SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would start a proper thread for this development.

Anyway, I had a long conversation with the ISA guys at the exhibition and was very impressed with what they had to say. I also asked about Criterion Place, but more of that later. Just to clarify, they told me it is a couple of metres taller than Beetham but then, so what? Also, the diagram looked like it had 54 floors (which is what the planning notices say too). Although, I believe the top two "storeys" are reserved for "plant".

They have been working on this project for nearly two years and you can see it. A lot of the presentation was stuff included in the detailed plans that have been put to the council including lots of renders from a various angles and long distance views. The stripey glass so beloved of ISA is back, but with a small twist. The red-colours on the smaller tower are a nod to the older buildings around and opposite on Wellington Street. The colours will be subtle shades of deep red fading as it moves up. A similar fading effect will be installed on the main tower too. Apparently, from inside you cannot see any colour effect at all!

I hope those who went to see it filled the feedback form in...I asked for a restaurant on top of the smaller tower which might be possible...as there are serviced apartments on the upper floors and such an "aparthotel" could justify a restaurant on top! I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in operating Yorkshire's tallest resto...also, seeing as the smaller tower faces the main part of the city, the views would be good :)

The developers will be looking for an average of £350 per sqft for the residential portion of the buildings. Which is what has been achieved over at Bridgewater Place apparently.

If/when LCC approves later this year (and having worked closely with the concil then we can assume it's a shoo-in), the build is due to start in Jan 2007 and take three years. All parts of the scheme will be built simultaneously with four cranes on site.

Criterion Place is more problematic. Wranglings over land ownership and other site-related disputes has delayed the project by two years. Also, confidence in the market has wobbled a bit and the high build costs of the cantilevered buildings made the developers nervous. I also asked about the rumour of a height increase, but they said ISA are happy with it for this site at 150-160m. Anyway, they firmly believe it will happen eventually...

So, we can look forward to Leeds' first skyscraper in the coming months and years ahead!

·
Registered
244 Posts
i find it surpising that almost no one has seen the error in this building.
it meant to be a landmark building, but it does not have any plan at this stage of how to heat it. I asked them, they said that they were considering under floor heating-this when there is a plentiful source of heat from the offices, TV’s, microwaves and ovens, and even people.
The feeling I got was that they just didn’t care, well the person i talked to anyway. all I got was "this building conforms to the highest government standards, but these are the minimum a building need to be allowed to be build.
Such a landmark building needs to be well ventilated heated and cooled efficiently and greenly, which can be done without too much hassle, all it needs is the planners, architects and investors to agree on it.
I would hate this building to get a reputation of being to hot, and muggy inside.
i'm intersted to see what cabe think of this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
great
i wanted to see the display in victoria quater the othe r day i **** make it
but i like the resteraunt aand if have any pics show em pls nice thread

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
The amount of glass should partially control the temperature, but much of the heat could be generated in certain areas of the building then fed through the rest of the building, particularly if its generated at the base so it rises through the building (obviously needs to be a bit more sophisticated, but that is a well known general principle used in many buildings; nothing new either).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Would you like to life at the top, when the air has been through nearly every floor?
my school( Lawnswood) is ventilated by the people moving around in it. Which sounded like the same principle I got from one of the architects-some fancy thing with doors.
I’m in the 6th from, at the top of the building and, thanks to the doors being closed all the time, the smell of young, unwashed in 6 month teenagers doesn’t get up.
Obviously this build is different, just really with that they had an environmental plan and heating and cooling plan for the building. all i got was, "were thinking of this"
this-when that have detailed and sophisticated plans for almost everything else. bah!P

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have yet to see plans for this project, however Ian Simpsons Architects have a lot of experience designing fully glazed buildings (Some built, many planned), so I wouldn't really worry about environmental design of the build.

The ISA projects I have seen contain a 'buffer zone' between external glazing and the glazing of say the lounge. The 'buffer zone' traps warm air during the winter months, stopping it escaping. In the summer louvres open within the external glazed wall allowing units to be naturally cooled and ventilated.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
One question I have about this development is the decision to go twin tower as opposed to single tower. Could it have been built even higher if single tower perhaps 200m+?

·
Registered
244 Posts
P.L said:
Have yet to see plans for this project, however Ian Simpsons Architects have a lot of experience designing fully glazed buildings (Some built, many planned), so I wouldn't really worry about environmental design of the build.

The ISA projects I have seen contain a 'buffer zone' between external glazing and the glazing of say the lounge. The 'buffer zone' traps warm air during the winter months, stopping it escaping. In the summer louvres open within the external glazed wall allowing units to be naturally cooled and ventilated.
this is that they said that they had heating problems is the past, worries me a bit.
a build so big, and there is no heat reuse from appliances- i would be astonished if the developers didnt want somthing like this, its an iconic thing to have.
the leeds met library is help up as one of the best there is, the vc loves it

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
magicrealist said:
Just thought I would start a proper thread for this development.

Anyway, I had a long conversation with the ISA guys at the exhibition and was very impressed with what they had to say. I also asked about Criterion Place, but more of that later. Just to clarify, they told me it is a couple of metres taller than Beetham but then, so what? Also, the diagram looked like it had 54 floors (which is what the planning notices say too). Although, I believe the top two "storeys" are reserved for "plant".

They have been working on this project for nearly two years and you can see it. A lot of the presentation was stuff included in the detailed plans that have been put to the council including lots of renders from a various angles and long distance views. The stripey glass so beloved of ISA is back, but with a small twist. The red-colours on the smaller tower are a nod to the older buildings around and opposite on Wellington Street. The colours will be subtle shades of deep red fading as it moves up. A similar fading effect will be installed on the main tower too. Apparently, from inside you cannot see any colour effect at all!

I hope those who went to see it filled the feedback form in...I asked for a restaurant on top of the smaller tower which might be possible...as there are serviced apartments on the upper floors and such an "aparthotel" could justify a restaurant on top! I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in operating Yorkshire's tallest resto...also, seeing as the smaller tower faces the main part of the city, the views would be good :)

The developers will be looking for an average of £350 per sqft for the residential portion of the buildings. Which is what has been achieved over at Bridgewater Place apparently.

If/when LCC approves later this year (and having worked closely with the concil then we can assume it's a shoo-in), the build is due to start in Jan 2007 and take three years. All parts of the scheme will be built simultaneously with four cranes on site.

Criterion Place is more problematic. Wranglings over land ownership and other site-related disputes has delayed the project by two years. Also, confidence in the market has wobbled a bit and the high build costs of the cantilevered buildings made the developers nervous. I also asked about the rumour of a height increase, but they said ISA are happy with it for this site at 150-160m. Anyway, they firmly believe it will happen eventually...

So, we can look forward to Leeds' first skyscraper in the coming months and years ahead!
great summary Magic, very comprehensive and encouraging stuff.

welcome to all be newbies - the Leeds thread seems to have grown plen ty more followers in the past couple of weeks. Good stuff - though no need for city vs city threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heat reuse from appliances is often used to supplement a heating strategy, rather than solely relying on it.

In buildings such as libraries/schools/offices where many electrical appliances are constantly used throughout the day in a concentrated area, design considerations can be taken into account.

In a residential building there are too many variables i.e. how can you control the length of time or when someone uses a computer, oven, TV etc.?

Basically using electrical appliances such as a computer, TV as a heat source is less efficient than using underfloor heating in a building of this type.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wish my computer would help heat me in winter. It only has 8 fans and sounds like a jet engine, but unfortunately it ain't up to warming me up :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Monsoon said:
Would you like to life at the top, when the air has been through nearly every floor?
my school( Lawnswood) is ventilated by the people moving around in it. Which sounded like the same principle I got from one of the architects-some fancy thing with doors.
I’m in the 6th from, at the top of the building and, thanks to the doors being closed all the time, the smell of young, unwashed in 6 month teenagers doesn’t get up.
Obviously this build is different, just really with that they had an environmental plan and heating and cooling plan for the building. all i got was, "were thinking of this"
this-when that have detailed and sophisticated plans for almost everything else. bah!P
lol thought you were from Lawnswood when you mentioned the idiotic ventilation procedure at your school. You in Year 12 or 13?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Val Verde said:
One question I have about this development is the decision to go twin tower as opposed to single tower. Could it have been built even higher if single tower perhaps 200m+?
No. The fella said that 54 floors (approx 170m) is at the economically viable limit of tall buildings for Leeds at the moment. Any taller and the cost curve changes. Apparently. I would be interested to hear from anyone who can explain the relationship between height, costs, revenue and yield. Maybe one of the stoodents on here could set it up as a geography project ;) It's obviously not a straight line relationship...

·
Tax avoider
24,117 Posts
magicrealist said:
They have been working on this project for nearly two years and you can see it.
Can see what?

A lot of the presentation was stuff included in the detailed plans that have been put to the council including lots of renders from a various angles and long distance views.
You mean these renders? Where can I see them?! I want to see them!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, shame y'all couldn't make down to VQ on Satdi! I guess the detailed pp will contain all the images on display. Need to get down the planning office and snap a few pics. Although I did ask if all the stuff on display was in the public domain and they said it was.

Perhaps Gothic could use his contacts to get some images from ISA. Or anyone else really...

·
Registered
244 Posts
magicrealist said:
No. The fella said that 54 floors (approx 170m) is at the economically viable limit of tall buildings for Leeds at the moment. Any taller and the cost curve changes. Apparently. I would be interested to hear from anyone who can explain the relationship between height, costs, revenue and yield. Maybe one of the stoodents on here could set it up as a geography project ;) It's obviously not a straight line relationship...
lol already done my coursework.
However the cost/benefit goes something like high at the bottom and top, and low in the middle, although this would vary on the size of the building. a good example of this is one of make’s designs. It’s like 2 ice cream cones placed end to end

The limit they are talking about is simply demand, and what risk there is. If they think that (from the research) the millionaires will buy the million pound pads then they will build it. Plus whether there is demand for the more reasonable units etc.
Y13 btw

1 - 20 of 740 Posts