SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lagos to increase LAGBUS fleet with 10,000 new buses

:banana:LAGOS- The Lagos State Government has unfolded plans to boost the existing fleet of Bus Franchise Scheme, BFS, operator of LAGBUS Asset Management Limited with the introduction of 10,000 new buses and taxis to be distributed across the 20 local government areas and 37 local council development areas in the state in the next two years.

Meanwhile, plans to commence BFS operation on Oshodi-Apapa Expressway has been approved and soon, LAGBUS fleet would ply the road.

The state Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, who addressed a meeting with the LAGBUS management team led by its Managing Director, Mr. Tunde Disu, in his office, said the measure was to ensure sanity, discipline in public transportation and reduce man-hour loss to traffic gridlock often caused by untoward attitude of commercial drivers on the roads.

He explained that the state government had prepared a master plan to enhance the scheme through upgrading of road infrastructure for the smooth operation of the scheme.

Opeifa, who noted that the present fleet of commercial buses was inadequate for the increasing population of Lagos residents, added that massive upgrading of roads such as building of laybacks, bus stops, terminuses among others, would soon be embarked on.

Link below http://odili.net/news/source/2011/aug/19/331.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
so many buildings are weak in Lagos. they need to be brought down & reconstruct it. i was in Lagos last month & i was not impressed @all. the brt's r becoming molue. no aircon, inside r dirty, the body pannel r being dealt wiv by other vehicles. most of the building are falling down e.g. the building in John str. Idumota. bring most of this building down, compensate da ppl & reconstruct them

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
The Badagry Expressway is being expanded to ten lanes and the median of the reconstructed route will include a light rail line and a Bus Rapid Transit line.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Earlier this year, I commented on the really slow progress of the Blue Line, and I am bumping this thread to ask this:

Why is a BRT Line sharing the exact same corridor with a rail mass transit line? I've never seen this anywhere else in the world. Anyone care to evaluate?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Earlier this year, I commented on the really slow progress of the Blue Line, and I am bumping this thread to ask this:

Why is a BRT Line sharing the exact same corridor with a rail mass transit line? I've never seen this anywhere else in the world. Anyone care to evaluate?
What do you mean?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
What do you mean?
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (the main avenue in Jakarta) will have both a Bus Rapid Transit line and a mass rail transit line along it starting in the Spring of 2019. Most of the first Jakarta MRT line will follow the entirety of Corridor 1 of the TransJakarta BRT system (spanning between Jakarta Kota Station and Blok M Bus Terminal).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (the main avenue in Jakarta) will have both a Bus Rapid Transit line and a mass rail transit line along it starting in the Spring of 2019. Most of the first Jakarta MRT line will follow the entirety of Corridor 1 of the TransJakarta BRT system (spanning between Jakarta Kota Station and Blok M Bus Terminal).
Still don’t get it. Given your Jakarta examples, why the “why”? :uh:

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Still don’t get it. Given your Jakarta examples, why the “why”? :uh:
*Sigh* Look, I have no other answer to give you about this. I think the BRT line along the median of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway should have been scrapped and the corridor should have just the MRT line. If you had built just the BRT line in that median instead of the MRT, that wouldn't have been enough in the long term for a city with the density of Lagos. I'm asking, whose bright idea was it to put a BRT line and a metro line in the exact same corridor?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
*Sigh* Look, I have no other answer to give you about this. I think the BRT line along the median of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway should have been scrapped and the corridor should have just the MRT line. If you had built just the BRT line in that median instead of the MRT, that wouldn't have been enough in the long term for a city with the density of Lagos. I'm asking, whose bright idea was it to put a BRT line and a metro line in the exact same corridor?
*Sigh* Look, still don't get it :lol: - as there is NO BRT lane in the median of the Badagry Expressway.

The BRT lanes are outside of the rail lanes and it has its own bus stops (which are shorter apart than the rail stations). However, it has some of those bus stops are at the same points as the rail stations, so that someone who wants to get on the train can almost seamlessly transfer at such stops. In effect, if a commuter is just going up a few hundred meters on the Badagry Expressway, he would not have to hop onto the train to do so (for starters, one would expect that buses would come along more frequently than the trains).

Nonetheless, given your earlier assertion that the "Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (the main avenue in Jakarta) will have both a Bus Rapid Transit line and a mass rail transit line along it," still don't quite get your apparent angst at a similar concept here in Africa.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Additionally, let's not forget the small PRACTICAL matter that the BRT buses are CURRENTLY in operation while the Blue Line is now being projected to commence full commercial operation in 2022 - and even then not all the way to Okokomaiko.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
generally BRT line will have more stops than metro line. for short distances, it will be more convenient to commute via BRT.
and not to mention fare differences. for jakarta case, starting price of an MRT ride will be more than double than the price of a BRT ride.

Reactions: JoblessBeggar

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
^^Good point. Sometimes the MRT Blue Line stations can be over two kilometers apart from each other. The corridor between Blok M and JakartaKota in Jakarta, there will be 15 MRT stations and 20 BRT stations.

*Sigh* Look, still don't get it :lol: - as there is NO BRT lane in the median of the Badagry Expressway.

The BRT lanes are outside of the rail lanes and it has its own bus stops (which are shorter apart than the rail stations). However, it has some of those bus stops are at the same points as the rail stations, so that someone who wants to get on the train can almost seamlessly transfer at such stops. In effect, if a commuter is just going up a few hundred meters on the Badagry Expressway, he would not have to hop onto the train to do so (for starters, one would expect that buses would come along more frequently than the trains).

Nonetheless, given your earlier assertion that the "Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (the main avenue in Jakarta) will have both a Bus Rapid Transit line and a mass rail transit line along it," still don't quite get your apparent angst at a similar concept here in Africa.
Well, what else can I do or say to make you "get it"? You are really upsetting me right now. The reason for my "angst" is that I already said that a Bus Rapid Transit network will not be enough in the long term as the population of the Lagos area continues to grow. I am not going to say/explain the same things to you over and over again. If you're going to bully/upset me about this, then you're better off just staying off this thread and let other users have their input on the BRT issue. Doesn't change the fact that I still wish the progress of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway reconstruction were faster.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts