SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to make references to QLD towns, because thats what I know, but it applys to all states.

Does it scare anyone about the lack of planning for new public transport infrastructure in up and coming cities?

Most of our major infrastructure is centered around our capitial cities.
The gold coast for example has 1 heavy rail line that that does not go near the population centres and is part of the brisbane network. They are planning a PT single route (sadly it looks like a bus system) throught the dense areas. What happens in 20-50 years? The area will be built out and any new PT would have to be tunnelled.

What about Toowoomba/Townsville/Cairns? All have a single heavy rail line running through them for passengered (all which head to brisbane). All public transport there is bus based. What about some future planning for light rail lines that can later be converted to heavy rail in 50 years or whatever.

I know these cities are not dense. But they will get there someday and we need to start thinking about these things now.

·
25,958 Posts
Agree with you there.

Townsville is a bit of an anomaly however as their road reserves are some of the largest I've seen in any city as the arterial routes were all runways in WWII.

It is hard for the government to comprehend to spend big on Transport in regional cities while there are major problems in SEQ.

Weak excuse however.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts