Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the lakefront Metra tracks from Adams (Art Institute) clear down to Hyde Park....

• which areas are there firm plans to cover over?

• which areas has there been discussions about covering?

• which areas (all the way up to "ALL") should be covered?

• by the middle of this century, which areas do you think will be covered?

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Looking at the lakefront Metra tracks from Adams (Art Institute) clear down to Hyde Park....

• which areas are there firm plans to cover over?
None.

• which areas has there been discussions about covering?
Adams down to Roosevelt, discussed by the city to be covered with parkland.
Roosevelt to 14th - Central Station keeps assuring us it will be covered eventually with parkland.
14th to 18th - discussed by the Central Station folks in the original plans - included parkland and residential towers on air-rights. IIRC, ErmDiego said recently that this phase has been scaled back drastically due to cost.
Stevenson to 31st - will be covered at least partially for Olympic Village.
• which areas (all the way up to "ALL") should be covered?
Where it makes sense.. i.e. the tracks adjacent to parks on the inland side should be covered. Also, major streets that terminate before the tracks ought to get wide bridges to connect to the lakefront.

Lake Meadows Park
The block south of Oakwood Blvd overpass
Tracks next to Lake Park Crescent
Roadway-width pedestrian overpasses every 1/4 mile, replacing all existing overpasses and adding new ones where none exist

• by the middle of this century, which areas do you think will be covered?
At least half of the Grant Park sections, as well as the Roosevelt-14th Central Station section, plus the Olympic Village section if we DO get the Olympics. I'm not holding my breath for the project if we don't. Beyond that, perhaps some pedestrian overpasses will be rebuilt, but nothing else.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wish they would at least cover Jackson to Balbo. The areas around Congress Street especially. That's such an awesome area with the plaza near Michigan and then the double roadway leading straight to Buckingham Fountain.

I don't like how you have to walk on the sidewalk of the street to cross those ugly tracks - it'd be really cool to have it all parkland from Michigan straight over to Buckingham (I'm not even going to mention how much I HATE Columbus - at least repave that thing or add bricks).

Other than that I don't think the areas around the Art Institute or from Balbo to Roosevelt will be covered anytime soon. They're not as directly in the way as some other parts.

I do agree that covering from Roosevelt to 14th would make a lot of sense. It's not very wide, and it would help draw together the Museum Campus and Central Station. Museum Campus is still kinda splintered off from the rest of the city by those damn tracks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts