Quick stats:

Area: 17.820 km²
Population: 3.556.000
Motorways: ~ 500 km
GDP per capita: $ 39.000

·
53,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that weird considering they became independent of the United Kingdom in 1961. More countries in the Persian Gulf use "motorway" (Bahrain and Qatar for example)

·
53,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road numbering system:

The Route Numbers 1 - 7 are ring roads of Kuwait City, which are generally bypasses a few kilometers apart. There are 7 ring roads. The radial roads of Kuwait City have two digits, starting from 40, running to 80, in multitudes of 10. Route 30, 40 and 50 run south, 70 runs southwest and 80 runs north.

There are no other cities in Kuwait outside the Kuwait City metropolitan area. Jahra could be considered a separate city, but it is actually more or less part of the Kuwait City metropolitan area, which also includes Al Faihalheel.

Hence, there are very few domestic destinations signed on the signs, apart from locations in the Kuwait City metropolitan area. Usually Iraq and Saudi Arabia are mentioned. There are 3 motorways running to the borders of these countries; 2 to SA and 1 to Iraq, which is the motorway to Basra.

·
53,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Botts Dots are typically U.S. though. They seems to be used in more Middle East countries. (snowplows are not BD-friendly, but I guess that's not so much a problem in the desert ;) )

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The Botts Dots are typically U.S. though. They seems to be used in more Middle East countries. (snowplows are not BD-friendly, but I guess that's not so much a problem in the desert ;) )
There is a complex colour system for cats eyes in the UK, but they are not used alone

·
Historian
467 Posts
Abu Dhabi uses them too, the other Emirates not so much though.

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
I'm not surprised at the American, influence (Botts Dots). US and Canadian oil companies have been in the gulf countries since the fifties. So it would stand to reason that that road building would reflect American standards.

They might not have snow plows, but they do have sand plows. :colgate: Not that they are often needed.

·
53,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone knows what the text on this road number says? Does it say something like "motorway" or "main road" or the street name?

·
53,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Oman also uses it on their road signs in the rare cases they actually indicate road numbers.

Kuwaiti road number:

Omani road number:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Driving through a sandstorm (with Indian music :))

Hwy 30 (Urban)

Driving through the desert from some military base.

Driving through the city.

I think Kuwait has American-style urban planning, more so than any other Arab country.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks. Oman also uses it on their road signs in the rare cases they actually indicate road numbers.

Kuwaiti road number:

Omani road number:
Well it's a very common word. 'Route Nationale' in Maghreb countries is equivalent to طريق وطني
so RN1 is also ط.و.1 . I think you'll find طريق on every country's signs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts