SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, there are indeed noticeable signs of improvement in Nigeria, something I can attest to as a recent visitor. I noticed a lot of efforts being made to revamp/beautify urban centers and interstate road networks etc. Some of what I've seen in Lagos by the way is comparable to the best anywhere in the world, particularly the roads and all the solar street lights everywhere now. It looks a different city at night these days. Everywhere lit up. These were areas that were largely negected under military rule (1985-99).I see progress now definitely.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Yes, there are indeed noticeable signs of improvement in Nigeria, something I can attest to as a recent visitor. I noticed a lot of efforts being made to revamp/beautify urban centers and interstate road networks etc. Some of what I've seen in Lagos by the way is comparable to the best anywhere in the world, particularly the roads and all the solar street lights everywhere now. It looks a different city at night these days. Everywhere lit up. These were areas that were largely negected under military rule (1985-99).I see progress now definitely.
What about the society as a whole?How organised is Nigerian society at the moment?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I personally think with time things will gradually get better, the mentality cant change overnight. we can all educate each other and do something positive.
Yes! It depends on how well the people are informed. Nigerans need to do that now that is easier to do. The uneducated population is growing faster than the educated and the primitive values are highly adhered to in the nation. So, saying with time could mean 100 years. It would be better if the organizing of the society is taken as a priority. Not only that it's obligatory but expedient.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yes! It depends on how well the people are informed. Nigerans need to do that now that is easier to do. The uneducated population is growing faster than the educated and the primitive values are highly adhered to in the nation. So, saying with time could mean 100 years. It would be better if the organizing of the society is taken as a priority. Not only that it's obligatory but expedient.
Huh?! :eek:hno:

·
Nigeria Rules!
1,662 Posts
I don't see how that is true

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Did you mean to say it the other way round?
The highest increase in population of Nigeria is in demographic North and which most of them are not attending school for some reasons; the Northern uneducated population has rapidly exploded much more than the educated. In absolute comparison there might be more people willing to go to schools or attenting schools now but the relative comparison to the increase in the population proves that there are more uneducated people. It would sound wise if the percentage of educated goes parallel with the increase in the population.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The highest increase in population of Nigeria is in demographic North and which most of them are not attending school for some reasons; the Northern uneducated population has rapidly exploded much more than the educated. In absolute comparison there might be more people willing to go to schools or attenting schools now but the relative comparison to the increase in the population proves that there are more uneducated people. It would sound wise if the percentage of educated goes parallel with the increase in the population.
Although the number of Northern Nigerian kids are drastically lower than their Southern counterparts at the SS3 and tertiary levels (particularly as most females get married off early and even the males start their families relatively early), most Northerners actually have the benefit of an early primary (or Islamic) school education. Even pastoral and other nomadic kids in Northern Nigeria get the benefit of nomadic education programs.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
Well than they should do a better job enforcing it. If they can do that, nigeria would be a very powerful country. I think one of the reasons of people not going to school are school fee's. They should be gone and/or lowered.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well than they should do a better job enforcing it. If they can do that, nigeria would be a very powerful country. I think one of the reasons of people not going to school are school fee's. They should be gone and/or lowered.
Again, there is a de facto and a de jure divide. Virtually all public school education in Nigeria is theoretically "free" (and even most public universities are theoretically tuition free), but in most states it is not factually so (usually through a labyrinth of levies).

·
Baba Kekere of Eko City
4 Posts
Mall of Africa- Proposed Largest Mall in Sub-Sahara Africa

Name: Mall of Africa
City: Lagos
Use: Shopping/Entertainment

Description: The Mall of Africa will be the Largest mall ever in Africa. Standing at it’s
120,000 Sq m size, it will hold an Entertainment Centre, Cinemas, Fashion Stores and
Retail Shops.
No. of Cinema Screens: 12
Construction Period: 2 years

21 - 40 of 41 Posts