New business center for Kyoto.

Kyoto Kaizai Center 京都経済センター

Start construction: January 2017
Complete: November 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/E8j2z9DnmLm

http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/kensetsu/documents/keikaku.pdf

It will replace this:

http://saitoshika-west.com/blog-entry-3537.html
This project got a more traditional redesign. But even with the new look it was announced that the Apple Store Kyoto will open doors here when it's completed.

12/25

http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com/map/2017/12/20121225apple-s.html

·
48,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
J.GRAN THE HONOR Shimogamo no Mori would look more traditional if the windows had muntins referencing shōji, but then again, it's a leasehold property on the Shimogamo Shrine grounds to fund its repairs. Assuming the terms of the leasehold agreement go as planned, the condominium complex will be demolished in fifty years.

·
5,994 Posts
Thank you so much for the Kyoto updates. Great to finally see what hotel (Cross Hotel) will be built in place of the old Hub and bowling alley.

The Gate Rissei Kyoto is very encouraging - I always felt that the space around this area of Kiyamachi was being wasted. So good to see it being turned into something that everyone can use.

Finally, I spent many days at work looking out over the gap site that "Biostyle Project" will now fill. Great to see something finally happening with this space too!

Would be great to see more Kyoto updates Momo - I really enjoyed seeing these ones. Cheers!

·
48,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
90 Posts
It looks like they'll keep the main building (the building pictured), and demolish the rest to build guest rooms. Loving the quasi-traditional style being used. It'll blend in well with surrounding attractions like Kiyomizu-dera and Heian Shrine. Also, I welcome this extra tourism infrastructure in Kyoto!

Do you know the building schedule or date of completion?

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
It looks like they'll keep the main building (the building pictured), and demolish the rest to build guest rooms. Loving the quasi-traditional style being used. It'll blend in well with surrounding attractions like Kiyomizu-dera and Heian Shrine. Also, I welcome this extra tourism infrastructure in Kyoto!
It looks promising, albeit the current rendering is vague. I've seen some awful "quasi-traditional style" developments in Kyoto, like The Ritz-Carlton which is basically an elongated modernist glass box with a gable roof. I would have rather seen something more traditional but still functional for twenty-first century needs, incorporating classical Western and Japanese elements. Otherwise, you might as well go stararchitect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It looks promising, albeit the current rendering is vague. I've seen some awful "quasi-traditional style" developments in Kyoto, like The Ritz-Carlton which is basically an elongated modernist glass box with a gable roof. I would have rather seen something more traditional but still functional for twenty-first century needs, incorporating classical Western and Japanese elements. Otherwise, you might as well go stararchitect.
It could go either way, we'll have to wait for the actual building. The design reminds me of the machiya of Tenri, which is not the most traditional, but definitely not modern:

·
48,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
48,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
48,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
5,994 Posts
Thanks for the updates Momo, but disappointing to see the lack of respect that Cross Hotel is paying to Kawaramachi-dori. That facade is looking over the busiest street in downtown Kyoto, and yet it doesn't even have any windows?! Not great :(...... that said, the buildings that surround it are equally awful!!

The Park Hyatt in Higashiyama looks like it could be quite special, though.

·
2,592 Posts
^^
Maybe it is because the facade looking to that street is really close to the buildings that are actually in Kawaramachi-dori. So, if in a couple of years those lots are up for renovation, those windows facing the street would become windows facing just another wall. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts