SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amu Power Coal Plant

Amu Power Company, a consortium bringing together firms like Gulf Energy and Centum Investment, said it had signed the deal with Power Construction Corporation of China.
Construction of the 981.5 megawatt plant is expected to start on September 30 and will take 21 months to produce electricity at 7.52 dollar cents per kilowatt hour, almost a third of the price for diesel-fired plants.

The consortium has recently sought to win over Lamu leadership, amid claims by civil society activists that the coal project would damage the fragile ecosystem.

Reactions: KaiserSoze

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I'm surprised no started a thread for such a large project.

Reactions: KenyaMerican

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
^^ Other than AMU Power (a GoK initiative), anyone else sponsoring the local outreach programs? I think private investors would make a fortune in that area. Powering individual homes is just the tip of the iceberg, providing power for local industries is a great initiative that will also bring business & employment opportunities to the area.

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Construction of Lamu coal fired power plant slated for December

Daily Nation

Construction work at the Amu Power Limited coal power plant in Manda Bay, Lamu, will start in early December 2015.

The company expects to fulfill all regulatory requirements by November 30, when it expects to get a go-ahead from the National Environmental Management Authority (Nema) to commence the project.

Currently, the company is working with the county government and the National Land Commission (NLC) to come up with a resettlement plan for the people in the project area and that has delayed submission of the environment impact assessment report to Nema.

NLC Director of Valuation Salome Munubi said the commission was proposing that the residents be given separate land by the county for resettlement.

“If the county can avail land, that would be the best option but if it will not be possible, we will consider monetary compensation,” she said in Nairobi on Friday.

Steering, technical and community committees have been set up to identify those eligible for compensation, through a baseline survey that has not yet been done.
Mr Gandhi, however, sought to assure residents that the Lamu power plan would use clean technology to recycle up to 90 per cent of the expected wastes.

The plant will have the ability to reduce sulphur emissions by converting the gas to gypsum for making wall boards and will convert fly-ash into asphalt to be used as a binder during road construction.

Reactions: Aaraldi

·
Registered
641 Posts
From The Business Daily

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...nuary/-/539546/2952904/-/qatdfbz/-/index.html

Building of Lamu coal plant pushed to January

By BD REPORTER

Posted Wednesday, November 11 2015 at 19:45

The delayed construction of a 1,000-megawatt coal-fired power plant in Lamu is expected to start early next year.

Centum, which is part of the consortium owning the plant, said the contractor would move to the site early next year as the National Land Commission prepares to relocate squatters and private investors from 869 acres of public land that will host the plant.

Chief executive James Mworia said the consortium, known as Amu Power, expects to finalise debt financing agreements for the project with China’s ICBC and South Africa’s Standard Bank by early 2016.

Amu Power chief financial officer Joe Mutugu said: “We have the construction contract more or less finalised. They are ready to roll.

“We expect to begin work on site in December, and the contractor to move in from January.”

The construction of the plant in Lamu was set to start at the end of this month and be completed in June 2017.

Amu Power earlier said it would start construction once the government completes the resettlement.

The coal plant project is estimated to cost Sh210 billion ($2 billion) and its electricity will be priced in the same range as geothermal energy at 7.52 US cents (Sh7.9) per unit — almost a third of what diesel-fired plants charge.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Swazuri approves setting up of Sh180bn plant

The National Land Commission has granted permission for the establishment of Sh180 billion Amu Power plant in Lamu.

Amu Power, a consortium of Gulf Energy and Centum Investment, intends to set up the power plant in Kwasasi, Hindi.

Speaking to the press in Lamu on Monday, NLC chair Muhammad Swazuri said the investor had met all the requirements.

Once complete, the project is expected to generate 981.5 megawatts of electricity.

There have been constant disputes between the Lamu government and residents over who owns the 985 acres to be used for the project.

The concerned landowners have also insisted for payment for the acquired lands before the project kicks off.

“It's improper for the investor to be delayed.They have done their part and its only logical that they obtain the land rights and carry on with business,” Swazuri said.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/05/25/swazuri-approves-setting-up-of-sh180bn-plant_c1356770

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Standard Bank to finance Centum’s Sh200bn coal plant

South Africa’s Standard Bank has signed a deal to finance a $2 billion (Sh200 billion) Centum Investment-backed coal plant in Lamu.

The Johannesburg-based lender says it has teamed up with its parent firm, Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd (ICBC), to fund the project which is backed by a consortium of local firms under the investment vehicle Amu Power Company.

“Standard Bank and ICBC have concluded debt financing agreements with a consortium of Kenyan investors for the building of the 1,000-megawatt Amu coal-fired power plant,” Standard Bank said in its latest annual report.

Amu’s executives confirmed that the two institutions are funding the project but declined to reveal the loan size.

The company had, however, previously said it was seeking to raise a total of $1.5 billion (Sh150 billion) in debt.

It had already secured $1.2 billion (Sh120 billion) from ICBC, indicating that the Chinese multinational and its South African subsidiary have agreed to provide a further $300 million (Sh30 billion) jointly.

Amu’s shareholders are to provide the remaining $500 million (Sh50 billion) as equity financing.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...-plant/-/539550/3298816/-/yssjfk/-/index.html

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
PowerChina to build Kenya coal-fired power plant

Power Construction Corporation of China (PowerChina) is set to build a coal-fired power plant in Kenya after signing a contract this week.

Construction is planned to begin in September on the 981.5 MW plant, which will be located on the island of Lamu. Fuel will initially be imported from South Africa and is planned to later switch to local sources.

The $2bn project is being undertaken by Amu Power Company, a consortium that includes Gulf Energy and Centum Investment.

Financing is being provided by the Industrial Commercial Bank of China and the African Development Bank.

The project is planned to be completed in 21 months and is expected to produce electricity at $07.52/kWh.
http://www.powerengineeringint.com/...ny-to-build-kenya-coal-fired-power-plant.html

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
981MW will be substantial, i bet it can lit up a huge portion of all coast. Funny how a 100MW in Moi era was overwhelming power

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
A 21 month build schedule for a power plant of this magnitude is beyond aggressive. However, given the construction track record of Chinese construction companies in Kenya, it may be realistic.

Soooo, we have the Lamu port construction starting up, this power plant kicking off early next year, and the area roads being upgraded to bitumen standards. Glad to see infrastructure in this region finally catching up. Expect an increase in economic and social development which hopefully will decrease poverty and insecurity, in this region.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As much as i feel using coal power is moving major steps backwards, because renewable power sources are the future. If we just build just this ONE coal power plant - i see no harm done, I GET IT !! we need cheap power NOW!! -- even with the pollution it will create, i can live with that - it will be very very unfortunate to see other plans for other coal power plants coming up anywhere else in the country -

But as we are doing this lets invest more of the $s into geothermal - that's the future.

my 2¢s

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
As much as i feel using coal power is moving major steps backwards, because renewable power sources are the future. If we just build just this ONE coal power plant - i see no harm done, I GET IT !! we need cheap power NOW!! -- even with the pollution it will create, i can live with that - it will be very very unfortunate to see other plans for other coal power plants coming up anywhere else in the country -

But as we are doing this lets invest more of the $s into geothermal - that's the future.

my 2¢s
How much solar power could be generated from a solar power plant built using this money? They could build a solar farm in the same area actually, so why are they going for a worse alternative?

·
Registered
119 Posts
How much solar power could be generated from a solar power plant built using this money? They could build a solar farm in the same area actually, so why are they going for a worse alternative?
cause coal power is very cheap for the end user. they wanna make maximum profit.

Reactions: felakuti1

·
Registered
11,494 Posts

my 2¢s
Expect another one in Kitui.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I am bit jittery and concerned on the environment impact. I hope they do everything possible to minimize the impact of the beautiful lamu island. When I think Lamu I see endless white beaches, exotic islands, mangrove forests, wildlife and untouched culture. Considering the pipeline will be landing here and new upsurge of population expected I dunno.

Anyway, Centum is planning to build a new city in Vipingo? Anyone with the info?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am bit jittery and concerned on the environment impact. I hope they do everything possible to minimize the impact of the beautiful lamu island. When I think Lamu I see endless white beaches, exotic islands, mangrove forests, wildlife and untouched culture. Considering the pipeline will be landing here and new upsurge of population expected I dunno.
when you put like that - Man! this thing just looks like a horrible prospect if any accident/disaster were to happen.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Expect another one in Kitui.
I thought kitui coal mines were prepping to fuel the lamu power station ? From what i have read - the lamu power station will get most of its coal initially from SA and then wean off that for the Kitui coal ... anyone have the facts ?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I thought kitui coal mines were prepping to fuel the lamu power station ? From what i have read - the lamu power station will get most of its coal initially from SA and then wean off that for the Kitui coal ... anyone have the facts ?
^^Correct as far as the source of coal for the Lamu plant. However, the most efficient way of producing electricity is by building the plant close to the source of the fuel, e.g. geothermal in seismically active locations. Since Kitui contains exploitable coal reserves, it makes sense to place a larger coal plant here. Additionally, given its proximity to the Nairobi Metro, and the SGR (think future industrial and railway electric power scaling), building a plant in Kitui is a no-brainer. The only thing they may have to make investments in is a source of water which is necessary to cool the reactor, but Athi River is close enough for that purpose...

1 - 20 of 279 Posts