Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Application number
C/02232/08/FUL
Date application received
17/04/2008
Date application registered
15/05/2008
Date application decided

Vesey Street, Lancaster Street, St Chads Queensway, Land Bounded by (car park), City Centre, Birmingham,
Proposal
21 storey building, mixed use, student accomodation, business cafes/restaurant/hot food take away, bars, parking, landscape
Status
Under consideration

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Cheers feltip, this actually looks good I think, it's certainly not a midget. Not sure about the cladding, but the multi-coloured glass looks pretty cool. And it has a biodiversity roof :)happy: for T-man).

·
3,635 Posts
Thanks Feltip. This one needed its own thread. Surely a height can be calculated using the AOD figure of 180.26m. Something like 56m - 58m I guess.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Thanks feltip.

I have warmed to it a little more - there is some thought in the design, but I just don't feel it is landmark/tall/statement enough.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Not to bad. 20m taller would've been better in this location. Limits what we'll get at the fire station now I would think. Cant have a mega tall structure with half a dozen 50-60m blocks can we.

·
15,713 Posts
i will be writting a letter for this.... not impressed at all for this location... a totally wasted opportunity....

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,512 Posts
Its a bit meh, isn't it. Not exactly gateway landmark material.

If you don't like it make sure you tell the council.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
i will be writting a letter for this.... not impressed at all for this location... a totally wasted opportunity....
especially when you consider whats up the road from it. This could become a canyon. With this it'll become nothing more then the norm and definately not a gateway.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks feltip.

I have warmed to it a little more - there is some thought in the design, but I just don't feel it is landmark/tall/statement enough.
Agreed 100%, whilst the design itself has grown on me, for this location, it's wrong wrong wrong.

No disrespect to the designers, I wouldn't mind seeing this built at all, just not here. Key gateway location, and a proposal that does not shout 'welcome to Brum' loud enough IMO.

·
15,713 Posts
i would have no issue if this was building built, say at bristol street near opal court for example, or most other parts of the city centre, but in line with what everyone else has said... NOT HERE!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Woody i agree with what your saying. This is a total wasted opportunity if this was built as well. How can we show our disapproval of this tower? I also agree with FM. This would limit the height of a potential tower at the Fire station site as i tall there would look out of place with such a small (ish) tower over the road!

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Now. If it was twice as tall that would be signficantly better but maybe its market conditions for the reason why they've only gone 21 storeys.

Its a great little tower, but thats the problem. Its little and I like to think of myself as not so much a height person, but please let common sense prevail dutton.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm also not liking the other aspect of the development. The low rise block behind the tower just looks bland and rushed. Not here please!

1 - 20 of 257 Posts