Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 595 Posts

·
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are being built at every on and off ramp along the M4 highway... anyone know what they are? some traffic monitoring equipment?

·
the luf
791 Posts
^^ interesting.. it could be for traffic monitoring or maybe for electronic tolling? I think iv seen them on the N1 to Pretoria and there i know they are going to be tolling people.

·
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well there is literally one on every on and off ramp the length of the m4 from town to Umhlanga. I think it has more to do with the traffic monitoring system but wat i do not know. They will not toll the road as it is city owned and not sanral and the city is against more tolls within the city limits hence the massive opposition sanral faces here

·
the luf
791 Posts
The signboards are already in place (at least on the M4) but they've been useless so far...
agree, in JHB, they are either not on (maybe not working) or not updated.

What about the idea that they will be CCTVs in the near future and also work as information gathering?
Mike good point about the tolling.. forgot about that.

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
Lots going on , on our roads. Plenty traffic monitoring camera's are up all over the show, 2/3 on the M19, 2 at the Spagetti Junction & Im sure plenty others around the place.

Also the fly over at Warwick junction is really moving along fast now, will try and get some pic's tonight.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I drove down into that area a few days ago and was surprised that the inbound flyover has seemingly already touched down on Alice Rd, just before Russel Rd (or the foundation has been laid for this).

·
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and the R102 works are well underway. I was stuck in a traffic jam on this road on a sunday afternoon for over an hour just to go 5km. But once complete it will a better alternate route for many to the new airport

·
Registered
386 Posts
The following are some pics i took of the upgrade currently underway along the M41, between Northern Drive and Mt Edgecombe.

The upgrade that is underway is to widen the M41/R102 to 3 lanes in each direction, from the M4 (Northern Freeway) up to just before Tongaat (just past KSIA).

·
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ yup thats the huge works i was talking about. thanks for the pics. i need to get out on that road again (further out towards verulum) and you will see the massive and seriously impressive work they are doing. cutting into big hillsides, knocking down buildings. its big

1 - 20 of 595 Posts