Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
La Porte, Indiana has a population of 22,000 and is the seat of La Porte County. It was founded in 1832. Its name comes from location where a wide Indian trail opened from forest onto prairie, "La Porte", or The Door.

La Porte's City Hall, built as a post office in 1912, was designed by James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect for the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

La Porte County's Romanesque courthouse sit in an attractive square in the center of the city's central business district. It was designed by Brentwood S. Tolan and built 1890-1894. Tolan designed several Indiana courthouses, and is best known for the Allen County Courthouse in Fort Wayne.

Hospital

Fire Station 1 is now a Senior Activity Center

Public Library

The building used by Boston Middle School was formerly La Porte High School

The central business district is clean and attractive, with a fair representation of vintage commercial buildings.

The Maple City theme shows up in the sidewalks. Downtown has nice green spaces with sidewalk furniture that follows a coordinated design.

Sponsored planters add some color.

The Rumely name occupies a prominent place in the city's history. Meinrad Rumely came from Germany in 1848 and set up a blacksmith shop that was the origin of what came to be one of the world's leading manufacturers of farm machinery. The company was acquired by Allis Chalmers during the great depression.

"The Eleventh Hour." I wonder what the history is behind this symbol on this building.

A shopping center stands on part of the former site of the Rumely works, and many of the structures and the smokestack have been razed. Some of the buildings have been "modernized" with cladding and are occupied by small industries, and the power house that ran the factory stands pretty much in ruins.

This is page 1 of 2
Go to Last Page

·
Registered
551 Posts
I love when you see small towns where the actual old part of town is beautiful and lively, not completely run down by by malls and bix box retailers.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
La Porte is just a few years away from being swallowed by Chicagoland. Might be a wise investment.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts