Falomo Shopping Complex

Name: Falomo Shopping Complex
City: Lagos
Use: (Mixed Use)
Size: 16,675m2
Developer Heirs Holdings

Heirs Holdings, LSDPC to Turn Falomo Shopping Complex into World Class Mall

ThisDay 31 Jul 2013

Heirs Holdings, a pan-African investment company, chaired by Mr. Tony Elumelu, Tuesday signed an agreement with the Lagos State Development Property Corporation (LSDPC), for the redevelopment of the iconic Falomo Shopping Mall located in Ikoyi, Lagos State.

The mall will be redeveloped into a shopping mall, an office complex and world class residential apartments that will serve the needs of the burgeoning populace in Lagos State and beyond.

Speaking at the site tour, the Managing Director of LSDPC, Mr. Biodun Oki, said: “The Falomo Shopping Mall’s redevelopment is long overdue. Our partnership with Heirs Holdings is in line with the state government’s urban redevelopment project and it bodes well for the state, the country and for the citizens.

“Once this project is completed, we can all look forward to a new and improved landscape that will stimulate business activity in this area and beyond.

“Involving the private sector in our redevelopment agenda is the model for all future projects.”

Speaking on the plan to remodel the shopping complex, the chairman of Heirs Holdings said: “Redeveloping one of the country’s most iconic malls is part of our commitment to drive development and move Nigeria forward through our business activities.

“In addition to financial services, oil and gas, and power, real estate and hospitality is another of our core sectors because it plays a critical role in a nation’s development. In particular, real estate development contributes not just visually but economically to the country's progress.

“We have other development projects in the offing. This include the Transcorp Hotels in Ikoyi, Lagos and Port Harcourt, which will commence this quarter now that we have secured the land.

“We are also expanding our existing property in Abuja
and this is just the beginning of the mega plans we have to transform the Nigerian skyline.”

The Falomo Shopping Mall redevelopment project is a private-public sector agreement between Heirs Real Estate Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heirs Holdings, and the Lagos State Development Property Corporation (LSDPC).

Heirs Holdings is a pan-African proprietary investment company that deploys capital in projects that will yield value on the long term.
Source

More Information

To be located in an affluent neighbourhood of Lagos, this 16,675m2 mixed-use development consists of a shopping mall with anchor stores, office spaces, an entertainment centre, a medical clinic, and luxury apartments. The development will be fully serviced and has both surface and underground parking facilities.
Source

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Site

Courtesy of Samsung Smart Camera (Facebook)

Courtesy of Heirs Holdings

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
I don't know how I feel....it's a nice project but they missed out once again on the street side shops. It even comes with a gated fence :smh: idk, but Lagos won't become a tourist attraction with all these barriers. From the curve appeal perspective there is not interesting nor inviting about Lagos/nigeria. could you imagine a tourist walking down the sidewalk and all they see are fenced businesses for miles.

Reactions: Tbite

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't know how I feel....it's a nice project but they missed out once again on the street side shops. It even comes with a gated fence :smh: idk, but Lagos won't become a tourist attraction with all these barriers. From the curve appeal perspective there is not interesting nor inviting about Lagos/nigeria. could you imagine a tourist walking down the sidewalk and all they see are fenced businesses for miles.
But the whole high street shopping scene around the world is getting redundant. Most of the decent stores are now in malls, and Lagos seems set to build scores of malls in the next decade.. Streets will be the scene for restaurants, clubs, bars, entertainment, gyms, hotels, etc, and these will expectedly be gated...not just for security reasons, but to portray an image of 'exclusivity' and 'class' - highly valued in Nigeria.

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
This is the first time that I heard of a fence representing exclusivity and class in the world. I never saw a fenced mall for that matter. The thing is this is located in a very safe part of Lagos and one of the safest in nigeria. IMO there is no need for any fence.

Idk if it's just me but every city that I visited has required commercial overlay. And people prefer street side shops in cities over malls, Malls are something you will fine in the suburbs/outskirts not in the city core.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Malls can be in the Centre, but when they are...they should be "Pedestrian Malls" with open circulation, Underground parking etc

·
Registered
723 Posts
This is the first time that I heard of a fence representing exclusivity and class in the world. I never saw a fenced mall for that matter. The thing is this is located in a very safe part of Lagos and one of the safest in nigeria. IMO there is no need for any fence.

Idk if it's just me but every city that I visited has required commercial overlay. And people prefer street side shops in cities over malls, Malls are something you will fine in the suburbs/outskirts not in the city core.

Don't you worry GAR3TH, I think Eko Atlantic City project, when completed, will take care of "Street side shops" and then some.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thank you Tbite for your postings! I vote for you to be president of Nigeria, 2015. Lol!

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
July 2013 Demolition

I guess they are not retaining any aspect of the existing centre.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh! No! Falomo is gone! Very Sad!!! Considering how man times I shopped there as a kid, I am not sure I am happy with its demolition. But I do recognize that it is prime real estate in Ikoyi.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,485 Posts
how can a city of nearly 20 million people have narrow roadways.....even the smallest of cities in the states have 3 lanes...lagos should have 3-4 lanes

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
It wasn't built for 20 million. You should see the roads in London and other parts of Europe

A solution is to make more one way streets and improve public transport

·
15,226 Posts
It wasn't built for 20 million. You should see the roads in London and other parts of Europe

A solution is to make more one way streets and improve public transport
Are you dignifying him with a reply?
All he ever does here is complain. .....

·
Hanging the boots up
9,485 Posts
Naijaborn said:
Na kolo dey worry u ....

·
Registered
183 Posts
So why shouldn't he complain if theres something he feels isnt right. I myself also complain here a lot about the state of roads and infrastructure planning in Lagos. Critcs do play a vital role in the soceity so the earlier we start tolerating each other the better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
how can a city of nearly 20 million people have narrow roadways.....even the smallest of cities in the states have 3 lanes...lagos should have 3-4 lanes
Guess you never been to philadelphia before?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts