Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend we finally made it to Lake George in upstate NY. I just love it there - the water is clean, there are lots of fish, and huge history from French Indian wars. Lost of small towns with cozy houses all around the lake. Lost of wild animals - bears included roaming around.

Lake

water is so transparent that you can almost drink it and fish is in abundance

Life around the lake

local Broadway

old Trolleys

·
15,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
History of the place is quite unique. English built a military fort from logs on the south bank of the lake to cover the main road south towards Albany and NYC. in 1757 it was attacked by the french under the command of the Marquis de Montcalm. He took it after short siege. But he has very little force to continue his drive south so he turned around and went up north to fort Ticonderoga which is much more well built and powerful. English used this respite to gather the forces and start push de Montcalm north. After beating off a three month siege by the English de Montcalm abandoned his quest of NY and went to Quebec where he was killed the following year in a final battle of the war.

Fort William Henry

Pillory

read the sign below

English Redcoats

this is what fort used to be once

De Montcalm

"Last of the Mohicans" was filmed here and the same name book by Fenimore Cooper also took place in the same place

dungeons

King George sign - George Regnum

I tried pillory myself. It is quite devious design for torture. since it is quite high - you cannot stand on your knees. but it is also quite low to get yourself straight up. so you are forced to stand bended over for days until release. only two minutes into the device - I had a back pain. Now just try to imagine staying there for an hour? :bash: :nuts:

Local historian / professor in college / hunter half German half American Indian (Mohawk tribe). behind him the animals he killed himself.

view to the lake from the embrasures of the fort

Locals castles and people using their super rich boats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts