Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Liverpool, England.
12,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pictures from Lake Vyrnwy - the main source of Liverpool's water supply:

The lake is half way between Bala and Welshpool and the journey from Bala takes you over about 13 miles of single track roads through amazingly desolate mountain scenery.

This is the dam, constructed in the 1880s to form Lake Vyrnwy, which encloses some 13,000 million gallons of water. The lake is now the responsibility of Severn Trent Water but the water still runs to Liverpool.

Prior to the construction of the lake, Liverpool's water supply either came from wells within the city or the reserviour at Rivington Pike north of Manchester. When it was first completed, it was the largest man made lake in Europe but an equally massive construction was the 68 mile Vyrnwy aqueduct which takes water from the lake to Liverpool. This is mostly underground but has some surface features such as the water tower at Norton in Runcorn.

There is a 15 mile perimeter road round the lake which is ideal for walking or cycling as there is very little traffic. This continues over the crest of the dam and, when the lake is full, water pours over the face of the dam through the arches beneath the road.

This amazing Gothic straining tower is one of the main features of the lake. It is redundant nowadays as water filtration is carried out through filter beds but in the old days would have been the main intake tower and incorporated a straining mesh to stop any flotsam on the surface of the lake getting into the water supply. The tower is about 200' tall with half under water.

The sculpture park beneath the dam in Llanwddyn is well worth a visit. The timber sculptures are by artists from all over the world such as this Russian Mother Earth. The village was reconstructed by Liverpool Corporation;the original having been flooded by the lake. When the lake is at low levels, the remains of the old village can still be seen.

In the 60s, Liverpool also flooded the village of Capel Celyn on the other side of Bala to create an additional water supply. The villagers were non too pleased as the first they heard about it was in the Daily Post. The repercussions of this insensitive development were one of the main reasons for the founding of Plaid Cymru and why relations between Liverpool and North Wales are strained to this day.

Photo taken from our balcony in the Vyrnwy hotel. This was built for the aldermen and engineers from Liverpool Corporation when the reservoir was being constructed. Lovely place but not too cheap.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Great photos Martin. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen photos of the resorvoir before. It's fascinating the effort that was put into the appearance of the dam and other structure compared to the plain concrete we see on dams these days.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Martin, super photos of a beautiful area of Wales.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Indeed. Thanks for posting them, Martin. Looking at your pictures has made me feel nostalgic. I had forgotten how attractive it was down there. There's a road that goes from Lake Vyrnwy to Llangollen that I remember as being a particularly attractive route - almost deserted, too.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Looks like your spellchecker's fucked

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ye that was pretty much it, Llanwddyn (small village largely destroyed) always gets forgotton at least more so than Celyn.

Fron in this context means 'nearly' mutated from 'bron'. Its one of those words you'll see alot of in names of places etc, has quite a few colloquial (fucking spellchecker again see!!) uses.

Da iawn, nic try, more welsh on this forum than that hwntw dominated welsh forum.

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,753 Posts
Ye that was pretty much it, Llanwddyn (small village largely destroyed) always gets forgotton at least more so than Celyn.

Fron in this context means 'nearly' mutated from 'bron'. Its one of those words you'll see alot of in names of places etc, has quite a few colloquial (fucking spellchecker again see!!) uses.

Da iawn, nic try, more welsh on this forum than that hwntw dominated welsh forum.
ah cheers :cheers:

picked up a bit over the years, started off with a m8 of mine telling me the ultimate chat up line for a welsh girl - something along the lines of caead dy ceg mochin budr (?)

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
picked up a bit over the years, started off with a m8 of mine telling me the ultimate chat up line for a welsh girl - something along the lines of caead dy ceg mochin budr (?)
"Shut your mouth, dirty pig." :lol:

Anyway, it should be "caea dy geg (di), mochyn budr". "Caead" is the adjective for "shut".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts