Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congestion is spreading to carpool lanes

Rush-hour speeds in some stretches are falling below 45 mph, prompting transportation officials to consider extreme measures to get them to move faster.

By Rong-Gong Lin II and Sharon Bernstein, Times Staff Writers
1:19 PM PDT, June 22, 2007

California's growing network of carpool lanes is so congested that many of the lanes have fallen out of compliance with federal regulations, prompting officials this week to consider radical measures to reduce congestion.

Nearly one-third of carpool lane miles do not meet federal minimum standards -- flowing at slower than 45 mph during evening rush hour, according to a Caltrans study.

Some major Southern California routes are far worse, including portions of the 405 Freeway from the South Bay through Orange County as well as the 5 and 210 freeways. Local officials say the 91 Freeway carpool lanes connecting Orange County and the Inland Empire can slow to 10 mph during rush hour, with portions of the 55 and 57 freeways doing even worse.

The findings come amid a growing concern among transportation officials and motorists that the state's 1,350 miles of carpool lanes are losing their effectiveness as a tool for encouraging carpooling.

More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-carpool23jun23,0,2933034.story?coll=la-home-center

·
Registered
346 Posts
Anecdotally, on Wednesday I traveled for the first time in a carpool lane during AM rush hour traffic (from LA to Tijuana Mexico) and it was heavenly. It only sucked for a stretch near San Diego that did not have a carpool lane :bash: that was so cruel. Only took 2 hours to come back from the border at night, never realized it was so close.

·
Entre Mundos
2,084 Posts
Is that some sort of strip club??? Unfortunately my trip was all business.
hahaha ... well my friend TJ is not all about strip clubs :bash:

Revolution is an Avenue where tourist go when they visit Tijuana, it has stores, clubs, souveniers etc ...

about the traffic, I went to Riverside two weeks ago and man, the 15 and the 91 where unbelievable! too much traffic :/

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good to know! Yea, I didn't really travel to the tourist destinations (unless you call Planmex and Panasonic tourist destinations!) but will have to visit again now that I know it is so close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts