SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
dont forget that the pressure willl invariably increase with every decrease in volume, as reclammation itself is... we must learn to attack our problems directly, and stop looking for short term fire brigade approaches.
Please, share your plans for a "better Lagos" with us? You are an architect? You must have visions, too! So what do you propose? Please be more concrete! We are all fully aware that "Georges Eugène Haussmann´s aristocratic visions" won´t be applicable to Lagos.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I DO, I WILL TOO

Please, share your plans for a "better Lagos" with us? You are an architect? You must have visions, too! So what do you propose? Please be more concrete! We are all fully aware that "Georges Eugène Haussmann´s aristocratic visions" won´t be applicable to Lagos.
i propose that the solution to the Lagos problem exists on the Lagoon. but as i said earlier, I WILL POST MY VISIONS very shortly
:)

·
Modulor Man
1,007 Posts
i love the lagos spirit... it is one of constant invention. this is the answer to your question: people, due to the economy of Lagos, presently, in many areas around the city live under bridges... these same people trade on the surface of these bridges in the mornings too. they never complain of robberies at these areas because there is no gathering point for the robbers.
hence, the habitable business bridge will be the urban typology that brings this new uses of the Lagos bridge to fruit in a new, well researched light.
Lagos is absolutely no place for a hausmann... te form of the city is inherent in a new kind of geometry perhaps only perculiar to Lagos. lagos does not need straight roads... it needs its true urban form to be researched and reused for its continuance. it is Lagos that needs this 9 million people, not Ogun.
some points:

1. i was talking about lagos island not mainland when i thought about haussmann.

2. understanding lagos as a mega city region you have to open your focus to ogun to find solutions.

3. lol.. ok, habitable bridges now i get it. trading is not allowed on the bridges anymore and most lagosians still try to avoid these bridges especially women. but understanding habitable bridges could help to find new types of urban typologys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
some points:
2. understanding lagos as a mega city region you have to open your focus to ogun to find solutions.

1. i never said that we shouldnt look at Ogun. what i meant was that we must consider Lagos as the paramount issue in this megacity equation first. lagos, over time WILL spill over into Ogun. this is an inevitable fact.

2. consider the Lagoon... it is the joining strip of the two disparate parts of Lagos and can be made, without reclammation to contain 3 million people.
these are thde impossibilities that will make Lagos more bearable in future, and they can only be brought to life considering the Historical Precedents (as) i earlier stated. i have discovered a lot of these typologies from the lagos scene and i am presently planning a sustainable work-city for 3 million people on the Lagoon with them. id post the sketches as soon as they are ready.:lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
LAGOS ENERGY CITY

Firm Boosts Lagos’ $1.5bn Project

The $1.5billion tourism project of the Lagos State Government got a boost at the weekend as some of its foreign partners injected a whopping $105m into it.
When completed, the project will showcase the efforts of the government to position the state as Africa’s preferred destination for tourism.
The feat was achieved by the government through the state Ministry of Tourism and Inter-governmental Relations which got the $105 million dollars from Supra Energy and Power City Ltd to build an Energy City in Badagry, Lagos West.
The deal extensively discussed during the governor’s recent visit to Singapore and publicly consummated at a brief signing ceremony held at the Department of Trade Negotiations, Ministry of Commerce, Bangkok, Thailand on November 9 had the Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-governmental Relations, Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi representing the state government along with his counterpart in the Commerce and Industry Ministry, Honourable Adeniyi Oyemade. Otthers who witnessed the ceremony were the Director General of the Ministry of Commerce for the Royal Kingdom of Thailand, Mr. Rechane Potjanasuntorn, representative of the Nigerian Embassy in Thailand, Mr. A. R Saliu and directors of all the companies involved in the project.
The project estimated to cost $1.5b when completed and being driven by Supra Energy and Power City Ltd, Dhevanand Company Ltd as well as Siam Design Consortium and supported by the Department of Export Promotion of the Thailand Ministry of Commerce have altogether raised the sum of $105 million USD to fund the first phase development of the Energy City in Lagos on a 670 hectares of land already allocated by the Lagos State Government in Badagry.
When completed, the Lagos Energy City will be a fully integrated business centre solution for the oil and gas industry. Located in the ancient Badagry Town in the Lagos West Senatorial District, the Energy City will cater to the needs of all players in Nigeria and indeed the West Coast of Africa in the industry’s value chain, providing world class facilities such as a Convention and Exhibition Centre, 2 Five Star Hotels, a Boutique Hotel, Luxury Oceani-view Villas, Schools, sports complex Mega Malls, medical facilities among others.
With the first phase of the project expected to be a Convention Centre and Tourist Zone, Lagos State seems set to reclaim its strategic place in Nigeria’s continued quest for regional leadership in the hosting of important conventions, meetings, festivals, exhibitions and other tourism related events in Africa. The Second phase which is the Energy City Zone is expected to increase streams of revenue for Lagos State just as it will re-position Nigeria as a global energy player in the league of other global energy hubs such as Houston, Qatar, Singapore and Calgary.
The choice of Badagry by the Lagos State Government for the Energy City has been necessitated by the need to provide access not only to the Niger Delta through the Lagos Atlantic ocean but the West Coast sub-regional market, a case further strengthened by the discovery of oil in Ghana.
The Lagos Energy City project has been designed as an Eco-City with the efficient use of energy, electricity, water and solid waste which will be integrated and recycled for further use. Positioned to be the first integrated energy hub in the West African sub-region, the Lagos Energy City will significantly give a major boost to the income and pace of business activities in Lagos State.
Major shareholders of the Lagos Energy City Project are the World Energetic Holdings Ltd (HK), Royal Orchid Holdings Ltd (HK), Elite Max Asia Ltd (HK), Transglobal Energy Funds Pte. Ltd (Singapore) and the Lagos State Government through the Tourism Ministry.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
ArtHabitat3; said:
some points:

1. i was talking about lagos island not mainland when i thought about haussmann.

3. lol.. ok, habitable bridges now i get it. trading is not allowed on the bridges anymore and most lagosians still try to avoid these bridges especially women. but understanding habitable bridges could help to find new types of urban typologys.
I saw last month when i was in Lagos that a couple of the big bridges into Lagos Island were fenced off and there was some refurbishing work going on. They looked a lot cleaner than i have seen on some pictures in this forum. No sign of any trash or traders under those bridges.

·
Registered
914 Posts
yep they are revamping lagos big tym...my uncle who passed through there a couple weeks ago said the pace of work in lagos is unbelievable...also my french cousins who went a while back said theres a lot of construction work allover the place

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
I saw last month when i was in Lagos that a couple of the big bridges into Lagos Island were fenced off and there was some refurbishing work going on. They looked a lot cleaner than i have seen on some pictures in this forum. No sign of any trash or traders under those bridges.
Could you give us a short wrap-up of your trip to Nigeria, please? Your general impressions? Which places did you visit, only Lagos or did you go to Abuja as well?

·
Registered
53 Posts
OPEN LETTER TO RAJI FASHOLA.

here is a copy of an open letter to the governor of Lagos that was partly published in guardians life magazines 23rd september edition:

OPEN LETTER TO THE GOVENOR OF LAGOS STATE, HIS EXCELLENCY, RAJI FASHOLA (S.A.N) ON THE
SOLUTIONS TO THE URBAN PROBLEMS OF LAGOS
PART 1
REIGNITING THE BABA ISALE SYSTEM
9th August 2007.

Dear Sir,
SOLUTIONS TO THE URBAN PROBLEM(S) OF LAGOS
At a population growth rate of 21 people per hour (Koolhaas, 2002), our city has been pushed past her elastic limit. Although, the 9 million strong populace, who are now mostly unaccounted for, seem to be joyously awaiting its growth to a mega city in seven years, it will not suffice too much to talk of the problems of Lagos. In the nutshell, Lagos, (her independent areas of operation, and her city within city concept of dispersion) has swollen to its bursting point. This is a letter of solutions and a word pad of hope. Mr. Governor Sir, the solution to Lagos is Lagos.
Lagos, as we know it exists as independent micro cities. This has been the case since the 19th century, and Cole (1975), in the book Modern and Traditional Elites in the Politics of Lagos, named it the Baba Isale System. Lagos has no center, i.e. in various parts or Lagos, world-views differ. The people of the disparate parts have their own micro culture. Ajegunle inhabitants are totally deferent from those in Oshodi; Lagos has no center. This centerlessness has two possible schemes that evolve from its use:

Plate1: LAGOS: These situations are not that bad, and hold the solutions to Lagos.
Source www.motherland nigeria.com

SCHEME 1
From Yaba to V.I, through Agege…no easy way.
To encourage it, allowing each to grow to its maximal capacity by empowering local authorities to encourage Micro Central Business districts to arise, thereby decongesting the island, and dispersing its activity around Lagos, the state government, off the taxes it collects will then build Superhighways linking these micro cities to themselves and the rest of the continent. The state also partners with various private investors to create a Continuous Housing Corridor, piercing these micro cities, and creating continual cheap rentable accommodation for both residence commerce and shopping. This will in turn become a Continuous Urban Shopping Corridor, in which can commute, on foot, to and from work, interacting with themselves.

SCHEME 2:
Lagos = Megacity of slums? Lagos > Megacity of slums = 10.5 million people
(George Packer, the NewYorker Magazine 13th November 2006)
To continue the polarity and competition between the Victoria(n) Island and the Marina, let this spill into Ajah, thereby exacerbating the security and traffic mayhem that has instituted it self in Lagos. This will swell the volume of daily traffic on third mainland bridge by 20 – 45%, thereby reducing efficiency of the Lagos Business System (with less efficiency, less work = loss taxable profits) in ten or twenty years, the situation will be unbearable. Lagos State, like many other states will become totally dependent on national subvention, therefore, growth will decline by 20-45%. This will lead to a traffic aberration that no road, no matter how wide can contain. (These areas i.e. Marina and Victoria Island cater for at least 5/9 of the (working) population of Lagos daily. They force themselves over the lagoon by two bridges from 6.am to 10 am daily, and then force them selves out at 6 pm to 10pm. at least 2 million vehicles pour over the lagoon daily)

Fig 2: Building collapse, 37 people feared dead… this is the scourge of Lagos business…! Next destination, 3rd Mainland!
Source: www. newsimg.bbc.co.uk, www.prono.it
The infrastructure of Lagos is on the verge of collapse. The collapse of the bridge at Minnesota has exemplified the need to tread with caution with regard bridges, especially those, like Third Mainland, that are prone to constant wear and tear. A bridge beam designed to be 1 meter once affected by fatigue and begins to wear, can lead to the failure of the bridge. Third Mainland Bridge has become the spine of the Lagos system. Collapse will totally destroy the economy of Lagos. therefore very importantly, we must remove the over dependence of Lagos on a single route and democratize this route hence the second scenario which is the path Lagos seems to be accelerating through is its path to destruction, the Lagos realm should not be simply about carting people from point A to B, to work, but by efficiency generated off the simplest possible means. We must change the destiny we have forced on Lagos.

[THE] SCHEME 1
This scheme has several advantages a few are enumerated below:
• It will reduce pressure on the central spine of Lagos, since many of the available hands will be employed where they live.
• It creates avenues for small scale sustainable development and such scale of business will great creative competition. When firms compete for labor, they pay more, increasing the standards of living, and taxes earned by P.A.Y.E by the government (don’t forget also, the Millennium Development Goals)
• Lagos will become cleaner. Each center will be forced to apply the most up to date principles of sustainable architecture in its development hence ensuring that Lagos becomes Greener (green in a sustainable sense)
• It will enable Lagos to become a 24-hour city where activities of all sorts occur all day, all the places are less isolated therefore more secure.
• It will breed efficiency. A city built for speed, is one built for success
• Security will be more easily managed. The roads will clear up. The work being done at the Marina can then spread. ( it will be tragic when the LAG-BUS route hits Yaba. It is, as it is, impossible for car and man alike to move in and out of Yaba)
For ease of description this scheme will be called the (Lagos) Virtual City System or [L] VCS

Fig 3: “Ahoy to Lagos, city of hold ups” Source: www. prono.it

THE [LAGOS] VIRTUAL CITY SYSTEM (LVCS)
All roads lead to Lagos, but all the roads are not congested… but Lagos is full, and we can’t assuage it, why?
The components of this LVCS already exist in Lagos. They are however brushed to the sides, to concentrate on trying to focus Lagos on the island. The solution to the problem of Lagos lies in Lagos herself, in the parts of the city that have grown out of the need for survival. If we allude to Japanese landscaping we find that the best path through an area is only obtained after people are let to find their way from Point A to B, then these areas are paved and made official. The lifestyle of the people then solves its problems. The Virtual City System will be made up of three major components
• Micro Central Business Districts
• Super Highways
• Continuous Housing Corridor

MICRO CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICTS (M.CBD)
The main aspect of politics in Lagos was always the continued struggle of family and factions, which determined the wealth through distribution of wealth obtained from trade…= Baba Isale System.
P. Cole (1975), modern and traditional elite in the politics of Lagos; Cambridge University Press

The goal of the MCBD is to change to pattern of competition in Lagos, thereby opening more opportunities for people within Lagos, and those yet to come. Lagos is the center of excellence, hence, the focus of economic competition should be on the worker. When the labor force stops aspiring daily towards Victoria(n) Island and Marina (all roads lead there now), workers achieve a certain importance in Lagos. Jobs become more available, and there is more and cheaper space for business. This is turn increases wages, because to attract people out of their comfort zone, business organizations will have to invent added incentives, which will have direct import on the living standard and most importantly, P.A.Y.E. (when workers earn more, the government make much more on P.A.Y.E)
The entirely city, will as such, be focused where its decisions are made and it taxes are collected. This as we all know, is Alausa, therefore, it becomes irrevocably easier to control the entire city and administer new policies, hence reducing crime, and bringing large scale development all around; changing the face of Lagos forever. Taking areas-boys off the streets means that jobs have to be created for them. .it is almost impossible now for fresh graduates to get jobs in Lagos, what chance do agberos have?

THE SUPER HIGH WAY SYSTEM
No easy way from Yaba to V.I…
Short bands of 8-12 lane roads joining the micro cities, example: Apapa-Oshodi super high way, Mushin-Ikeja super high way etc. This should take prominence over the Forth Mainland Bridge system, in a bid to create efficiency, and reduce transport chaos. With this super highway system, traffic pressure is diverted from Ikorodu road (the major spine: Ikorodu road through Yaba to 3rd Mainland to Obalende to Ikoyi to Five Cowry Creek to Victoria(n) Island), hence dispersing trade and reducing crime. On these routes, things as they are expected to be in constant flux, since the traffic between micro cities will be too light to cause hold ups and the distant too short for mayhem on the roads. The question is the how is the government to get initial capital and reap profit from this roads? Undo the plans for the Fourth Mainland; the first question tends towards an answer.

CONTINOUS HOUSING CORRIDOR
Lagos= Eko= constant invention, somehow…
This is a mix shopping, leisure, commerce, and residence, straddling the in-roads and Super High Ways, and piercing all existing Urban Corridors, linking Lagos with singular pedestrians oriented promenades. These housing corridors are exactly how to increase the destiny of Lagos, within the present context, without disturbing urban land and contiguous built area. This system will be in continual construction by Private Public Partnership (P.P.P) with respect to the increase in population at every instant.
This will encourage the organized version of trading that powers Obalende (impromptu shopping) clearing existing roads and pedestrian bridges of petty trading. Impromptu commerce powered by the impromptu, continuous architecture…. Again Sir, the solution to Lagos in Lagos
These individual centers will be encouraged to generate energy efficiencient mass transit system within them selves, which will eventually link up to become the Lagos Urban Transit System.
The Lagos high system, though noise, has it all wrong, it is neither energy efficient or past enough, it has reduced our roads, and intensified the traffic problem. Strife upon strife, Sir equals strife... The people of Lagos are left complaining
At the rate it is going, the Lagos-scape, in a few years, will be clad with all sorts of experiment(al) inventions for the alleviation of the traffic of the people. Lagos being a system in chaos, will constantly defeat the ingenuity of attempts to gives it unfamiliar order, this has been the case since 1845 (e.g. the revolt of Kosoko in 1853). Lagos as it is will also be bombarded with all sorts of people, who will not be properly dispersed; adding pressure to already overburdened urban land, facilities and infrastructure.
As it exists, Lagos is a work-city. To guard it off the path of extinction, we intend to build around over within and under the exiting urban facilities of Lagos. The solution to Lagos is Lagos, and the time to act Sir, is now.

Respectfully
George, James Inedu (II)

Architect.
Lagos, 2007

·
Modulor Man
1,007 Posts
^^:applause::applause::applause:^^

far the best contribution on SSC Africa so far.. expect a detailed response from me in the next few days. got a alot work to do just now :)

·
PAN AFRICAN
3,127 Posts
Oceanic Bank commits N127bn to Lagos mega city project

Hi Guys, this maybe old but i believe it is a boost to the lagos mega city Project

Oceanic Bank commits N127bn to Lagos mega city project

Oceanic Bank International plc has pledged to commit over N127 billion ($1billion) to the development of the proposed new Lagos mega city project.
Chief Executive of the bank, Cecilia Ibru, made the pledge on Monday while addressing the gathering of economic and political leaders from Nigeria and the United States of America.

She assured that the bank would effectively partner the state government towards rebuilding Lagos State through the Public Private Sector initiatives, describing the state as the economic bedrock of the nation.

The bank chief enjoined all stakeholders to work effectively together towards making the new Lagos Mega City project a reality.

Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, SAN, who described Oceanic Bank gesture as a wonderful partnership from a socially responsible financial institution, invited investors from all over the world to participate in the new Lagos Mega City Project, describing the venture a worthwhile one. He assured that the government would make the environment conducive for investors and residents of the city, as it would invest heavily to ensure the state is secure.

Besides its recent donation of 30 hilux buses, valued at over N150 million to the Lagos State Government, to combat the high rate of crime in the state, Oceanic Bank has recently entered into Public Private sector partnership (PPP) agreement with five state governments.

The states are Delta, Rivers, Enugu, Kano and Kaduna States. The PPP agreements between the bank and the respective state governments centered on the following areas: infrastructural development, housing, agriculture, energy, information and communication technology, micro-finance, enhancement of the internally generated revenue among many others.

The donation of the vehicles to the Lagos state government and the donation of relief materials worth millions of Naira to victims of the recent floods in Adamawa and Borno States are the latest by Oceanic Bank in partnering with governments at all levels in the country in sponsoring socially beneficial causes, projects and initiatives. Only recently, apart from taking over the running of a secondary school in Kano State, the bank also commenced the rebuilding of the largest market in the state.

The bank, it would be recalled, has also recently donated a lecture hall to the University of Nassarawa for the purpose of enhancing the educational standard in the state.

The bank chief, who visited the states, recently assured of the readiness of the bank to add value and enhance the standard of living of the people of the states through the PPP.

Ibru recently said:" We are interested in working with various state governments in various areas, from housing, ICT, energy and others under the PPP and BOT arrangement. We believe this is our own way of contributing to the development of the states and the nation in general"

She also said the bank would be willing to partner state governments in the area of mortgage financing, micro-financing, small scale industries and the educational sector, adding that the bank could also assist States in their bid to effectively enhance the internally generated revenue (IGR), energy generation and distribution and marine projects.

Currently the fifth largest bank in Nigeria with over 260 business offices across the nation, the bank is pursuing an aggressive regional expansion strategy, with a view to establishing a dominant presence in Ghana, Chad, Sao-Tome, and other West African countries. The bank is also in the process of extending its International Banking Operations to other countries like the United Kingdom, United States of America, China and United Arab Emirate.

With a strategic focus of becoming the leading bank in Nigeria and rank among the top five in Africa in terms of balance sheet, capitalization and profitability by 2010, the bank is determined to continuously boost service delivery through a robust IT platform thereby creating effective distributive channels to maximize the funds flows from transactions

http://businessdayonline.com/National/203.html

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Matthias Offodile; said:
Could you give us a short wrap-up of your trip to Nigeria, please? Your general impressions? Which places did you visit, only Lagos or did you go to Abuja as well?
I visited Lagos for 2 days and spent 4 days in Abuja. While in Lagos i stayed at the Sheraton in Ikeja. I was able to visit Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Lagos Island and Badagry. Of all the places i went in Lagos, i liked VI and Ikoyi most. Also went to the Palms shopping mall. There is a club next to news cafe we went to which was really pumping. Also went to the news cafe there. That news cafe is very expensive. I was buying a Heineken beer for like 800 naira (i.e. over $6). But the girls are really nice and its very lively. The night life was really nice and more lively than Abuja. I missed the traffic jams because i arrived on a Sunday and the Monday was a public holiday and i was staying close to the airport. Like i said, earlier, there was construction everywhere i looked on the roads and new buildings especially in VI and Ikoyi as well as the highways around Lagos Island.

I was very impressed with Abuja which is well planned, orderly and clean. There was a lot of cranes all over Abuja signaling a construction boom. My general observation is that Abuja is miles ahead of Lagos and has much better infrastructure than most African cities i have been to. The only thing i would add to Abuja is road markings and traffic lights in most intersections. I hardly saw a pothole on Abuja roads. The airport looks nice but i think its probably going to have to be expanded judging by the number of air passengers that it is handling. I really liked the Hilton Hotel in Abuja, that was probably my most favourate place of all. Really nice girls there gentlemen and there are some clubs that offer top-notch entertainment inside the hotel and nearby. Also went to Maitama, a very nice and peaceful surburb on the hills with lots of trees. Overall, Abuja for me came tops and the people in Abuja seem to wonder how people in Lagos survive. LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
I visited Lagos for 2 days and spent 4 days in Abuja. While in Lagos i stayed at the Sheraton in Ikeja. I was able to visit Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Lagos Island and Badagry. Of all the places i went in Lagos, i liked VI and Ikoyi most. Also went to the Palms shopping mall. There is a club next to news cafe we went to which was really pumping. Also went to the news cafe there. That news cafe is very expensive. I was buying a Heineken beer for like 800 naira (i.e. over $6). But the girls are really nice and its very lively. The night life was really nice and more lively than Abuja. I missed the traffic jams because i arrived on a Sunday and the Monday was a public holiday and i was staying close to the airport. Like i said, earlier, there was construction everywhere i looked on the roads and new buildings especially in VI and Ikoyi as well as the highways around Lagos Island.

I was very impressed with Abuja which is well planned, orderly and clean. There was a lot of cranes all over Abuja signaling a construction boom. My general observation is that Abuja is miles ahead of Lagos and has much better infrastructure than most African cities i have been to. The only thing i would add to Abuja is road markings and traffic lights in most intersections. I hardly saw a pothole on Abuja roads. The airport looks nice but i think its probably going to have to be expanded judging by the number of air passengers that it is handling. I really liked the Hilton Hotel in Abuja, that was probably my most favourate place of all. Really nice girls there gentlemen and there are some clubs that offer top-notch entertainment inside the hotel and nearby. Also went to Maitama, a very nice and peaceful surburb on the hills with lots of trees. Overall, Abuja for me came tops and the people in Abuja seem to wonder how people in Lagos survive. LOL
EVEN THE INHABITANTS OF LAGOS LIVE DAILY IN AWE...:cheers:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Fellow architect, thank you for your effort at grasping the madness that is Lagos and for proposing some intriguing solutions. By any chance, is there a possibility of seeing some illustrations, diagrams, and plans to back-up your ideas?

As I'm sure you would agree, visual aids could be very helpful in backing up your ideas....

41 - 60 of 631 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.