SkyscraperCity Forum banner

LAKEVIEW APARTMENTS | 6L, 44 Apts | 28-34 Killarney Street, Takapuna | Completed

14K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Chro_matic 
#1 ·
Lakeview Apartments

Set on the shores of Lake Pupuke in the central Takapuna with spectacular views over the lake and to the sparkling Hauraki Gulf beyond.

The total of this whole premium residence consists of 40 luxury two or three bedroom apartments and 4 exclusive penthouses

See less See more
#5 ·
This is great.

It will be a matter of time before all those properties next and behind it are replace with similar buildings as this has cracked the egg so to speak.

I don't understand why there is such resistance to buildings of this scale and quality in most other places which have the amenity and economic environment to support it like St Heliers etc. Hopefully this project changes a few mindsets.

#6 ·
Killarney St has cried out for more of this for decades.

Fantastic location 360 degree views. Walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants. Good private and public transport options. 10 minutes walk to beach.

Does anyone know what's going up on the old fire station site?

#8 ·
Pretty expensive apartments - normal for the area?

Type C1
203/34 Killarney Street
Price: $1,181,000
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Approx. 90m2 (including 10m2 balcony)

Type A
301/34 Killarney Street
Price:$2,009,000
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Approx. 127m2 (including 11m2 balcony)

Type D1
107/34 Killarney Street
Price:$992,000
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Approx. 81m2 (including 7m2 balcony)

#9 ·
This is the kind of scale that I think Auckland would benefit from - high rises are fun to speculate over but ultimately few and far between. The design is nothing earth shattering, but solid looking, attractive blocks like this between 4 and 6 storeys will go a long way to alleviating the housing shortage and increasing public acceptance of intensification.

Then again, those prices are way up there. Maybe a boom in this style of apartments will increase supply enough to depress prices. It would seem Takapuna is ripe for this kind of development.

#10 ·
They are expensive, but they're what I would expect from that location in this market. Within a K of this are many of the most expensive streets and homes in New Zealand; it is a very desirable area. Although you can't see it in the pics above, there is a lot of intensive housing dotted amongst the stand-alone villas (although usually only 3-4 stories until now). Takapuna will slowly intensify as developers buy up the non-heritage homes. Remember that most of the people who own homes in this area won't want to sell, so the speed is limited by that.

Very happy with the look of this development. Nice to see that more and more buildings of this standard being commissioned.

On a side not, a bit of a waffle - Many people (here particularly) are critical of the late-middle-aged group being anti-development, however most that I know would love to live in places like this. My parents, for example, have a large villa with gardens that they're sick of caring for, however the vast majority of apartments being built are too small for them to consider the move. They'd like three bedrooms plus a study, carpark, and large living rooms, which is pretty standard for a house, but sounds huge for the apartments we're used to in New Zealand. You may say that's too big for just a couple, but it's not that unreasonable - that's what they (and the rest of their demographic) are living in at the moment. And for some reason buying an apartment of that size costs the same, if not more than a stand alone home of the same size. So they won't move, even though they'd like the "lock-up-and-leave" lifestyle. I just hope that there are more and more of these built, so the price of them becomes more reasonable - if you want people to give up their land for something smaller/denser, you have to expect that they'll want to get some cash out of what they've been paying a mortgage on their whole lives.

#13 ·
Definitely agree with you there. I don't think the Auckland apartment market is mature enough yet to provide those options for people. You either have the choice of overpriced apartments like the Lakeview/St Marks and on the other end there's the option of taking up one of the Conrad offerings (no thanks) or similar dubious projects in the CBD area which aren't exactly affordable either. There's very little on offer in the middle bracket but it's changing very slowly.

#11 ·
It looks to be $12K - $15k a square metre which is pretty standard and what's required to make these projects feasible. This was a notified resource consent that had plenty of opposition (from people who's property values have hugely increased by the rezoning that allowed it) and involved amalgamating four sites. So not easy to replicate sadly as it's perfect place for this type of development. Who's documenting the project?

#12 ·
Imagine we'll hear a lot more about Killarney St in future. The old fire station site was sold recently and that's a decent size site right on the edge of the park (bottom right of second image).

Something needs to be done about the road though. I often use it when riding to work to avoid Anzac St and it's narrow, especially with cars parked on one side. Could do with some cycle lanes - which would probably require widening

#14 ·
100% - it's narrow enough on the sections without cars, and super narrow when there are ones parked. And with the school, the park, and the lake around, it's a perfect street to put in cycle lanes. Should be easy to replace the parking with cycle lanes - there's plenty of parking in the vicinity (most homes there have off-street options, there are paid lots near the Bruce Mason, small lot in the park, a large lot down the other end at Shore City), so removal shouldn't heavily impact anyone, but could provide safety for the children.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.