SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/27/kenya-wind-farm

Some 365 giant wind turbines are to be installed in desert around Lake Turkana in northern Kenya – used as a backdrop for the film The Constant Gardener – creating the biggest windfarm on the continent. When complete in 2012, the £533m project will have a capacity of 300MW, a quarter of Kenya's current installed power and one of the highest proportions of wind energy to be fed in a national grid anywhere in the world.

"We believe that this site is one of the best in the world for wind," he said. If the project succeeds, the company estimates that there is the potential for the farm to generate a further 2,700MW of power, some of which could be exported.

First, however, there are huge logistical obstacles to overcome. The remote site of Loiyangalani is nearly 300 miles north of Nairobi. Transporting the turbines will require several thousand truck journeys, as well as the improvement of bridges and roads along the way. Security is also an issue as the region is known bandit country, and many locals are armed with AK-47 assault rifles.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
This project if implemented will be the cheapest and safest way to generate power than any other proposal I have heared so far.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Denmark's Vestas to sign deal with Kenyan wind firm

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP), a firm planning to build a 300 MW windfarm in Kenya, said on Tuesday it had signed an exclusivity deal with Denmark's Vestas and would be signing a final agreement in October.

LTWP intends to erect at least 353 wind turbines, each with a capacity of 850 KW, which will be procured from the world's biggest maker of wind turbines, Vestas Wind Systems A/S.

"We have signed an exclusivity agreement with Vestas," LTWP's Chairman Carlo Van Wageningen told Reuters.

"We are now in the process of signing the actual EPC (engineering, construction and procurement) contract ... determining the proper value, all the details of the supply, along with (an) operations and management contract."

He said the company hopes to complete the deal before the end of October but declined to give more details until then.

LTWP plans to use Vestas V52 turbines and expects initial production to start in June 2011 and to have full production of 300 MW a year later.

It has already advertised for construction tenders to put up a 428 km (266 mile) power line and four substations to link the wind farm in a remote corner of Kenya to the national grid.

The total project cost is estimated at about $760 million, LTWP director Chris Staubo told Reuters in January. The African Development Bank had shown willingness to finance 30 percent of that, he had said.

Once completed, the project could meet about a quarter of Kenya's current energy demand.

Most of Kenya's power is generated by hydro-electric plants. But water levels have fallen due to consecutive seasons of insufficient rain and forced the east African nation into outages.

The country hopes to add 2,000 MW of environmentally-friendly energy sources by 2013.

The LTWP farm will be situated in the windy Loiyangalani area in north western Kenya where The Constant Gardner, a 2005 film based on John le Carre's novel of the same title, was partly shot.

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-GreenBusiness/idUSTRE58L3JN20090922

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
I love this project, thank God its being realised.
IMAGINE AFRICAS LARGEST WINDPOWER FARM!!

·
I'm sweet enough
1,342 Posts
Are there any other electricity production projects under construction or on the planning table for the coming years in Kenya?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am not very happy with wind power in Kenya....wind is rather expensive...the will be selling us the power @ sh. 10 for the next 20 years. in the coal powered economies..power gets to the consumer @ equivalent of sh. 3 to 5. geothermal is the best and most reliable alternative for Kenya. Also, coal should be exploited in Machakos for powers...Lets forget this green talk...that is for Industrialized countries which also started dirty..

·
ilete baraka kwetu
332 Posts
i think the wind power project is timely. remember the ethiopians are in the process of building a major dam on river omo which drains into l. turkana, and are planning to sell some of the power from that dam to kenya. if we can get the 300 mw from wind in turkana, it would save us the money we would pay the ethiopians for the same.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i think the wind power project is timely. remember the ethiopians are in the process of building a major dam on river omo which drains into l. turkana, and are planning to sell some of the power from that dam to kenya. if we can get the 300 mw from wind in turkana, it would save us the money we would pay the ethiopians for the same.

It does not save us anything....the Wind station is owned by Foreigners from Holland...The advantage with Ethiopian Power is that it is cheaper and more reliable.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
It does not save us anything....the Wind station is owned by Foreigners from Holland...The advantage with Ethiopian Power is that it is cheaper and more reliable.
i think you are being a bit too negative, unilever kenya is foreign too so is it not good for kenya? although i understand where you coming from with the foreign owned arugument but i really dont think it is a big deal(fyi, i believe in a free market i dont give a crap about the nationalism arguement)

bottom line is that despite all the negatives of wind power in kenya fact is it is another power option that kenya will have that most other african countries dont have. i cant believe that is something you dont want for kenya.

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
Are there any other electricity production projects under construction or on the planning table for the coming years in Kenya?
There are a number of projects, mainly geothermal, thermal, wind and and coal power. Im not sure about hydro stations given Kenya's recent weather patterns.

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
I am not very happy with wind power in Kenya....wind is rather expensive...the will be selling us the power @ sh. 10 for the next 20 years. in the coal powered economies..power gets to the consumer @ equivalent of sh. 3 to 5. geothermal is the best and most reliable alternative for Kenya. Also, coal should be exploited in Machakos for powers...Lets forget this green talk...that is for Industrialized countries which also started dirty..
I support you on this one. Kenya has the potential to produce 10,000 Mw from geothermal sources. Though we need cheap power to keep costs down especially in the industrial sector.

·
ilete baraka kwetu
332 Posts
There was a proposal for opting for nuclear power in kenya, how far has it gone?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
There are a number of projects, mainly geothermal, thermal, wind and and coal power. Im not sure about hydro stations given Kenya's recent weather patterns.
that is true but it takes a minimum of 7 yrs even with ready financing to put up a fully function geothermal power station. its not as easy as it sounds

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
I think the government should concetrate on cheapear and environment friendly alternatives that Kenya has on her disposal.Wind and Geothermal.I believe Geo-thermal is cheaper to implement,no?

Geothermal power: Kenya's potential and prospects

Geothermal power to provide 2200mw by 2020

·
Registered
388 Posts
that is true but it takes a minimum of 7 yrs even with ready financing to put up a fully function geothermal power station. its not as easy as it sounds

However, the good thing about geothermal energy is that it's a renewable and reliable source, and we have more than enough to meet our demand.

1 - 20 of 561 Posts