SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is official, I tried to be positive and see the action TPLF in a positive manner for long but this report make me furious to the max. what is going on people, are we witnessing the coming back of the emperor time where norther highlanders in the form of "nefetenga" go to the south to in slave the locals and own their lands.

I suggest you to read the full report but here is some to give you the idea.

BOX E: ThE TIgRAY LAND INVESTMENT
One of the forgotten aspects of land investment is the preferential treatment that Tigrayans seem to get when it comes to land investment. The governing party, the EPRDF is made up of representatives largely from the Tigray region. When the Derg fell in 1991, the Tigray Peoples’s Liberation Front (TPLF) took control, forming the EPRDF and setting the stage for preferential treatment of the TPLF cadres and other Tigrayan elites ever since. It is widely perceived that the Tigray receive beneficial treatment in relation to investment, are given land freely, and receive preferential access to credit. All but one of the domestic investors that we visited were from the Tigray region, and several spoke of the ease of acquiring land and of securing credit. One regional government official in Gambella estimated that 75 percent of the domestic investors in Gambella were from Tigray. Many of these Tigray investors seem to have limited, if any, farming experience. Many of them seemed to be engaged primarily in land clearing and charcoal production activities, while others were farther along in production. There is also a perception that Tigrayans are being given land across the lowlands in order to crowd out indigenous populations, to build EPRDF support in the rural areas and eventually dominate regional government offices. In many of the regional government offices that we visited in the lowlands, Tigrayans held most of the positions. In those regions most of the businesses are owned by the Tigrayans (and other Highlanders to a lesser degree),
and almost all of the domestic agricultural investment lands are held by the Tigrayans.
http://media.oaklandinstitute.org/sites/oaklandinstitute.org/files/OI_Ethiopa_Land_Investment_report.pdf

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am more and more convinced there are many in the west who want us to stay poor and weak. They have been making $$$BILLIONS$$$ in the name of the poor (hence the name "lords of poverty") and are increasingly threatened by any economic progress.

The land Ethiopia is giving away to investors is in the lowlands, unpopulated, and infested with malaria. It is unsuitable for small scale agriculture and as a result, the land has been idle for thousands of years.

In contrast, the land used for flowers production (most of it in the outskirts of Addis) is exclusively in the highlands that used to be owned by small scale farmers who mostly produced teff. Highland is where majority of the population lives and the heart of Ethiopian agriculture lies. None of these "concerned organizations" made noise back then, WHY? because the origin of the investors in the flowers industry is from Europe unlike the lowland area where it is dominated by local, Indians and Arabs.

This is what Alamoudi said during visit to his site - "mikegnoch nachew. adgen mayet ayfeligum"

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When i was in ethiopia in september before the devaluation of birr this tigrayan delala man was saying he want $200,000 dollar b/se he want to go the US and make some business and said he will give the best black market exchange which was 14.07 that time but he will give 14.10 .so that time i had $2000 dollars and cash it with him after two weeks the devaluation happen which became to 16.37 .so because this guy is from the ruling tigrayan elite and has an info already make at least $400,000 ethiopian birr easily.
This kind of things are very common in ethiopia this days otherwise the way the country grow we could have seen a much better ethiopia .But since most of the wealth is handled by the ruling tigrayan elites we can't see the impact that much .Sometimes its very frustrating :bash:

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even though I hate ethnicity. I think such kind of news is putting Tigrayns in a difficult and more dangerous course. I don't see any reason why other Ethiopian not develop hater towards this group. I am saddened by the fact that even though life is difficult as it is for these people they have to deal with this stupid discrimination.

I think this nation is a dangerous course for ethnic violence unless sth is done about it.

The sad part, I was defending this crime gov't almost in most discussion form, I kind of feel ashamed now.

This mafia group need to go, no good news will make me feel better. now is time to support to look for a better organized with good vision and support it to trample the friend of ghadaffii.

To my fellow tigrayns my advice, stop associating yourself with such act because I assure you this ain't joking or sill matter, look to every Ethiopian revolution land ownership is just the most significant issue that push the ones almighty to their graves. and unlike old times every participation in such act could be documented easily with today's technology and the justices to this act could be done very easily.

"yemaynega meselawote.........." endayhonebachewo negeru

·
Banned
657 Posts
You are simply sucking a garbage cooked by Obang Metho....:lol:

Before you jump to conclusion try to investigate the source carefuly.

Publisher: The Oakland Institute is a policy think tank dedicated to advancing public participation and fair debate on critical social, economic, and environmental issues. The SMNE is a non-political and non-violent social justice movement of diverse Ethiopians, that seeks to unite the many Ethiopian ethnic groups into a solidarity movement that stands together to call the current Ethiopian government to account for myriad allegations of human rights violations.

Now that country is a criminal cause it's trying to introduce some sort of a mechanized agriculture. Come on guys, open your eyes...the cycle of a 3000 years old agriculture system need to be broken. For that, a generation (we) need to suffer. India, China or Eskimo....I don't care & I don't give a shit, someone need to kick our lazy azz and show us how to do it. Thechnology transfer is more than farming itself - The Chinese and Indians, at least, are showing us while the West is trying to through mud at us.

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are simply sucking a garbage cooked by Obang Metho....:lol:

Before you jump to conclusion try to investigate the source carefuly.

Publisher: The Oakland Institute is a policy think tank dedicated to advancing public participation and fair debate on critical social, economic, and environmental issues. The SMNE is a non-political and non-violent social justice movement of diverse Ethiopians, that seeks to unite the many Ethiopian ethnic groups into a solidarity movement that stands together to call the current Ethiopian government to account for myriad allegations of human rights violations.

Now that country is a criminal cause it's trying to introduce some sort of a mechanized agriculture. Come on guys, open your eyes...the cycle of a 3000 years old agriculture system need to be broken. For that, a generation (we) need to suffer. India, China or Eskimo....I don't care & I don't give a shit, someone need to kick our lazy azz and show us how to do it. Thechnology transfer is more than farming itself - The Chinese and Indians, at least, are showing us while the West is trying to through mud at us.
Why you walk around the issue, if you can, just denay or answear why 75% of domestic land grapers are from tigrayas and are getting preferential treatement, if you can not just shut up!

BTW Personally I don't oppose the concept of leasing arable land to foreign investor, as far as they are putting the required technology and money and treating the workers with fair wages. my oppostion goes to the ethinic based colonization that is promoted by TPLF, which will put for sure to an ethinic violence for long time to come.

about the author, based on the biograph you put forward, i don't have any reason to question their motive because the cause is Nobel, sorry lad!

The Oakland Institute is a policy think tank dedicated to advancing public participation and fair debate on critical social, economic, and environmental issues. The SMNE is a non-political and non-violent social justice movement of diverse Ethiopians, that seeks to unite the many Ethiopian ethnic groups into a solidarity movement that stands together to call the current Ethiopian government to account for myriad allegations of human rights violations.

·
Registered
988 Posts
These has been going on for 20 years now, nothing new. Weyane is systmaticaly controling the country and there is no question Tigrains are benefiting from these. They are all over the place and decision makers. They control the military, goverment, and economy.

Tebelo yalekelet neger new

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These has been going on for 20 years now, nothing new. Weyane is systmaticaly controling the country and there is no question Tigrains are benefiting from these. They are all over the place and decision makers. They control the military, goverment, and economy.

Tebelo yalekelet neger new
My question is as a societ where the limit of tolerance for injustice? When we live in western country we cry for every little irrelevant discrimination, but back home it is ok to be a third citizen in a land we all born.

I am sick and tired of taking injustice because it is the way it is! enough is enough, No more peace for those benefiting from the pain of the mass. I say even terroism targeting those commiting this crime is justificable under this much injustice.

Lets bend history towards more equal society.

If we accept this much injustice in the 21st C because it is the way it is. we go to human history record being the morst society to leave on this planet, enough is enough!:eek:hno::eek:hno:,

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
TPLF and Tigray should have went their own way along with the Ogaden and Eritrea.

It would have done the country good to have Tigray leave and the rest of us to build a United Ethiopian "ethnic or regional" republics.

What has ethiopia even gained from Tigray? Good riddence I say. In fact all political units should be voluntary and people from tplf and other clowns dont have to impede on peoples god given freedoms.

What good does the ethiopian gov. do anyways. We would be better off with no government.

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW.....I am overwhelm with shock :eek:hno:
wow me too I am shocked when i read this, they r greedy bastard they don't deserve to be Ethiopian at all!

One regional government official in Gambella estimated that 75 percent of the domestic investors in Gambella were from Tigray.

·
Wuha Lemate
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they choose to go to for their Independence, I say "mengedun cherke yargelachewo".

If not and decide to continue with their course, they have to know their is always a consequence for greedy theft. I say targeting those greedy people, their family and their wealthy is simply the justice of the mass!

·
Registered
542 Posts
i don't understand a thing what they said, but these sisters looks like in business,
doesn't matter what part of the country is as long as there is development :cheers:

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
Tigrayans do have preferential access, however the extent of it is overblown IMO. It used to be the case overwhelmingly in the 90s, but there has been a change. Right now, regardless of your ethnicity, being an EPRDF supporter is what makes the difference. But even then, even with no association with the government, you can still run your business.

·
Resident Guru
3,140 Posts
Tigrayans do have preferential access, however the extent of it is overblown IMO. It used to be the case overwhelmingly in the 90s, but there has been a change. Right now, regardless of your ethnicity, being an EPRDF supporter is what makes the difference. But even then, even with no association with the government, you can still run your business.
Come on now, let's not downplay it either. Whereas in the past, being anything else meant you couldn't get anything done, now it just means you have to kiss some ass and be sure not to get too big or influential. If any project you work on so happens to be spark the interest of the privileged, you better be willing to allow some sort of a partnership or have a squeaky clean record.

You can get far by being a EPDRF member and fondling some TPLF tits, but you will never be allowed to be too successful so as to endanger any privileged competition or stand in any way against the interests of the political establishment if you don't also belong to TPLF. Believe you me, there are more powerful men than Meles. Perhaps not individually.

If you are naive as to try and take the path of political neutrality, good luck! You better say you're pente or something. Even that doesn't guarantee you assurance against economic persecution. I have a distant uncle who knows first hand. He gets by with that, but barely. He's spent enough nights in jail cells and enough money on court costs and lawyers. But, yeah, technically, you can get by, as he has. But it ain't no cakewalk. You'll have a lot working against you.

But hey, open up a small mom and pops shop or work on a small private farm and also join EPDRF. No one will mess with you. But start drinking the suwa of unbridled success while you're not part of the political and ethnic elite, and you'll start to see just how many problems you can get yourself into.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,835 Posts
You can get far by being a EPDRF member and fondling some TPLF tits, but you will never be allowed to be too successful so as to endanger any privileged competition or stand in any way against the interests of the political establishment if you don't also belong to TPLF. Believe you me, there are more powerful men than Meles. Perhaps not individually.
And who would they be?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts