SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
Seattle
3,396 Posts
Looks like a great project that treats both the sharp corner and the round edge really well. May I suggest the U-District thread for this development? I agree it doesn't fit in nicely into any of the existing threads.

Reactions: iogeon

· Journeyman
18,721 Posts
Looks like a 257-unit affordable housing development. https://web6.seattle.gov/dpd/edms/GetDocument.aspx?id=5474094

Lake City is starting to gain some real oomph as an urban village. This looks like a great project.

Edit: Just NE of this site, a 159-unit project's MUP was about to sunset a week from now. They just started moving on building permits...maybe they want to build it, and maybe they just want to string the MUP along (a process I'm not an expert at...anyone?). https://web6.seattle.gov/dpd/edms/GetDocument.aspx?id=5588008

· Registered
571 Posts
Yay, didn't realize there was a Lake City thread on here! We don't have many other projects actively under construction up here, but the pipeline has some movement that could lead to a few more construction sites popping up in the next year or so.

The 33rd Ave NE project mhays spotted the activity on had seemingly been dormant for quite some time. Hope this means the owners are still serious about finishing it. A few others besides that one and the old Value Village site that appear to have permit momentum:

Thrive Seattle (12727 30th Ave NE)

210-unit apartment building that will offer supportive housing for young adults with autism. The latest round of activity on the land use permits in the past month of so seem to indicate just about all the remaining corrections/issues have been sorted out.

Amalfi on 30th (12337 30th Ave NE)
130-unit apartment building just north of Dick's Drive-In. Demo permit approved already, but still has to clear design review board meeting upcoming on April 19.

A few other projects like a 100-unit building at 12320 32nd Ave NE, a 44 townhouse project at 3500 NE 125th St, senior housing project just north of old Value Village (12558 LCW) all look promising but seem to have no recent permit activity at least that I'm able to find in SDCI. There is also another cluster of projects getting planned near the city boundary at LCW and NE 145th St which is presumably being spurred on by the upcoming Sound Transit BRT line and NE 145th St/I-5 light rail station combo.

· Journeyman
18,721 Posts
I was wondering about that senior housing site. Nothing on Shaping Seattle...still a sketchy source until they populate things properly (and add some damn filtering). At over 300 units and filling a big hole, that would do wonders. Senior housing can be a real boon if it focuses on younger elderly.

The lack of sidewalks on many streets in the Lake City core is really distressing. I heard an $800 million figure once to take care of this citywide, which would be much higher now. I'd settle for something on the scale of $40 million a year to gradually cover the arterials, school routes, etc., with emphasis on urban villages.

· Registered
571 Posts
I was wondering about that senior housing site. Nothing on Shaping Seattle...still a sketchy source until they populate things properly (and add some damn filtering). At over 300 units and filling a big hole, that would do wonders. Senior housing can be a real boon if it focuses on younger elderly.
Yeah doesn't look like any permit activity for that one since design review packet was uploaded in Jan 2020; since the project isn't even past early design guidance phase it will probably take awhile. I'm hoping things were just on pause due to COVID and will get moving again later this year.

Solara (the blue & yellow building just south of Fred Meyer) has the modern code sidewalks and little retail parking, but it's really on an island. The 12558 senior housing project would do wonders to connect the Solara mixed use complex to the rest of Lake City's core retail with modern sidewalk/landscaping codes and activated with retail space. It would feel so different compared to the parking lots and strip mall style buildings one needs to walk past today.

· Premium Member
Seattle
3,396 Posts
I live just a 10 minute walk from Lake City's core and have done a terrible job of keeping this forum updated on the happenings here. (Kids, work, all the tired excuses.) But yes, I feel like there is about to be a boom of activity in Lake City with the projects that have started and the ones that are going through design review. For being just 4 miles north of the University, and for having frequent bus connections to downtown, the University and Northgate, this neighborhood has a ton of potential.

In addition to the above there is currently a 150 bedroom micro unit apartment building goin up on 125th and 33rd. It's probably 80-85% finished, and should help add some density just a block away from the core of the neighborhood.

There's also a lot of townhomes going up around the walkshed of Lake City's core. There are plans for a new community center too. I'll try to get out and take some pictures at some point.

· Registered
571 Posts
12320 32nd Ave NE

Found out why the permits seemed dormant for 12320 32nd Ave NE - the project is for sale. Presumably as soon as a buyer closes a sale, groundbreaking could begin shortly thereafter. 104 units, mostly efficiency units.

Amalfi on 30th (12337 30th Ave NE, next to Dick's)
Just saw over the weekend that demolition down to the slab is complete.

· Registered
4,081 Posts
Small modular building in Lake City. I've been tracking the Othello modular project and they're really struggling. They're 2.5 years into the project and they still haven't finished the envelope. Maybe this team will do better.

· Premium Member
Seattle
3,396 Posts
I'm excited about the future of Pinehurst. That little stretch of 15th AVE NE is pretty narrow and already has some good buildings and retail fronting the street, with new buildings already proposed and under construction. A few more projects like this can really activate the neighborhood.

· Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Not sure if this is the best thread but per Marc Stiles in PSBJ the Puetz Golf store and driving range property off Aurora just north of the Home Depot is being sold to Pulte Homes.

'Pulte Homes of Washington is proposing a project called Two Degrees, which totals around 120 townhouses and 120 condos in a mid-rise building on the nearly 7.6-acre property. The townhouses will be three stories and have around 155 parking stalls, most in an enclosed garage, and the five-story condo includes about 160 stalls, mostly underground....Pulte declined the Business Journal's request for an interview but said the two- to four-bedroom townhomes will range from approximately 1,350 to 1,750-plus square feet with two-car garages. One- to two-bedroom condos will range from 950 to 1,450-plus square feet. '

First closings are planned for 2024

21 - 40 of 67 Posts