SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a blog (5th and pring) writer who attended a LA Live meeting yesterday, the Hotel will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi, beating the 1018 foot Library Tower three blocks away!!! This would obviously be Huge News. Other Blogs have it as the tallest Hotel west of the Mississippi, making it the third tallest building in LA. Either way, the LA Live project is looking better than ever! Here is the Blog report.

big plans for south park
I didn't have to read between the lines of Tim Leiweke's briefing on Wednesday to understand how LA Live will differentiate itself from all the other developments happening all over downtown. He stated the goal, " ...to put Los Angeles back on the map as the leader in the tourist and convention business". They're not in the business of creating neighborhoods, AEG wants to create a world-class destination. He went on to say, "Every major event in the country should be ours." Talk about throwing down the gauntlet. AEG wants to make sure that the Grammys, MTV Awards, X-Games, WrestleMania, the Source Awards, Billboard Music Awards, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, the Nickelodeon Spoogefest (or whatever it is they call that thing where celebs get slimed) and all other awards shows and events to happen at LA Live. Specifically, AEG's wish list includes: "premieres, music events, post-parties, street fairs and celebrations". The aim is to revitalize the Figueroa Corridor so that it is as well known world-wide as Time Square. The first step is to build everything, then "we'll see if we can sell our city".

This is the Hilton, doesn't it look like a Nokia phone? (click on thumbnail to view larger image)

On what is currently parking lots 3 and 4, they will build LA Live, which includes a Hilton Hotel which will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi (that distinction currently belongs to the Library Tower). That's 1800 rooms, with 100 condos somewhere in the mix, and what I'm guessing will be a really big ballroom (and meeting rooms), linked to the Regal Theatres. I'm looking at my notes and under 40% hospitality, I've scribbled 4 million square feet - is that right? Seems like a lot of square footage. The Hilton will face Olympic Boulevard and the Regal Theatres will be on the SE corner of Olympic and Cherry. There's a small street separating the two buildings, I'm guessing that's where the limos will pull up to start the red carpet arrivals.

This is the Hilton at night, it should look cool next to Staples.
(Click on thumbnail to view larger image.)

The Nokia Theater is a 7200-seat venue which Leiweke says "is perfect for award shows".

Nokia Theatre faces 11th Street and Staples Center and will have the 40,000 square foot Nokia Plaza right next to it. On the other side of the Plaza will be a sports grill and Leiweke said it would be a great public space where, "they can begin and end the Los Angeles Marathon... and a great place to put the Kings outdoor skating rink". I guess that means we won't have ice skating in Pershing Square during the holidays anymore.

I have "Grammy Museum" somewhere in my notes, but I don't know where that fits in on the map below (click on thumbnails for larger view).

Leiweke also said that they've had traffic engineers working on this for the past eight years so he didn't see this development impacting traffic negatively for the area. Sure, And parking will be a breeze, too.

Ground will break on Nokia Theatre and the Plaza in August 2005 and open in 2007 (click on thumbnails to view larger images).

On LAVoice.org, LisaStrouss posted her notes on attending the same briefing. She has't followed the project or know much about downtown Los Angeles, so she has an "interesting" take on things. I don't know much about the project, just what I learned from the briefing, but having worked for City Hall and lived downtown since 1990, I know downtown very well. Read LongBeachUrbanists' comments (okay, read all the comments), he/she has been following this project and downtown development for a while, so he/she's got mad knowledge. Also, LosAngelesBeauty has more and better pictures posted on the skyscraper forum. I know what you're thinking, how can they possibly be better? Well they definitely have more.
# posted by celia : 5:06 AM 0 comments

http://5thandspring.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats true, but in the other blog it mentions 65 stories, which still wouldnt be the tallest in LA but it would make it at least 850 feet, which is still something to be excited about.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That'd be dope, but I'll miss the Library Tower being the tallest. It always gives the DTLA skyline a "complete" look. Like, all the other buildings circle around it. It's kind of like a vinyl record, all the other buildings on the black part and the Library Tower in the middle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^as are forum administrators! Oh snap! Just kidding. Tho, there is an administrator on ssp that can boil my blood.

As far as LA Live. I think we've figured it out. Seems to be a miscomunication. Tallest hotel west of the mississippi. Tho, as jason implies, I'm sure that none of the PR's were quick to fix that misread and might have even encouraged it.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Read the top post. A blogger went to an AEG Sponsored meeting and they provided renderings and information about the whole project. We kind of figured out that its not going to be the tallest building, rather the tallest Hotel west of the Mississippi so that would put it at at least 700 feet, but if it is at 65 stories then it will be at least 800 feet. by the way, the link you provided is an old diagram with the height listed at 45 stories, which was never the case and it cant be only 179 m.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LosAngelesSportsFan said:
by the way, its not just a hotel, it includes 200 condos too, but still i dont see it being a 1000 footer.
that's what I meant. It's got a hotel and it needs subsidies. They're not going to build 1000+ because it's not market driven. LA isn't there yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jasonhouse said:
Bloggers are notoriously full of shit, as are developer's PR guys... Between the two of them, you need a sewage plant to sift through all the crap and get to the truth.
I was just going off my notes on what Tim Leiweke said at the meeting. If they misled or issued erroneous information, take it up with AEG. If you read my post I think you'll see that I was upfront about how my notes were ass, that I was scribbling furiously to get all the information down, and when I was commenting on the proceedings rather than transcribing what was said. If you didn't read it and just wanted to issue a sweeping generalization about how bloggers are full of shit, thanks for including me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's short for web log. It's kinda like websites for dummies (the people who publish them, not the people who read them). Click on the hyperlink on my sig and it'll take you to mine.

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
Well, weather or not this new info. is a bunch of BS, everything said in it is sure in the realm of possibility, and the idea of the tallest hotel in the west, this would surely put Los Angeles back on the skyscraper map. for at least a few minutes (no thanks to Dubai !!!!) This is a very good sales pitch, along with the rest of the proposed development, and non related developments, adjacent to this one, this vision could verywell be a reality. and after seeing the latest renderings of the hotel tower, (esp. the one viewing the narrow face, at night) it certainly looks 60+ storys tall. the only thing that could dispell this news (to me anyway) is the money issue that held this project up since last year. a larger (higher) tower costs more money............"show me the money" and even tho they have done some spactacular things with renforced concrete these days, i don't know if a sismic zone 4 is ready for a 900+ foot concrete tower. structural steel costs more money. but overall i would certainly like to see the tallest hotel west of the mississippi go up in Los Angeles, and as far as the "times square of the west" idea for the Figueroa Corridor, increace the density of the project and corridor area by about 15 to 20 %, and maybe so...........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts