Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to get into a city vs. city thing, but this just came to my attention. It's out of NEW YORK magazine from last december.

Text Size:AAA
Because We Can Be Defiantly Deluded
By Jonathan S. Paul

New Yorkers consider it axiomatic that our tap water tastes better than anyone else’s. The notion is up there with walking-and-talking speed as a point of civic pride. Here’s the catch: It appears not to be true. Recently, we assembled a panel of experts for an unscientific blind tasting of water from here and five other cities: Paris; Los Angeles; Seattle; Golden, Colorado; and Newark. According to our aficionados, not only does New York not have the best water, but we have the worst. A shock? Sure. An embarrassment? Nah. Screw the evidence. The very fact that we’re wrong only serves to prove that we’re proud.

First place: Los Angeles
“Exceptional. Like a bottled water.”
—Robert Condon, server, l’Atelier de Joël Robuchon

Second place: Paris
“The nose was bright and clear, but the taste was relatively neutral.”
—Richard Brierley, Christie’s head of north American wine sales

Third Place: Golden, Colorado
“Slightly chlorinated, but with a nice mineral taste.”
—Condon

Fourth place: Newark and Seattle (tie)
Newark: “Bright and flavorful; it had a minerality I quite liked.”
—Brierley
Seattle: “Sharp, crisp; the proper balance of minerals.”
—Diane Drey, president, Snowbird Water-Bottling Company

Fifth place: New York
“Metallic, chlorinated flavor. Smells like a Parks Department swimming pool.”
—Condon

Copyright © 2007, New York Magazine Holdings LLC. All Rights Reserved.

New York Magazine Contact Us Site Map Media Kit Privacy Policy Terms Magazine Customer Service Newsletters RSS Feeds

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
That must be the reason I must have beautiful glowing skin....:banana:

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Here's your project for the week. Get some tap water, boil it, and then put it in the refridgerator. After a while, try it and see how you like it. (Believe me, you'll like it as much as you like bottled water)

EDIT: If you're like me, you can just skip the boiling part.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Here's your project for the week. Get some tap water, boil it, and then put it in the refridgerator. After a while, try it and see how you like it. (Believe me, you'll like it as much as you like bottled water)

No need to boil L.A. water, a lot of people think it's got germs and bacteria in it, that's NOT true. In fact it has none of that...but what makes Los Angeles water bad is all the fucking additives they have in it to kill bacteria, algae, etc. There's chlorine, benzene and even fluoride in our water. Too much chemicals...it also makes people's skin dry.

Bottled water isn't that pure either, especially when it's stored in a plastic containers. Over time, chemicals from the plastic seep into the water.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts

^ Damn your cheap.... besides tap water is nasty!!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Bottled water isn't that pure either, especially when it's stored in a plastic containers. Over time, chemicals from the plastic seep into the water.

^Yeah if you keep it in the container like 15 years, problaly so....

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
^Yeah if you keep it in the container like 15 years, problaly so....
Au contraire, my lesser-educated friend :) ...there's already chemicals in the water by the time it arrives from the bottling plant to the store. Even more after it sits in the store for weeks or months. Scientific tests done on bottled water have proven that.

Those chemicals won't kill you but they have been proven in certain people to cause headaches or even depression.

Something to think about.

·
Top of the World
368 Posts
It depends on the building you are in.... LA can have the best water in the world, but if you are in an old structure with old pipes (crappy plumbing) then that is something that will affect this too...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember the old blues song......

California water tastes just like wine....
This New York water...tastes like turpentine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is a new one! Wait till my buddy's wife from the Chicago area hears about this. According to her-"Water in the Great Lakes region tastes so pure!" ..yeah whatever! It's worst to hear her say it, in her oh-so-whiney, heavy-breathing, nasal voice ..what can I say? *shrugs* She's an accountant by day and a heavy chain-smoker by night...hahahhaa..

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
It depends on the building you are in.... LA can have the best water in the world, but if you are in an old structure with old pipes (crappy plumbing) then that is something that will affect this too...
I've looked further into this topic and that is a major factor. Also, certain parts of town have aging water mains with lots of sedimental build-up over the years. The DWP is gradually replacing the older mains with newer ones, as they have replaced the one in my neighborhood just two years ago.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
This is a new one! Wait till my buddy's wife from the Chicago area hears about this. According to her-"Water in the Great Lakes region tastes so pure!" ..yeah whatever! It's worst to hear her say it, in her oh-so-whiney, heavy-breathing, nasal voice ..what can I say? *shrugs* She's an accountant by day and a heavy chain-smoker by night...hahahhaa..

^^ Yeah what is she really smoking, is the real question?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts