SkyscraperCity banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
11,441 Posts
If you want to see your languages "survive", use it. Why do you expect the Chinese to come and preserve it for you?

Meanwhile, I will ignore the rest of your usual crude xenophobic drivel. Suffice it to note the irony that you are similarly "foreign" in someone else's nation (as are literally MILLIONS of Nigerians), and perhaps will similarly "die" as one - perhaps even before me. SMH
I’m not sure where you for the impression anyone is asking the Chinese to preserve the language. And unlike you I don’t lie to myself about living in a foreign land. Whether I die abroad or at home is besides the point. Stop trying to use your residency in nigeria as a tool to silence the voices of those that express a desire for positive changes in Nigeria

·
Registered
27 Posts
Me personally I don't see what the issue is, no one would bat an eye if it was a name for an American company in English - why don't they name in Yoruba? Or even if its a French company with a French name, why is Chinese any different, because they don't use the alphabet?

It's their money/property they can put whatever they want on it, it's the same way when you go China things like KFC or McDonald's still have their name in English as well as in Chinese.

·
11,441 Posts
Me personally I don't see what the issue is, no one would bat an eye if it was a name for an American company in English - why don't they name in Yoruba? Or even if its a French company with a French name, why is Chinese any different, because they don't use the alphabet?

It's their money/property they can put whatever they want on it, it's the same way when you go China things like KFC or McDonald's still have their name in English as well as in Chinese.
You’re right. The discussion is fine to have. The nonsense about Xenophobia has no place in it. Ultimately the Chinese names will fade when the transfer is complete. There was a similar discussion about Arabic writing on the naira at one point. Nothing xenophobic but people felt it favored one side of the country over the other. The discussions come up every so often and don’t reflect a deep dislike of foreigners

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
First, it's not on "every building" but seemingly just on a groundbreaking plaque. Nonetheless, if you do not like it, feel free to build yours and put your language on it.
Perhaps, posted boldly: “OBAFEMI AWOLOWO”. lol Funny people Nigerians.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Yes, Yes.... yet, we’re to somehow believe that this same crude and frankly backward thinking individuals can succeed in building a progressive nation. The status of Nigeria today is a reflection of this crude mentality that besets most of its citizens-including those who display hypocrisy in unmatched levels. We must engage this dangerous group and see to it that freedom, decency, uprightness, discipline, rules and laws and ultimately citizenry don’t have any face, colour, ethnicity, religion and/or creed. We must be prepared to fight for progressive ideals. The opposition is alive, well and at this very time, quite dangerous.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I’m not sure where you for the impression anyone is asking the Chinese to preserve the language. And unlike you I don’t lie to myself about living in a foreign land. Whether I die abroad or at home is besides the point. Stop trying to use your residency in nigeria as a tool to silence the voices of those that express a desire for positive changes in Nigeria
Right! Nothing at all xenophobic about telling someone "you're foreign and will die as one" or someone bitching about "Chinese language on every building". Do you actually know what xenophobia is? SMH

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Yes, Yes.... yet, we’re to somehow believe that this same crude and frankly backward thinking individuals can succeed in building a progressive nation. The status of Nigeria today is a reflection of this crude mentality that besets most of its citizens-including those who display hypocrisy in unmatched levels. We must engage this dangerous group and see to it that freedom, decency, uprightness, discipline, rules and laws and ultimately citizenry don’t have any face, colour, ethnicity, religion and/or creed. We must be prepared to fight for progressive ideals. The opposition is alive, well and at this very time, quite dangerous.
Bravo! Always good to see some enlightenment still exists.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where will start the Lekki international airport.

321 - 335 of 335 Posts