SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this LA TIMES article about an artist named Raymond Pettibon. He is a native hermosa beach resident who's real name is Raymond Ginn. The article said his brother is a guy named Greg Ginn. He got his start making flyers and artwork for Greg Ginn (UCLA grad and native hermosa beach resident) band BLACK FLAG. Pettibon is huge deal now and show in retropsectives worldwide (another monster of LA contemporary art, born and raised).

I researched more on Black Flag and at allmusic.com they have a biography that says "no band did more to cultivate the underground rock scene than Black Flag". They had 4 different singers, 4 drummers, 2 guitartists, 3 bassists over the bands career, but it didn't matter who was in the band because Black Flag and their black bar symbols
were a punk rock institution more than any other band today. They formed in 1976, so were around as early as the London and NY punk bands. Then Greg Ginn formed a label called SST and had bands Sonic Youth, Husker DU, Dinosaur JR, Meat puppets, Minutemen and others who were the hugest acts in American underground rock. The critics say that basically these bands formed what would become Nirvana and mainstream alternative rock.

It made me realize the power of LA. You rise to the top here and you are a leader in the nation/world. Plus this shows how LA is also huge in underground culture (not just cheesy teeny bob). It is one of thousands of examples. But we already knew that.

Just realize that all of underground and alternative rock was shaped by the suburbs of LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
airmale007 said:
What exactly is "underground" rock?
FROM WHAT I READ ABOUT BLACK FLAG AND THAT EARA, AMERICAN UNDERGROUND ROCK WAS A NETWORK OF ROCK BANDS AND LABELS THAT EXISTED AND SUPPORTED THEMSELVES OUTSIDE THE MAINSTREAM RECORD LABELS LIKE WARNER BROTHERS. FROM MY READING IT WAS A BIG DEAL IN THE 80S AND 90S AND STILL EXISTS TO THIS DAY. aND THE KIDS FROM LA DID MORE TO CULTILVATE AND BUILD IT THAN ANY OTHER CITY. IT'S COOL. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: LA IS CITY THAT RULES THE MAINSTREAM AND THE UNDERGROUND.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts