SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Expert
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)

BRT means Bus Rapid Transit.

BRT is a transport option, which relies on the use of dedicated ‘interference’ free segregated lanes to guarantee fast and reliable bus travel. The BRT buses run on physically segregated lanes and thus make them run faster in a situation where there is traffic congestion.
It is one of the several options available for tackling the huge public transport predicaments of Lagos.

BRT: Dedicated “interference’ free segregated lanes

Other options include the light rail, heavy rail, subway metro and traditional bus systems. The light and heavy rails as well as the subway metro systems are appropriate, but very expensive to construct and operate. The traditional bus service is highly patronized because it is flexible and inexpensive. But it has the problems of negative public image, air and noise pollution, slow speed and ramshackle state of the buses.

The Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) takes care of most of the problems of the other systems:

* It will reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality and meet the mobility needs, particularly of the less privileged and poor masses of the Lagos metropolis.

* It is a roadway-based system that looks and behaves like a subway, offering high capacity rapid transit services but on dedicated lanes or city streets.

First phase of the Lagos BRT to run from Mile 12 through Ikorodu Road and Funsho Williams Avenue up to CMS is scheduled to start operation by November 2007.

It is projected that the system will carry up to 10,000 passengers per direction per hour during peak travel hours.

The LAMATA BRT corridor is about 22 kilometres in length.

Two operators, NURTW Cooperative and LAGBUS, a Lagos State Government owned Asset Management Company are contributing about 180 high capacity buses for the implementation of the first phase Mile 12 to CMS BRT Lite system.

LAMATA BRT Buses at the Ojota depot

In all, LAMATA has provided 26 bus shelters, along the entire stretch of the corridor and have resurfaced the service lanes where all yellow buses and other articulated and heavy-duty buses would be restricted.

LAMATA bus shelter at Ilupeju

LAMATA has in place a new set of regulations to guide the operations of the BRT.
The BRT would run 16 – hour operations running from 6.00 a.m to 10 p.m.
Fifteen monitoring officers would be in charge of daily operational activities on the corridor.
A private towing provider manages towing service on the corridor.
A modern bus depot with state-of-the-art facilities that can accommodate about 100 buses is situated at the Ojota axis of the corridor. There are three bus terminals along the corridor at Mile 12, Moshalashi and CMS. The CMS terminal is designed to integrate with other transport modes of rail and ferry which the Lagos State Government is soon to implement.

The LAMATA bus depot at Ojota showing:
3 No 33,000litre underground Gas tank, 2 Nos. fuel dispensers, 2 nos. generating sets, Overhead water tanks with boreholes, State-of-the-art mechanic workshop

One of the components of the LAMATA BRT scheme is security and a strong factor in ensuring this, is the lighting up of the entire corridor on both sides to ensure safety of lives and property.
To ensure the reliability of the lights, LAMATA has provided 10 nos. 100KVA generators and transformers as alternative power supply to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).
In other to maximise cost of running the power system, LAMATA is considering a proposal for the installation of solar-powered streetlights along the corridor in the nearest future.

:nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow, i am impressed and yet not surprised. Out of all the existing governors, i have always held the belief the Fashola will be the best performing at the end of his term. He is so focused and dedicated to developing Lagos that it puts the current governors to shame. And i am not even from lagos. This is what governors should be doing, not spending their time dipoping their hands in the treasury.

·
WhizKidd
90 Posts
The bus system is long overdue... this the whole project is great and i love that it is a private enterprise... I'm not really jumping up-and-down at the idea of the bus system though...I think that it should have been done decades agos and not only lagos... ph, abuja, kano, ibadan, and every other major city in naija should have one; it aint rocket science... its the light rail and water-ferry that i'm really excited about... lets hope that fashola has the will to see all these projects through... I think fashola is going to the the Duke of the current dispensation... i love his ambition and energy... very dukish...

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
The route outlined in black on the map should be an opportunity for Nigeria to rebuild the Third Mainland Bridge.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Yeah the Third Mainland Bridge must be reconstructed ASAP.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
the lagbus is a good start but its nothing compared to other mega cities. i dont think a bus system will get everyone around. needs to be more like san francisco or london they have very good transit systems that can take you a almost anywhere. what i did like about the future of lagos is a ferry. lagos could possibly use a ferry as mass transit. it could be the largest. and planning doesn't look difficult

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,876 Posts
I dont think that the buses or trains will reduce lagos traffic. New York has 2,027 bridges and tunnels overall in the New York City metro area. But during rush hour it still has some traffic. Just buses and trains won't remove the traffic. Lagos ''should'' (my mistake) have more bridges and roads. maybe a 4th,5th,9th mainland bridge by now. you cant remove traffic you could only reduce.
:banana::cucumber::pepper::carrot:

·
Expert
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I dont think that the buses or trains will reduce lagos traffic. New York has 2,027 bridges and tunnels overall in the New York City metro area. But during rush hour it still has some traffic. Just buses and trains won't remove the traffic. Lagos has to make more bridges and roads. maybe a 4th,5th,9th mainland bridge. Remember you cant remove traffic you could only reduce.
:banana::cucumber::pepper::carrot:
No duh! nobody ever imagined that the traffic would be 'removed.' The new public transport initiative is not the 'cure', its a medicine, which at best would reduce traffic from the roads, enabling vital work to commece in the rehabilitation, upgrade and construction of brand new roads and highways.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts