SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
^^Good point. Sometimes the MRT Blue Line stations can be over two kilometers apart from each other. The corridor between Blok M and JakartaKota in Jakarta, there will be 15 MRT stations and 20 BRT stations.

Well, what else can I do or say to make you "get it"? You are really upsetting me right now. The reason for my "angst" is that I already said that a Bus Rapid Transit network will not be enough in the long term as the population of the Lagos area continues to grow. I am not going to say/explain the same things to you over and over again. If you're going to bully/upset me about this, then you're better off just staying off this thread and let other users have their input on the BRT issue. Doesn't change the fact that I still wish the progress of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway reconstruction were faster.
Please put a cork in it! :eek:hno:

You may be unaware of how a PUBLIC discussion forum works, but be rest assured that when you voluntarily SHARE your thoughts and opinions on a PUBLIC forum (or otherwise place same in the PUBLIC realm), the PUBLIC that you address or otherwise seek to share your opinions with or impart same upon have an UNFETTERED right and privilege to comment thereupon, and personally I will continue to respond to whatever I so please on this PUBLIC forum without seeking your permission or validation. If that "upsets" or offends you, feel free to keep your thoughts/opinions to yourself!

Meanwhile, on the substantive matter under discourse, I did not get your apparent angst/puzzlement/befuddlement as it seems that both the Badagry and Jakarta systems share the exact same characteristics. But it seems that now that what appears to be your fellow countryfolk has set out exactly the same explanations that I did, it has suddenly become a "good point"! SMH

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
^^Good point. Sometimes the MRT Blue Line stations can be over two kilometers apart from each other. The corridor between Blok M and JakartaKota in Jakarta, there will be 15 MRT stations and 20 BRT stations.

Well, what else can I do or say to make you "get it"? You are really upsetting me right now. The reason for my "angst" is that I already said that a Bus Rapid Transit network will not be enough in the long term as the population of the Lagos area continues to grow. I am not going to say/explain the same things to you over and over again. If you're going to bully/upset me about this, then you're better off just staying off this thread and let other users have their input on the BRT issue. Doesn't change the fact that I still wish the progress of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway reconstruction were faster.
Who said a BRT network will suffice, since the LASG is also building/expanding rail and water transportation networks? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nobody said here that anybody is complaining!We have made clear how smart they are for the region. Indeed, I would, is there anything wrong if Nigeria has the best looking or the most effective public transportation in Africa? we are saying that Nigeria can always do things to what we think it is capable to do. If tiny Dubai can why can`t Nigeria with enormous natural resources.
Well your comparing all of Nigeria to one single city, while Lagos alone has nearly 3 times as many people to cater to as all of the UAE... so this is not exactly a realistic comparison. But I do agree with you in regard to the fact of that the nation and Lagos in particular is performing significantly below its capability. Corruption is a major killer of success in that nation. Every nation has corruption, but the most economically and infrastructural successful nations are those in which are able to control it to a level in which will still allow growth and stability to reign.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can someone explain why Lagos' governors have chosen not to invest in a subway system? Is the soil in the area not conducive for such a system?

That's because the hydrological condition of large swathes of Lagos is not suitable for a subway system. With shallow aquifers (with meteoric water table as shallow as 5-8 m, Longe et al., 1987) and significant seawater intrusion (Oladapo et al., 2014), building a subway in Lagos makes as much sense as building a sand castle in the wind except of course you plan to flood the entire subway system. Furthermore, it has been projected that global sea level will rise by 1 to 1.5 m by 2050 (IPCC report 2012) with cities like New Orleans likely to be completely submerged by year 2100. This will further exacerbate the seawater intrusion in Lagos and if you think 2050 is so far away, well it's only 32 years from now and think about how long it is taking the Blue line currently. A subway system simply does not make sense for a city like Lagos.

References:
Longe, EO;Malomo, S; Olorunniwo, MA. (1983) Hydrogeology of Lagos Metropolis. Journal of African Earth Sciences, Vol 6:163-174.

Oladapo, MI; Ilori, OB; Adeoye-Oladapo, OO. (2014) Geophysical study of saline water intrusion in Lagos municipality. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol 8:16-30.

IPCC, 2012: Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation. A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Field, C.B., V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.-K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Tignor, and P.M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, 582 pp

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Please put a cork in it! :eek:hno:

You may be unaware of how a PUBLIC discussion forum works, but be rest assured that when you voluntarily SHARE your thoughts and opinions on a PUBLIC forum (or otherwise place same in the PUBLIC realm), the PUBLIC that you address or otherwise seek to share your opinions with or impart same upon have an UNFETTERED right and privilege to comment thereupon, and personally I will continue to respond to whatever I so please on this PUBLIC forum without seeking your permission or validation. If that "upsets" or offends you, feel free to keep your thoughts/opinions to yourself!

Meanwhile, on the substantive matter under discourse, I did not get your apparent angst/puzzlement/befuddlement as it seems that both the Badagry and Jakarta systems share the exact same characteristics. But it seems that now that what appears to be your fellow countryfolk has set out exactly the same explanations that I did, it has suddenly become a "good point"! SMH
But that does not give you the right to bully me like this. If this were a public forum, users other than yourself would give their responses to the Jakarta example I brought up without bullying, but after what you stated, I'm sorry I even brought Jakarta up on this thread in the first place.

I don't think you should reply to me again if you're going to repeat the same "I don't get the BRT/MRT on the same corridor" response, but if you were to give such a response to me again and continue to bully me over this, you'd be in the brig for a few days (per the rules of this forum). But for now, I'm just going to put you on the ignore list right now.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
But that does not give you the right to bully me like this. If this were a public forum, users other than yourself would give their responses to the Jakarta example I brought up without bullying, but after what you stated, I'm sorry I even brought Jakarta up on this thread in the first place.

I don't think you should reply to me again if you're going to repeat the same "I don't get the BRT/MRT on the same corridor" response, but if you were to give such a response to me again and continue to bully me over this, you'd be in the brig for a few days (per the rules of this forum). But for now, I'm just going to put you on the ignore list right now.
So asking you to clarify your post is "bullying"? :eek:hno:

Dude, I am going to respond to any and all posts that I personally elect to respond to in this PUBLIC forum, without first seeking your permission. If you do not like the PUBLIC that you address and SHARE your thoughts with on this PUBLIC forum responding or commenting thereupon, please take your thoughts to a private forum (perhaps www.herdmentality.net). Meanwhile, feel free to put me in your so-called "brig" or whatever. It will NEVER deter me from freely participating in PUBLIC discourse on a PUBLIC forum as and when I (not you) elect to so do. SMH

·
Registered
183 Posts
So asking you to clarify your post is "bullying"? :eek:hno:

Dude, I am going to respond to any and all posts that I personally elect to respond to in this PUBLIC forum, without first seeking your permission. If you do not like the PUBLIC that you address and SHARE your thoughts with on this PUBLIC forum responding or commenting thereupon, please take your thoughts to a private forum (perhaps www.herdmentality.net). Meanwhile, feel free to put me in your so-called "brig" or whatever. It will NEVER deter me from freely participating in PUBLIC discourse on a PUBLIC forum as and when I (not you) elect to so do. SMH

I think you are full of yourself and have no respect for others in this Forum. A little bit of humility will do you a lot of good "Mr I Know it All"

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think you are full of yourself and have no respect for others in this Forum. A little bit of humility will do you a lot of good "Mr I Know it All"
Please, put a cork in it. :eek:hno:

Asked dude to clarify the point that he was trying to make, and that I frankly still do not get (difference between the Lagos and Jakarta lines), and instead he launched into a condescending drivel. Trolls of the feather. SMH

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So, a dude comes to the NIGERIAN page of a public discussion forum and directs a NIGERIAN (and yes I realize that some of the xenophobes on here don't think that I am a "real" Nigerian) to desist from participating in a discussion about a NIGERIAN project, and along comes the Samuel L. Jackson's character from "Django" to berate the NIGERIAN for not having the so-called "humility" to grovel 'Yes Massa'!

All this on the eve of NIGERIAN Independence Day nonetheless. SMH :eek:hno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's because the hydrological condition of large swathes of Lagos is not suitable for a subway system. With shallow aquifers (with meteoric water table as shallow as 5-8 m, Longe et al., 1987) and significant seawater intrusion (Oladapo et al., 2014), building a subway in Lagos makes as much sense as building a sand castle in the wind except of course you plan to flood the entire subway system. Furthermore, it has been projected that global sea level will rise by 1 to 1.5 m by 2050 (IPCC report 2012) with cities like New Orleans likely to be completely submerged by year 2100. This will further exacerbate the seawater intrusion in Lagos and if you think 2050 is so far away, well it's only 32 years from now and think about how long it is taking the Blue line currently. A subway system simply does not make sense for a city like Lagos.

References:
Longe, EO;Malomo, S; Olorunniwo, MA. (1983) Hydrogeology of Lagos Metropolis. Journal of African Earth Sciences, Vol 6:163-174.

Oladapo, MI; Ilori, OB; Adeoye-Oladapo, OO. (2014) Geophysical study of saline water intrusion in Lagos municipality. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol 8:16-30.

IPCC, 2012: Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation. A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Field, C.B., V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.-K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Tignor, and P.M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, 582 pp
Ok, makes sense. It sounds as though Lagos may have a similar situation as Chicago, but Chicago has managed to submerge some of its lines for at least a few stops through some of its busiest areas. I think that this could of been a good plan for Lagos as well. I feel as though some of the heavily populated mainland areas may have sufficient enough soil to support an underground system for at least a mile or so, before returning back to being elevated as is the case in Chicago.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Why are they buying Mercedes Benz? When we have Innoson that makes buses? We are our own worst enemy.
Doubtful that Innoson presently has the necessary capacity or fulfills the technical specifications. These are high-capacity, environmentally-friendly buses with wheelchair-accessibility, electronic ticketing and information systems, free Wifi, and charging ports. Furthermore, Lagos plans to partner with private investors build future batches at 2 different plants in Lagos, so Innoson can always bid for such partnership.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
How many corridors do Lagos BRT have right now? I tried to look up the internet for the most updated one with no avail. Judging from the above photo, it might be quite a network.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why are they buying Mercedes Benz? When we have Innoson that makes buses? We are our own worst enemy.
Importing buses for a start is not a problem. Personally I don't see any need to build locally. Just have good maintenance operations. It's the bus service that matters most, not where they are made. There are lots of European cities that have extensive bus networks without making them locally.

Going to the open market ensures better quality buses and the handful of manufacturers ( Mercedes, Volvo, Scania, MAN) would compete to win bids. Forcing buses to be made locally like the US does with it's "Buy America" requirements does not save any costs. Actually American bus purchase contracts are more expensive than their European or South American ones and the buses are of inferior quality. Since there's no competition and the Local bus manufacturers don't want to update their archaic architecture.

I want to see good service. The economic impact of a good bus service is far greater than the impact of making a handful of busses locally.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How many corridors do Lagos BRT have right now? I tried to look up the internet for the most updated one with no avail. Judging from the above photo, it might be quite a network.

Only 1 corridor is currently operational with a short branch via Yaba. It initially opened on the 24km route from Mile 12 bus stop on the mainland to TBS bus stop on the island.

The route was further extended northwards to Ikorodu. The new route is about 36km. I don't know the amount of busses currently in operation, but I remember reading 450 buses somewhere maybe more. The current busses are definitely not enough and there are severe delays on the route going by news reports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With the benefit of hindsight, looks like Ambode had quite some impressive vision and foresight to advance the Bus Rapid Transit System. It is unfortunate that the current government hasn't contributed much to the system and it seems the new bus stations and the Oshodi Interchange is not being exploited to its full potential. I guess time will tell.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts