SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nigeria needs to open its doors and lax it visa rules by alot so it will make it easier for tourists visiting the country, it would be foolish to do otherwise. All this talk about us doing what US and these developed countries do is just sentimental crap that isn't going to take us anywhere, how can anyone even compare a country like Nigeria to the US? The US can afford to be strict because everybody wants to go there with a place like Nigeria that wants to begin a thriving tourist industry we need to open our borders and when we get to the point that we need to regulate we shall accordingly anything else is uncivilsed. This whole tit for tat stuff should be thrown out the window.
...Really ?...Hnmm I see

·
Banned
873 Posts
Nigeria needs to open its doors and lax it visa rules by alot so it will make it easier for tourists visiting the country, it would be foolish to do otherwise. All this talk about us doing what US and these developed countries do is just sentimental crap that isn't going to take us anywhere, how can anyone even compare a country like Nigeria to the US? The US can afford to be strict because everybody wants to go there with a place like Nigeria that wants to begin a thriving tourist industry we need to open our borders and when we get to the point that we need to regulate we shall accordingly anything else is uncivilsed. This whole tit for tat stuff should be thrown out the window.
Absolutely the point I was making.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The Visa issue is not actually the problem. The problem is putting in place a working system to save the nation from any downgrading incidences which may arise. I think the government is trying to protect the nation from infuriating visitors.

·
PAN AFRICAN
3,127 Posts
Now this is it, I am married to a British woman and she did not go thru hell hole to get her first visa to Nigeria - about 7 days it took her to get her visa, no interview! No appearance! Postal application! All I had to do was attach my bank details, my most recent payslip and a copy of my Nigerian passport to the application, she did same as well. She has been to Nigeria 5 times since then

My Brother is married to an American as well and she did not go thru hell trying to get a visa to Nigeria either. She has been to Nigeria 4 times since then.
So don't say Nigeria should lax her visa rules for Americans that don't have cash in their bank accounts. Having an American passport does not guarantee
you entry into other countries.....are Americans two headed? where is the equality?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Now this is it, I am married to a British woman and she did not go thru hell hole to get her first visa to Nigeria - about 7 days it took her to get her visa, no interview! No appearance! Postal application! All I had to do was attach my bank details, my most recent payslip and a copy of my Nigerian passport to the application, she did same as well. She has been to Nigeria 5 times since then

My Brother is married to an American as well and she did not go thru hell trying to get a visa to Nigeria either. She has been to Nigeria 4 times since then.
So don't say Nigeria should lax her visa rules for Americans that don't have cash in their bank accounts. Having an American passport does not guarantee
you entry into other countries.....are Americans two headed? where is the equality?
Nobody is saying Nigeria should guarantee visas just make it easier thats all.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You are restricting visitors to your country, man!
...Why are you talking like this brother ?

...you people have totally lost all self respect, dignity and pride, Must we make them visa-free to our country just bcus they should come for tourist ?

...Who is restricting borders btw us and them ?...We dont make scan or let them even make any interview. All Nigeria embassies ask is show how much you have and your current status..simple and you get the visa. I'm sure you guys know the amount papers/proves you submitted for your visa to get to the country you are today.

...So why are you guys just talking like this ?...its annoying.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You are restricting visitors to your country, man!
While I wanted to stay out of this discussion, suffice it to note that the first law of diplomacy is reciprocity. I have yet to see a single country whose immigration rules are not based on reciprocal standards with other countries -- whatever the levels of wealth or attraction of either country.

·
PAN AFRICAN
3,127 Posts
...Why are you talking like this brother ?

We dont make scan or let them even make any interview. All Nigeria embassies ask is show how much you have and your current status..simple and you get the visa. I'm sure you guys know the amount papers/proves you submitted for your visa to get to the country you are today.
They scan and finger print you like a criminal or a suspect. Its easy for them, very easy, if only they can show that they have monies in their bank accounts to take care of themselves when they get to Nigeria but unfortunately they all leave on credit facilities and do not save. Thats the truth!

·
Registered
690 Posts
They scan and finger print you like a criminal or a suspect. Its easy for them, very easy, if only they can show that they have monies in their bank accounts to take care of themselves when they get to Nigeria but unfortunately they all leave on credit facilities and do not save. Thats the truth!
They are not save now means they should come visa-free ?

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,874 Posts

The Lagos State government’s development of a brand new city off Victoria Island is proceeding with some controversy. Eko Atlantic City, which is to be entirely reclaimed out of the waters of the Bar Beach on the Atlantic coastline, is being hailed by state government officials and its promoters, South Energyx Nigeria Ltd ( a South African firm), as unique. The city’s development comes at a price tag of $3 billion and to be fully built within 5-7 years, according to government officials. While the state government officials boast about the development of a brand new city, bigger than Victoria Island and boasting the kinds of amenities now adorning similar Middle East artificial cities, environmentalists say that the state government is dodging demands to present the environmental impact assessment of the project for public scrutiny. From another angle, the National Inland Waterways Authority, (NIWA), with whom the state has a lot of axe to grind, has threatened to stop the project anytime from now if the right thing was not done.

What is the right thing, you may ask? Well, NIWA says Lagos state is not carrying it along in the implementation of the grandiose project affecting the mining of sand for the reclamation aspect of the job. Whereas Lagos state government says that the federal government is in support of the project, NIWA, an agency of the federal government having legal issues to sort out with the state government, says through its Managing Director, Yakubu Zubairu, that the organization was yet to be consulted by the state government. The controversy continues.

But otherwise, Eko Atlantic City is the new rave amongst property dealers in Lagos and, indeed Nigeria, as it is reported in the media that 60% of the planned property slots have been bought by interested companies and individuals. As at now, nothing could be seen at the spot though two Chinese operated hopper dredgers had deployed to site many months ago and had been rainbowing sand in the general area. Eight hundred and twenty hectares (6,500m X 1,260m) is projected to be reclaimed and prepared for human habitation and amenities. It is understood that some Nigerian banks are involved in the finance arrangement of this joint venture.

Under the terms of the joint venture, the developers will provide funding and infrastructure for the building of hotels, housing accommodations, a tourism centre, schools, hospitals, shopping malls and related city amenities like a power plant and a 30m wide waterway to facilitate ferry transport at the marina. The state government will earn revenues from the sale of the development upon completion to the tune of not more than 20% pending the completion of recouping of spent development funds by the investors. A 3-year moratorium is also to be allowed the financiers by the state government.

Most of the reported buyers of slots in the new city so far are said to be dominated by foreigners, foreign companies and the expatriate business community, who, ab initio, would be more likely to afford the high price tags. The figures are yet to be made common knowledge as it is believed that the developers are keeping a lot of things close to their chest.

The gigantic project is proceeding under a heavy burden of the poorest road network for the Victoria Island, Ikoyi and Lekki axes of the state, where many residential and corporate establishments and businesses have set up base in the past few years. Go-slows on the Lekki expressway currently stands at around 3 hours in bumper to bumper traffic at most times of the day and early evenings. Only one road serves the entire length of the populous Lekki axis till now, although an effort to widen it to eight lanes which commenced some years ago is still ongoing at a very slow pace. The state government says another road called a Coastal Road will be built as a continuation of the present Ahmadu Bello Way overlooking the Bar Beach marina but as at now nothing by way of any construction has started on such a projection. Moreover, a deep sea port and a petrochemical complex is being developed 60 kilometres away at the Lekki Free Trade Zone in Ibeju Lekki. All these traffic and movements must rely on the only available Lagos-Epe expressway which is already beyond maximum capacity.

The sheer number of residential estates along this expressway is beyond reckon in terms of surging population of occupants in the next one or two years. Many continue to be built while most have been occupied. The frightening spectre of bush clearing and rising block and concrete structures along this road by both individuals and companies, is a signpost of a certain exodus. As some are now saying, Lekki is the new Lagos. To supply the building boom, sand-laden trucks now outnumber or equal the combined total of all other vehicles plying the Lekki peninsula on any day of the week. It is yet to be seen how the state will cope with such a critical shortfall in essential road space for its bustling development strides. Although the present state government is the most proactive in terms of confronting the transportation problems of the Lagos mega city, nothing short of a high-budget Marshall Plan for rapid road construction and city planning can rescue it from the jaws of a socio-industrial overload, transportation-wise.

.ddhmag.com

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
just as long as nigerians maintain the city clean and very well...

·
Registered
219 Posts
^^ I think it's the same company that handled the first phase of the bar beach reclamation project, can't remember the name tho :dunno:

241 - 260 of 631 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.