Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MTA board is now open to toll roads

The transit agency agrees to develop plans for high-occupancy toll lanes -- which it has traditionally resisted doing -- within three years.

By Rong-Gong Lin II, Times Staff Writer
3:04 PM PDT, June 28, 2007

In a major shift in philosophy, Los Angeles County transit leaders agreed today to develop plans for toll roads in the county within three years.

The decision by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board of Directors comes amid criticism that Los Angeles remains one of the few metropolitan areas in the country not to experiment with so-called congestion pricing, in which motorists are charged to use certain roads based on the amount of traffic.

Last month, the county lost out on a major federal grant because it did not have any congestion pricing programs in the works.

London and New York have garnered headlines for efforts to charge motorists who drive into those cities during rush hour. Closer to home, Orange and San Diego counties have toll roads and high occupancy toll lanes, in which motorists pay based on the level of congestion.

Traditionally, L.A. officials have been cool to congestion pricing, with critics calling them "Lexus Lanes" for the rich that take money away from rail and bus services. But the county's worsening traffic — and the need for more revenue for transit projects — has changed some minds.

"At some point, we have to reduce the number of single-passenger automobiles if we want to reduce gridlock in L.A. County," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.

No specific projects have been identified.

One idea is to allow solo motorists who pay a toll to use freeway carpool lanes, something already done on the 91 Freeway in Orange County.

---end of news article

For reference: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hotlanes29jun29,0,1208459.story?coll=la-home-center

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is excellent news, in my opinion. Let's hope that the revenues are used toward accelerating the construction of mass transit projects.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Let's take out some regular lanes and make them toll lanes and see how many people take public transportation once that happens.

·
city driver
469 Posts
Tolls, shmolls..

I just want them to take cars off some major roads completely. Or at least make bus-only lanes. I know it sucks that cars still have to go into those lanes to turn right.. why not make a "no-right turn" light that doesn't allow cars into the lane when a bus is coming?

We need to start thinking about this like an organism or it will seriously die

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Toll roads in Los Angeles freeways are such bullshit. Doesn't MTA get enough transportation money to cover these freeways. Besides we pay taxes here in California that go to caltrans for maintenance and whatnot. I a tax paying citizen is sooooooooooooooo against toll roads. Hell no it's no fair to pay high ass taxes for caltrans so we can get unlimited freeway access, then have to pay to use them. What a double **** their given us... Bastards!!!!!

I need to find out who, where, is also against this stupid idea. To join forces and find every possible way to stop this stupid idea. Also who ever thought of this in the MTA board meeting needs to get his ass fired........:bash:

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Finally.......

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Ferney, if you don't want toll roads, then tell Schwarzenegger to stop taking money from the spillover fund. That's one of the reasons why the MTA has no money and why we need toll roads. Basically, oil and motor companies rule the government here.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I'm searching online for a group or association that's totally against bullshit toll roads. o I can support the cause and stop this toll road nonsense before it gets out of hand...

I will protest till we win back our freeways and not get dicked and have to pay twice for something we have a right to at no cost!!!!

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
^^As long as prisons are put above transportation, this is what will happen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Toll roads suck except the 73, which is quite awesome. Build toll roads for new freeways or HOT lanes. This at least gives travelers the option of paying or waiting in traffic if you are short on change.

SF sucks with toll bridges everywhere and impossible to avoid. I hated it. :bash:

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
The 73... hummmmmm that's the one of Irvine into San juan Capistrano right? If so, they charge like $3.75 for 5 miles of toll road. I don't think so best option carpool your ass from the 405 South into the 5 South and it's almost as fast and it's completely free!!!!

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Won't the toll only be for vehicles carrying only a single occupant?

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
^^Well that depends. I've heard that they might raise the minimum to 3 occupants.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
The carpool lanes aren't up to federal standings, so how else can you up the speed?

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
^^I would assume that's what they do, and that's the impression that other people are getting. Don't worry Ferney, if you don't like it, just join the Auto Club.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts