Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Historic capital of Lancashire (a title now stolen by a more modern city ;) )

Skyline

The castle

Ashton Memorial (gorgeous building, and the view from the top is amazing)

Station

The Millenium Bridge over the Lune... somewhat less impressive than its counterparts

Street scene

Lancaster Canal

Riverside apartments

In the snow

Ashton Memorial again

Riverside at night

:)

Its a great little city. The problem is, the weather is usually so harsh that it makes it look dull.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
sjwmoore said:
somewhere ive never got round to visiting, but it looks worth it- may do a trip soon
It's not. I was brought up in Lancashire, and took a girlfriend for a day trip to Lancaster once. Thought (Mistakenly) it was a nice old historic town filled with ancient stuff like York. It's not. It's just a typical Lancashire mill town, really, with about one street of interest and (When we went) a heap of derelict mills. Forget about towns in Lancashire - they're all utterly miserable, apart from Preston, which is not quite as utterly miserable, but close. Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley, Nelson, Colne - Ugh, all of them are foul. The countryside around the Trough of Bowland is worth visiting. Just give the towns a miss. There's nothing to see. Move along.

If you detect a slight negativity about Lancashire, it's because my parents moved up there from London when I was 5 and the people up there are a bunch of unfriendly inbreds who pretty much didn't really accept us because we weren't from "Oop Norf". Pah, friendly up north. Flapdoodle. Just as cretinious as the rest of the country, except they've been told so much that people Ooop Norf are friendly they actually believe it.

The most bizarre thing is that where I lived there wasn't a local bookshop. If I wanted to buy a book I had to drive 30 miles to Manchester or 20 miles to Preston. Learning to drive was very important. It was a hellhole.

Nice countryside though. They should demolish the towns and leave it all to go back to nature.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Great pics, love the property's in the forground of the second pic, top quality and look great with stone walls and some bang & olufsen.

·
Urban Designer
1,159 Posts
Great pictures. Very attractive city. I totally believe that northern cities are the best in the country. But thats a secret its probably best the southerners dont know.

·
Registered
818 Posts
MartinN said:
It must have changed a lot in ten years. Last time I was there it was wet, derelict and miserable. Reminded me a bit of Rugby. A friend of mine did a work placement there for a year and got so bored he moved to Manchester and commuted up there every day.

I'm sure some bits are very nice. However, it's small, Northern, and depressing. :runaway:
You're entitled to your opinion- I can see what you mean about Northern towns but you can't tar them all with the same brush! There are some depressing towns in Lancashire but I don't think Lancaster is in the same bracket.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
MartinN said:
Not where I live, it isn't.
Well, not all of Barnsley or Lancaster is either.

The impression you get when you go into the centre of Cov is that it's small, depressing, and in the West Midlands.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
di Livio said:
Well, not all of Barnsley or Lancaster is either.

The impression you get when you go into the centre of Cov is that it's small, depressing, and in the West Midlands.
The centre of Cov was too small when they planned it during the war.

I'm afraid they can't do anything about the West Midlands, although I wish they could. A bit of beach or a river would do. I'm hoping global warming kicks in it becomes a coastal town. I'm using as many CFCs as possible to help.

Barnsley's an absolute dump. One of the most horrible places I've ever been to.

·

I lived in one of the houses in that pic when I was at university.

It used to be a nice walk to the Ashton Memorial - in the top left hand corner of the pic.

Couldn't live there permanently though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts