Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went last night to Union Station to pick up my cousin coming from San Diego. I noticed that U.S. is excellent from inside but the minute you step out is dead as a door nail. First of parking sucks, then there's not too many choices in bus service on Alameda. I did not see one taxi and street life seemed dangerous. So I came to thinking why can't we have a more active Station since it's the entry into Los Angeles.......

So this is what I would picture as a more (Useful) and active Station. They need to make it bigger with multiple levels. So we can have an MTA hub with at least 20+ lines and some Dash service as well. Another level can be strickly Flyaway and even have Greyhound on site. Then we have the High Speed Train coming into LA, they would need a different level.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Please don't even get me started. I think Union Station is cute, def not a Grand Central Terminal, but it's charming. Truth is the station is not busy enough to warrant a multi-million dollar makeover that could go towards building more infrastructure. Unfortunately the gateway to LA is LAX and either the 105 and/or 405 freeways. Until that changes, as in Metrolink and/or urban rail ridership increasing exponentially, it's good enough. Just my opinion.

It is strange though that their aren't more taxis around the station though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isn't a lot of the bus service directed to the Patsaouras (spelling?) Transit Plaza to the rear of the complex? That's the impression that I got. Alameda isn't the main bus connection area.

Parking may suck, but it's our central train station... it's usually expected.

Connections need to be improved, but there's no need for an expansion. There's an entire wing (albeit without any platforms attached) that's not being used for anything but occasional filming or special events (as far as I know).

What I really think is that they should open up a little cafe outside connected to that beautiful courtyard on the south side of the building. I actually think they have several courtyards. The cushions in the waiting area could use some replacement as well.

Otherwise I think any addition to the station would be unauthentic and unnecessary without additional rail and bus service. Look for the number of people to multiply greatly once the Eastside Gold Line and the Expo Line are finished.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Erm, there ARE about 20 Metro Bus Lines that go through there, plus DASH service. They all go to the "Patsaorous Transit Plaza" at the back of the station. You probably didn't go there or see it. You have to walk all the way down the main concourse then take an escalator up one level. There are signs pointing to it, but they are somewhat confusing.

There's also the Red Line, which allows people to be whisked to downtown, Koreatown, Hollywood or North Hollywood without ever going outside or seeing Alameda Street or the surrounding neighborhood. There's also a plaza off to the side of the baggage claim area where long distance buses stop (not Greyhound, but Amtrak buses).

I agree that the neighborhood right outside US is not too inspiring, but if you think it's dangerous, try living where I do, at Sixth and Main!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, there's a lot of work going on in that area.. Olvera Street is becoming nicer, and there's several housing developments that are gonna open up soon. There's several more in the works around the south Chinatown/Union Station area. So that area will improve.

·
Banned
957 Posts
They might be able to to build a terminal underground, or build a new one on the other side of the tracks, where it is mostly rundown wharehouses, and a prison.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still feel that Union Station needs more than what it already offers. I don't know if they can build underground since the Red Line is already there. It's best that they built behind and make it bigger. also sometimes "cute" doesn't cut it for an important entry into the city. I myself was disappointed just imagine the millions who walk thru those halls and gates on a daily basis....

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Wow Ferney! I think you are slowly becoming a transit advocate. **** the Mayans. I don't think we'll have to wait unitl 2012 for the world to end!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I simply want the best for our city. I'm tired of always sloppy seconds when it comes to other bigger, older, and uglier cities out there...... Besides I was never really against public Transit. I even took a ride on the Orange Line a couple of months ago.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
LosAngelesSportsFan said:
thats like saying, im not racist i have two black friends. LOL, im just messing with you ferny. :)
Beat me to it.

But personally, I like Union Station. In terms of layout, there is nothing wrong with it. And it is a major hub for buses. As well as Pastarous (sp) Plaza, you have the El Monte busway right down the street.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
The last great train station to be built. Seeing that development is finally starting to happen around that area, the station will inevitably benefit. I don't know if LA has been served "sloppy seconds". The city has a fantastic freeway system and many grand boulevards with ornamented medians. We're just romancing the days of the great train stations but the city did not really grow up in that era. We are now just beginning to work on "real" rapid mostly/all grade seperated systems.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
made my way through the 10 east bus way from union station! man i have never goten home so fast. no one was on the road it was amazing, like my own personal freeway

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went last night to Union Station to pick up my cousin coming from San Diego. I noticed that U.S. is excellent from inside but the minute you step out is dead as a door nail. First of parking sucks, then there's not too many choices in bus service on Alameda. I did not see one taxi and street life seemed dangerous. So I came to thinking why can't we have a more active Station since it's the entry into Los Angeles.......

So this is what I would picture as a more (Useful) and active Station. They need to make it bigger with multiple levels. So we can have an MTA hub with at least 20+ lines and some Dash service as well. Another level can be strickly Flyaway and even have Greyhound on site. Then we have the High Speed Train coming into LA, they would need a different level.

It sounds like you've been there once and formed an opinion based on incomplete information. As evidenced by your missing the bus plaza (and all of the signs pointing to it!), you didn't even take the time to explore the station before forming an opinion. Based on your complaints regarding parking, I'm guessing that you didn't park in the on-site garage. Perhaps you missed that as well since it's near the bus plaza.

BTW, Union Station is private property that is owned by Catellus. I'm not sure from your post whether they are the ones that you feel should be improving the station or if you were advocating the use of taxpayer money. However, I can't see what would motivate Catellus or the MTA to spend the amount of money that you are suggesting. Maybe you should take another trip to see what's there, and then you'll be able to offer informed suggestions.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
"Ferney" did you even get out of the car??

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey don't think I'm dogging Union Station out. I've been there before during the day time and everything seem fine, except parking. Anyhow, I actually walked in since I had time to kill. I did go downstairs to the Red Station and enjoyed the paintings.

I really would like to see Union Station expand with more services. Also I never saw anything directing you to the bus hub. As far as Union Station been privately owned and who's going to pay the tab. That is something to be discussed when expansion plans come into affect.

Does everyone have to jump on me simply because I want the best services for my city.....

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Oh stop acting like a victim! You know we begrudgingly love you.:hug:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts