Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you guys are familiar with business of Land Banking, but it's a type of business I am in.

So, basic premise is to look for land in the path of development, and buy it before it's going gangbusters.

For example, many land banking companies based out of Calgary have made a killing lately as they saw the inflation coming with the rise of oil and gas prices, and the CNRL (and others) oil sands projects getting approval.

I'm from Calgary, and I can't help but say to myself "how does a 1 million population city compare to Vancouver and Toronto for housing prices"? And then I start to say.....I think people who moved here will cash out, sell the house that has doubled in value, move back to Saskatchewan, and buy a nice house, get a good job, have lower cost of living, (and car insurance!), and pocket 100K cash into their jeans.

This makes me wonder about buying land in Saskatoon.
Based on the census data posted here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=437632&highlight=canada+census

It sure doesn't look like saskatoon is "coming on strong". Neither Regina.

However I can't help but notice all the advertising Saskatchewan is doing to promote their province as a great, cost effective, place to do business with a willing labour force.

So, are we actually seeing the beggining of Saskatchewan (particularily Saskatoon and maybe Regina) growth surge fuelled largely by alberta businesses moving to saskatchewan which create the jobs, which draws the people home?

(To be fair, one might ask themselves, why would an Alberta Based business move to Saskatchewan, when it could just move to a sattellite town around calgary/edmonton/red deer where it's more affordable. I think maybe because labour will still be tough to find in small populations...even if prices are lower...)

Thoughts anyone?

Best Regards,

Ryan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm...good question, and I don't have a direct answer as of yet, except maybe that the Alberta companies might want to cash in on the people outside of Alberta, who don't have jobs and the money to move here, so they're moving to them...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts