SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This much needed thread is here to discuss everything from Cars to Highways and everything in between. If you have a hook up with a dealer to great place to see street racing this is for you. We want to hear it all:

Best cars... tell us
Best FWY... tell us
Do you like to cruise in your ride... tell us
planning on buying a new ride... tell us
should buses be allowed in carpool lane during rush hours?... tell us
What can we do about pot holes?...tell us
Rims, Rims, and more Rims... tell us
Do you get annoyed by those signals on fwy intersections?... tell us
Do you love splashing people at bus stops when it rains?... tell us
Should bike lanes be removed from busy avenues?... tell us

So kick off your shoes and grab a cold one fro the fridge and share with the rest of us and ideal car or fwy situation...:banana: :banana: :banana:

The best of both World's...

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an example how important FWY's are to L.A., Here's another breath taking 4 level intersection.....

Aerial view...

Ground view...

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as busiest.... you have:

just to name a few...

As far as widest, L.A.'s freeways are weird. Sometimes your on a fwy example the 10 and you have like 6 lanes than it drops down to four couple of miles ahead. The reason is L.A. freeways were never completed and you have lanes that just stop or merge...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As far as busiest.... you have:

just to name a few...

As far as widest, L.A.'s freeways are weird. Sometimes your on a fwy example the 10 and you have like 6 lanes than it drops down to four couple of miles ahead. The reason is L.A. freeways were never completed and you have lanes that just stop or merge...
You forgot the 91!! How could you forget the 91, that freeway is loaded, it´s always like number 3 or 4 on Traffic.com´s "Jam Factor" thingy, it´s like 14 lanes including FasTrak

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a map of LA Freeway system, not including adjacent Counties!!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Does anyone know how to minimize this to fit the screen?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Best cars... honda s2k, lotus elise/exige
Best FWY... 11o hov lane/210 between pasadena and san fernando/angels crest
Do you like to cruise in your ride... only if i want to be laughed at
planning on buying a new ride... every day im alive
should buses be allowed in carpool lane during rush hours?... i have no issues with that and i regularly us HOVs
What can we do about pot holes?...fill them?
Rims, Rims, and more Rims... speedline corse t 2017, everthing else is just a waste of money
Do you get annoyed by those signals on fwy intersections?... que?
Do you love splashing people at bus stops when it rains?... no thats mean, you should be nice to people taking the bus, there making the streets that much more pleasant to waste your life on
Should bike lanes be removed from busy avenues?... no, bikers dont drive. therefore streets are better of with them

·
Registered
346 Posts
LA: a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage.

Best car, Toyota Celica GTS 2003

Car I'd like to upgrade to, Nissan 350z

Best Freeway, the 90 Marina Freeway... I've never seen any traffic when I'm riding down it. But then again there is the clusterf*** once you hit the Lincoln intersection.

I love cruising in LA especially down Vista Del Mar. I become giddy on freeway intersections (see: 105-405, 105-110).

The Lotus Elise has insane styling and looks like some mutant insect. But in a good way. It's also kind of affordable for a import sports car... well that is before the US dollar hit rock bottom.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Yeah I was reading about the Lotus Elise and you get a good buy for your buck. The price tag is around 45K for a good looking roadster...If I was a roadster guy I would highly consider it. Since I'm an SUV/Truck addict, I would not mind driving an H1 on L.A. Streets. People would need to move over or get runed down, I luv it!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you really despise the environment you could trade up to a Mercedes Benz Unimog. You could literally roll over all the cars stuck in the HOV lanes :lol:

Surprised I haven't seen many of these rolling down Wilshire but maybe gas prices are scaring some people.

I have noticed a surprising drop in Hummer sightings. Anyone else notice this.
Either
a) gas price shock
b) the fad is done
c) H3 killed the brand
d) Al Gore is winning

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you really despise the environment you could trade up to a Mercedes Benz Unimog. You could literally roll over all the cars stuck in the HOV lanes :lol:

^ :eek:mg: that's sick.... I need to win the lotto!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So for now I'll settle for these bad boys.... cruizing down The Sunset Strip!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's another breath taking aerial of the 10 FWY in East L.A.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since i care very much for some of you, i figure I share some safety bulletins.... Then we all can get back to Cars & Freeways!!!!

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Gas Prices Hit An All-Time High
Lundberg Survey: National Average Price For A Gallon Of Regular Is $3.18

(CBS) The national average price for a gallon of regular gasoline is $3.18, according to the latest Lundberg Survey. As CBS News correspondent Randall Pinkston reports, that is the highest average cost per gallon ever in the United States – even adjusting for inflation.

These days, every trip to the gas station is an experience in sticker shock. A gallon of regular gas costs $3.24 in New York. It's $3.45 in Milwaukee, and $3.59 in Chicago.

This weekend alone, from Friday to Sunday, the average price of gas went up another 5 cents per gallon.

A gallon of mid-grade gasoline averaged $3.29, and premium cost $3.40, according to the latest Lundberg Survey of seven-thousand gas stations across the country.

The price hikes are giving oil companies another banner year. First quarter profits for Exxon-Mobil totaled nearly $9.3 billion. Royal Dutch Schell picked up more than $6.9 billion. The number was $4.7 billion for Chevron.

In a December interview with CBS News, Shell's president defended the industry's high profits.

"The profits are high because the crude price is high, and the cost of producing that crude has not materially changed," John Hofmeister said. "Future investments cost more money."

Oil executives downplay the amount of fuel that can be produced from home grown sources like ethanol.

"I think independence is naive," Hoffmeister told CBS News.

U.S. inventories are at record lows for the pre-summer season – a sure fire formula for higher prices in the future. But many consumers are hurting right now.

To cope with climbing prices, commuters like Denise von Wilke are looking for every possible way to save. She drives more slowly and car pools with a co-worker for her 47-mile trip to work.

Von Wilke also uses the Internet to find bargains. She says she can find the lowest gas prices in all of New Jersey from her desk.

Across the country, the lowest price for regular fuel was $2.87 in Charleston, South Carolina, and the highest was in Chicago at $3.59 a gallon, according to the Lundberg Survey.

Higher fuel costs are driving many Americans to mass transit. The American Transportation Association reports more than 10 billion trips on trains and buses last year – the highest use of public transportation in 49 years.

© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Thanks for the interesting article.... no worries gas will eventually come down in price.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts