SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 776 Posts

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I really do not think that Underground is well suited for the Lagos terrain (at least not the Lagos Islands and the immediate areas that surround it (Where you have the commercial business districts).

In fact even surface rail is not well suited for many parts of Lagos (so you can only imagine, what you are suggesting by saying underground). It is not an impossibility and there are coastal cities such as New York with underground systems, but there will be complications and increased costs.

New York does face challenges with regards to their underground system.

BTW which 50 Billion went missing? That is a very false assumption.
I've always thought the flooding in Lagos could affect a subway. Perhaps Abuja and other states are better suited for undergrounds

·
Registered
27 Posts
how i which lagos can buy rail bus that will last for 60 years
is good to have good infratruture
is high time nigeria shoud build good infracture like the one in dubai
will need a mega city like that of china and not that of africa content

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
Ive heard this several times on SSC, that Lagos is not suited for an underground.

Is this expert engineering opinion consensus or just hot air talk?

·
Villeurbanne
4,367 Posts
Like i've said, the "cut and cover" solution could be use in many parts of the city instead of deeper tunnels ... if you can build skyscrapers on the floor of lagos, you can at least build cut and cover métros ... it is the cheapest solution for underground systems. It have been used in the begining my city which also have a problematic terrain and later when technology developped they used deep tunnels to pass the rivers.

And by the way i can give you another example of fast developping city metro system under a problematic terrain : Pearl River Delta Megacity

Including a population of +60.000.000 (the population of my country)

24 metro lines + 12 light rail lines !!!!
You can see it in Google maps, the terrain is surounded by water ... and Hong Kong is geographicaly very complex !!!

Sooo ... it is possible in Lagos ... flooding is not an argument, you can prevent it like japaneese prevent building from earthquakes.... they just face the problem.

@Tbite : about the 50billion missing.... : http://www.businessinsider.com/nigeria-is-missing-50-billion-in-oil-2013-12

It is not an exeption, the economic rules are unfair for the african countries AND theses countries dont ask to the companies the money they deserve !!!! (bad and corrupted leaders that dont want to change the rules and that are too much selfish).

Some foreign companies just extract the ressources and directly sell and send it to more developped countries for the transformation. They pay a ridiculous taxt to the african country and by the way polute the lands (a threat for the farmers and the people surrounding theses places) ... every time someone want to change theses rules ... he or she is killed and pictured as a terrorist or dictator like Nkurumah / Lumumba etc ... (the list is sooo long) and sometimes some people provocate civil war so they can send their army and enjoy the reward ^^ (this is the current technique of "divide to reign" that have been used so many times across history, you can read many interesting things about how the CIA infiltrated Malcolm X's organisation to murder him and disolve his movement and you can imagine this kind of operation at larger scale.)

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
You have not answered anything.

1a) I said, it can be done but there will be complications. BTW many parts of Lagos that some Nigerians may not even know are actually swampland! Some areas in Victoria Island were originally swampland for example, but the British simply filled them. Not to mention the swamp areas that remain in places such near the West of Lagos. Outside of these swamp areas, the terrain is also unsuitable in places such as Lekki or prone to overland flow in places such as Victoria Island.

1b) When you factor all these conditions, are the costs really practical? Don't tell me of any examples in any country, that is just stupidity. Post the actual figures in dollar denomination. It is not the fact that it is possible that matters, but whether it is financially practical! The other thing is the technology! Whenever you import new types of technology that are new to the region, there will be additional costs as well. the costs to transport these modules throughout the lifetime of the project and the costs associated with expertise. Next minute you will be telling me about exemplars from Netherlands

2) $50 Billion is not missing, so stop posting random articles.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
BTW This is the Lagos Rail Map (Future & Ongoing Routes)

·
Registered
197 Posts
vfG,

How many times have you been in Nigeria?

Building a metro in a city where there is no power is a complete non sense.

90% of the time offices, houses, factories are working with their own generators.

I've rode somewhere that NYC Metro network consumes as much power as a city of 200,000 inhabitants... Lagos has even not power for 20,000...

There is no power in Nigeria and it seems to continue like that for a long time.

·
Villeurbanne
4,367 Posts
There is no power in Nigeria and it seems to continue like that for a long time.

Nigeria produces petrol ... Ghana also produces petrol ... Niger produces Uranium .... don't tell me there is no energy in your region, Africa is full of energy and natural ressources ... much more than Middle Esatern Countries ... you can sell it exchange it transform it ... this is just one more excuse ... and if you want more eco green solutions, you also got the sun ... they did it in Spain Australia India etc ...

And by the way : Paris transportation system also use the energy of a city of 350.000 inhabitants ... this energy comes from nuclear plant ... and you know what ? The uranium comes from Niger !!!!

But as i told you before, the economy of Nigeria is poor (even if the ground is rich) and badly managed ... no technologic transfer ... no leaders ... Eko Atlantic City is the vision BY foreign investors FOR foreign investors first (i'm not telling it is a bad thing for Lagos) while cities like Shanghai, Ryiadh or Seoul are mainly imagined and designed by the locals ...

But anyway, Nigeria can Wake up anytime ... you got everything to rise ... the population, the ressources, the lands ... and maybe i've never been in Nigeria, but all i know from my point of view, is that my country (France) could'nt have been so rich without the african ressources ... our energy is mainly produced from african uranium axtracted by Areva ... our petrol also comes from Africa by Total ... and many other usefull stuff that litterally makes the economy of France ... an African embargo would be so dramatic for us ...

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Lagos is a world class city, it's time to move fast and clean up like the rest of the world class cities. My cousin in Nigeria told me NEPA stands for (Never Expect Power Always). I really hope they can fix their power problems, clean up the city and truly move forward with clean public transportation quickly. I would love to visit Lagos again.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nigeria produces petrol ... Ghana also produces petrol ... Niger produces Uranium .... don't tell me there is no energy in your region, Africa is full of energy and natural ressources ... much more than Middle Esatern Countries ... you can sell it exchange it transform it ... this is just one more excuse ... and if you want more eco green solutions, you also got the sun ... they did it in Spain Australia India etc ...

And by the way : Paris transportation system also use the energy of a city of 350.000 inhabitants ... this energy comes from nuclear plant ... and you know what ? The uranium comes from Niger !!!!

But as i told you before, the economy of Nigeria is poor (even if the ground is rich) and badly managed ... no technologic transfer ... no leaders ... Eko Atlantic City is the vision BY foreign investors FOR foreign investors first (i'm not telling it is a bad thing for Lagos) while cities like Shanghai, Ryiadh or Seoul are mainly imagined and designed by the locals ...

But anyway, Nigeria can Wake up anytime ... you got everything to rise ... the population, the ressources, the lands ... and maybe i've never been in Nigeria, but all i know from my point of view, is that my country (France) could'nt have been so rich without the african ressources ... our energy is mainly produced from african uranium axtracted by Areva ... our petrol also comes from Africa by Total ... and many other usefull stuff that litterally makes the economy of France ... an African embargo would be so dramatic for us ...
It takes a while but we will get there, the younger generation of Africans and nigerians are making things happen.

·
Villeurbanne
4,367 Posts
I hope you are right i hope they wont migrate their brain northern ! but i think Nigeria and Africa will need all the générations together. Otherwise it is procastination :lol:

·
I'm The King
6,724 Posts

"Eko Atlantic City is the vision of the Lagos Government, starting in 2003 when in search of a permanent solution to protect Bar Beach in Victoria Island from the effects of severe coastal erosion, and to safeguard Victoria Island from the threat of flooding. Between 2003 and 2005 South Energyx Nigeria Limited, the developers and city planners of Eko Atlantic, engaged in a feasibility study with international experts to solve the problem once and for all. This chronology begins in 2005."

I don't know where your getting your foreign conception from. Why on earth would foreigners think of building an entire business district in a foreign nation?

As far as leadership is concerned, Nigeria is significantly better lead today than it was 20 years ago, and it’s getting progressively better. Is it not foreign nationals, like those from your country (France) that is raving about future economic projections for Nigeria?

·
I'm The King
6,724 Posts
I hope you are right i hope they wont migrate their brain northern ! but i think Nigeria and Africa will need all the générations together. Otherwise it is procastination :lol:
Many Nigerians are actually migrating back to Nigeria, today.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts
Ive heard this several times on SSC, that Lagos is not suited for an underground.

Is this expert engineering opinion consensus or just hot air talk?
I wouldn't be surprised if costs were the main inhibitor to building a metro. It's most likely more cost effective to construct a light rail system and expand BRT. Which if anything is a great start for urban transit, and could lay the grounds for a potential metro system someday.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts
BTW This is the Lagos Rail Map (Future & Ongoing Routes)

I always wondered, Lagos state has over 20 million people and is so tiny, so there must be other cities (that are apart of the greater lagos metropolitan area) that the orange, red and yellow lines could extend up north to. Unless the state's entire population is located within this small area.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
èđđeůx;111933346 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if costs were the main inhibitor to building a metro. It's most likely more cost effective to construct a light rail system and expand BRT. Which if anything is a great start for urban transit, and could lay the grounds for a potential metro system someday.
So you're suggesting that, for a city to turn to rail transit and BRT to solve its rail transit problems, that major city should build some long (at-grade) tram lines and BRT lines, and once the major city is able to build a metro/mass rail transit system, it should decommission and remove some of the tram and BRT lines once the metro system begins operation?

In reality, I probably don't see Lagos actually removing the BRT lines after any expansions of their Mass Rail Transit systems.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts
So you're suggesting that, for a city to turn to rail transit and BRT to solve its rail transit problems, that major city should build some long (at-grade) tram lines and BRT lines, and once the major city is able to build a metro/mass rail transit system, it should decommission and remove some of the tram and BRT lines once the metro system begins operation?

In reality, I probably don't see Lagos actually removing the BRT lines after any expansions of their Mass Rail Transit systems.
Why would it be removed? BRT and light rail may be the cheapest option as of now. In the future a metro system can be constructed to service the areas the first two don't cover, and help ease any congestion on the routes that they do service.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
^^I've heard of BRT and Light Rail lines being constructed to service an area that a metro system's lines can't easily cover, also.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Courtesy of Israel Fesisayo

I don't know if these are your pictures, or what you were trying to post.

261 - 280 of 776 Posts