Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I'm adjusting my habits towards a car lite lifestyle. Anyways, one of the problems I was having was finding a pool to swim at. Well, changing gyms wasnt going to work, so I decided to look into public pools. What I found, was that if you have a city of LA library card, you can use any LA city pool for free rather than paying the $1.50 each time you go. Luckily for me, I still have my old LA address on my license, so I was able to get a library card that doesnt expire for 3 years. I guess there are a handful of indoor pools in the city, many at high schools, that are available year round.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Why don't you move to an apartment complex that offers a pool. If your stuck on a long lease hen your best option would be your LA public library card while you cheat the system telling them your an L.A.Resident. So while we Angelinos pay OT for that lifeguard, security guard, janitor and manager so "Slongfullerton a non LA City Resident" can take a dip and swim for free...

I thought only Illegal Immigrants would freeload off public services...:eek:hno:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres an old saying, "Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house." I guess you could complain about me using the system, but if I were you, I would be a lot happier that theres one less car on the road. We're all aware of your obsession with driving ferney, so just be happy that congestion on Lincoln Blvd is one car lighter. :p

Anyways, regarding the pools, I just went to the Venice High pool today and they use waaaaaaay less chlorine that in most sports clubs pools that I've been in and have more lanes to boot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's good to know there are public pools available. I'm used to seeing outdoor public pools and wondered why I never saw many in LA. I guess they are enclosed on HS property. Westchester has an outdoor public pool but I think it is closed? I don't know for what reason though, sort of sad.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
So how are you getting around "solong"? What busses are you taking since I don't believe you live around any rail lines? Are you walking mostly? What?

·
Banned
957 Posts
Most public pools are sewers, but the nicest hiden secret in LA is the rustic canyon public pool. the water is cold but it is not that crowded and in the shade.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So how are you getting around "solong"? What busses are you taking since I don't believe you live around any rail lines? Are you walking mostly? What?
im taking the bus full time to and from work now. I'm even giving up my parking space starting next month for an extra $100/month (tax free!!!!) I'm also using my bike to get to the pool, so I really don't have much need for my car. unfortunately my job requires that i get to other parts of town on occasion, but that will be the only time that ill really need my car, well that and when i have to go out of town.

as for the comment about the pools being sewers, that certainly isnt the case with the venice pool, its very clean, except for that sock floating around at the bottom of the pool last night.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
im taking the bus full time to and from work now. I'm even giving up my parking space starting next month for an extra $100/month (tax free!!!!) I'm also using my bike to get to the pool, so I really don't have much need for my car. unfortunately my job requires that i get to other parts of town on occasion, but that will be the only time that ill really need my car, well that and when i have to go out of town.

as for the comment about the pools being sewers, that certainly isnt the case with the venice pool, its very clean, except for that sock floating around at the bottom of the pool last night.
Hey can we move this over to the Car-free/lite thread? I'll copy and paste your last comment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts