Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
La Porte's depot stands beside the tracks once traveled by the New York Central Railroad's legendary Twentieth Century Limited. It had become decrepit looking, and the last time I looked at it, I thought it was a sure candidate for one of the railroad's midnight raids, where they come in with a bulldozer and a backhoe in the wee hours of the morning in order to not attract attention from preservationists.<br>
The building's red clay tile roof has been restored and the exterior and surroundings have been cleaned up and refurbished and work is ongoing to renovate and update the interior and mechanicals. It will become home for the Chamber of Commerce and possibly offices and public events.

The historic district has some impressive homes and a pleasant character with big trees.

A.J. Rumely Sr. was the last surviving child of company founder Meinrad Rumely. He died in 1963.

This nicely-detailed place is a work in progress. I spoke briefly with the owner; he said it's sometimes slow going, but they'll get there.

I love the windows, the tile roof and the general style of this place. If it were mine, though, I'd be concerned about the damage those vines will do to stucco.

La Porte has a strong German heritage.

Soldiers Memorial Park encompasses 556 acres of mostly-natural land and fronts on Stone Lake. The park offers a swimming beach, a picnic shelter and Cummins Lodge, an enclosed building.

Goodnight from the ducks at Stone Lake.

This is Page 2 of 2
Go to First Page

·
Registered
650 Posts
Love the train depot... Is that under consideration for reuse if/when NI rail service expands?

Thank for the tour of a fantastic town.

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the train depot... Is that under consideration for reuse if/when NI rail service expands?
I don't know about that. I'm skeptical that NS would acquiesce to commuter trains unless the state of federal government pays for additional track capacity.

La Porte is only 11 miles / 15 minutes from the South Shore Line's Carroll Avenue station in Michigan City; I stayed at the Super 8 Motel in La Porte that evening and caught a train to Chicago the next morning, and it was a very quick, easy drive. I suspect a lot of people make that commute on a regular basis, and I think quite a few South Shore employees live in La Porte.

It's hard to predict what market forces will bring as petroleum prices increase. The incremental approach might be a connecting bus shuttle betweel La Porte and Carroll Avenue. South Shore once ran coordinated bus service to places as far away as Detroit (from South Bend) and St. Joseph/Benton Harbor, Michigan (from Michigan City).

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Indiana has some of the most beautiful small towns in the country.
definitely! The State has such a range in terms of topography and natural ammenities that it is very hard to classify the Hoosier state! "The Region" is also very underappreciated by the southern 2/3 of the State.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts