SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Now there is a bridge and someone is asking for ''a dubai-like bridge''. Human wants as always, are unlimited. Will you guys stop dreaming and face reality?
Spot on. Few people realize that Dubai is no longer a benchmark in development and "desires" - since that emirate is now indebted to the tune of $85 billion dollars. Dubai's solution? Floating a $20 billion bond and acctumulating more debt to solve its serious financial problems!

Lagos State Government must provide infrastructure and the priority is buildable and realistic projects which can see the light of the day and actually serve their purpose! The right approach would be elegant economical projects with an attractive design twists. Let's steer clear of wild-looking projects please they make me nervous, at least in the Nigerian context.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Spot on. Few people realize that Dubai is no longer a benchmark in development and "desires" - since that emirate is now indebted to the tune of $85 billion dollars. Dubai's solution? Floating a $20 billion bond and acctumulating more debt to solve its serious financial problems!

Lagos State Government must provide infrastructure and the priority is buildable and realistic projects which can see the light of the day and actually serve their purpose! The right approach would be elegant economical projects with an attractive design twists. Let's steer clear of wild-looking projects please they make me nervous, at least in the Nigerian context.
I agree with your comment. Nigeria govt. has alot of population to take of.And, the best way to start is through functioning and sustainable devt.projetcs.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
at they same time it would be nice to take on these infrastructure and sustainable developments in style. that could help bring in tourism. it worked for Dubai :)

·
Prince_7
521 Posts
Of course you guys are right in that we dont need to be unrealistic and again i dont expect anything that expensive or fancy. but to expect more design and style is nothing more than optimistic. I hate that a bridge planned to be built in 2012 will resemble a bridge that was designed in 1926 and built in 1937. (Golden Gate Bridge) Nigerians should defiantly strive to do better. and

qymekkam I agree with you totaly I would like to see more style in the in the bridge as well as the project at large. Many of those buildings are so plain--something you would see in a city that was not planned. Also many complaints im hearing on other sites about this project is that so far (according to the renders), it lacks a "Signature Sky Scraper" or "Crown Jewel". Its missing a main outstanding skyscraper that shouts Spectacular. --But at the end of the day im still proud of this project and wish it success.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
at they same time it would be nice to take on these infrastructure and sustainable developments in style. that could help bring in tourism. it worked for Dubai :)
The landscape,culture and traditions, the natural activities are enough to attract tourists to Nigeria if they are well developed. Not through expensive use of fund for a bridge like Dubai. I think that red bridge is a big dev. project.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
the bridge doesnt have to be some world record breaking overfunded bridge like Dubai. they just need to put more crativity in to it. build something you can be proud of and not something that a 1930's bridge makes your modern bridge look like the thrown away designs of the golden gate bridge.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
You are also right on the other hand ,Gy... That's ok for an African standard. When the funding is available the case will be different. At this time the red bridge is just too Ok. Can you really point out any bridge in Africa, at the moment, that is more aesthetic than this?

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
i wouldnt be surprised if the designer of Eko Atlantic City was from or got his inspiration from San Francisco

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
You are also right on the other hand ,Gy... That's ok for an African standard. When the funding is available the case will be different. At this time the red bridge is just too Ok. Can you really point out any bridge in Africa, at the moment, that is more aesthetic than this?
nope i cannot in fact i wouldnt be surprised if nigeria has the best looking bridges in africa

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I read that the Nigerian construction companies usually find it very difficult to construct complicated designs like those you would see in places like the U.S, Dubai,Hon Kong, China, etc.

·
Prince_7
521 Posts
That is true, and if they are not capable of pulling it off then get an international construction companies to design and construct the bridge.
Also freindsofthecity--in your last few posts you keps saying "in Africa" "in Africa". According to Fashola this project is supposed to be a mega city "surpassing international standards in beauty, infrastructure and everything else". So lets not be satisfied being a "one eyed man in the land of the blind". When we keep comparing ourselvs to other african nations thats what were doing. Nigeria is concidered one of the "Next Eleven" Economic Super-powers! We should compare ourselvs to Developed Nations so that one day we will be one of them. In my mind Lagos has the potentel to be as develped and beautiful as "Hong Kong, bejing, tokyo, New York, LA, London, and Dubai! On the Last Page "Tgbtg's" signature was"Excelence is never an accident, it is always the result of high intention, sencere effort, intelegent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obsticals as opertunities." Now thats deep, and if Nigerians will adopt this attitude then we will all see the projects that we once concidered "far-fetched" come to life!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I read that the Nigerian construction companies usually find it very difficult to construct complicated designs like those you would see in places like the U.S, Dubai,Hon Kong, China, etc.
You mean like the Third Mainland Bridge? :eek:hno:

Virtually all of the major infrastructural projects in Nigeria are handled by international construction companies and consultants (the latter working with domestic counterparts), so that's most certainly not a consideration here.

Secondly, I doubt that there actually exists a design of the Eko Atlantic City bridge. All I see in those renders are GENERIC models of buildings and infrastructure (including said bridge) and therefore fail to get why some folks are getting so worked up about it. In fact,apart from discussing the rotunda concept for the financial district, no detailed designs of actual buildings in the City has actually been proffered. This is not unlike the generic models of buildings in downtown Abuja when the Abuja masterplan was first made public, and which bear virtually NO resemblance to the actual buildings in place today. Ultimately, the design of the bridge will depend on relevant financial and engineering factors at the time that tenders are sought -- and frankly the bridge might just end up looking worse or better than this generic model.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
TOn the Last Page "Tgbtg's" signature was"Excelence is never an accident, it is always the result of high intention, sencere effort, intelegent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obsticals as opertunities." Now thats deep, and if Nigerians will adopt this attitude then we will all see the projects that we once concidered "far-fetched" come to life!
Kinda hard to take lessons in excellence from a dude that cannot even spell... just kidding... :lol::lol::lol:

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
do you know where i can look at the original designs of Abuja. i want to see how off course they went.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
You mean like the Third Mainland Bridge? :eek:hno:

Virtually all of the major infrastructural projects in Nigeria are handled by international construction companies and consultants (the latter working with domestic counterparts), so that's most certainly not a consideration here.

Secondly, I doubt that there actually exists a design of the Eko Atlantic City bridge. All I see in those renders are GENERIC models of buildings and infrastructure (including said bridge) and therefore fail to get why some folks are getting so worked up about it. In fact,apart from discussing the rotunda concept for the financial district, no detailed designs of actual buildings in the City has actually been proffered. This is not unlike the generic models of buildings in downtown Abuja when the Abuja masterplan was first made public, and which bear virtually NO resemblance to the actual buildings in place today. Ultimately, the design of the bridge will depend on relevant financial and engineering factors at the time that tenders are sought -- and frankly the bridge might just end up looking worse or better than this generic model.
I don't think third mainland bridge(on google - the Africa longest bridge)is such a complicate design. I mean designs like the Dubai bridge, design like the Chinese Tv building, the chicagospire and just to mention a few. Yes, I agree with you that there is sign of no actual practical buildings have been designed yet for the project.

341 - 360 of 631 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.