SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some futuristic (and probably very unlikely) ideas in Israel, Gaza and Egypt from a 2004 conference of the Center for Macro Projects and Diplomacy (Roger Willams Univ.).

"A basic strategy for all designs is to create, through various kinds of land reclamation, business development, creation of employment opportunity for workers, reducing unemployment, raising per capita income, increasing security and an improved standard of living for the people of the region.

These schemes assume the relocation of Israelis from within the Gaza Strip and from the West Bank Settlements as proposed in various peace initiatives.

Immigration to Palestine and Israel from outside the Middle East will continue.

Housing needs for Palestinians for the next ten years will be +/- 260,000 (UN Governing Covering Council of the United Nations Human Settlements Program)

Population figures included in the various schemes assume 5 members per unit of housing.

Average size of a housing unit is targeted at 80 square meters. "

Map of the projects:

TEL AVIV COASTAL ISLANDS: Tel Aviv becoming a new dubai

New Land Reclaimed:
1.5km2
.5mi2
Probable Population:
30,000 inhabitants
6,000 units

This location and design investigation responds to a higher per capita income of the Israeli population combined with normal population growth and the potential land needed for immigration. It also provides new land for the relocation of Israelis refugees from settlements in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank if that publicized political plan proposal is implemented. The island scheme can be created in phases over time. Upgraded existing airport facilities will be expanded near Tel Aviv.

With other deep sea ports available in Israel, no new Container ship or Cargo facilities are required here. New land is provided for special housing on islands that serve the tourist industry. Anticipated here are a range of facilities including hotels, popular waterfront development, cafes, exclusive shopping streets, beaches, recreation facilities, boating, tour ships. For the inhabitants and new residents, a sense of community is established with local services within walking distances.

Project Design Team: Stefanie Balzotti, Robert Larson, Dennis Morelli, Vincent Sorrentino

DESERT SETTLEMENT:

Probable Population:
400 inhabitants
80 units

With the abundance of land in the Negev Desert that is currently unused because of adverse and severe climate conditions, this study investigates agricultural based Settlements with small Desert Cities east of the coast within the Negev Desert. As sites for human habitation, this region has an overabundance of sun and an absence of Water. No rain is received. Power is non existent. Small Desert Settlements with sustainable land management, Greenhouse construction, drip irrigation, vertical planting concepts, seasonal crops are anticipated.

Agricultural innovation is the rule not the exception. With water wells in deep brackish aquifers, water sources can be developed. Farms with saline tolerant crops like "salt water" tomato, broccoli, beet and other vegetables provide sources of food or export. Flowers can grow for shipping to other countries. Fig trees, olive groves are possible. Fish farms, shrimp, prosper. Water condensation techniques produce higher quality water; more expensive desalinization water supplies from the coast are considered. The ultimate goal is to provide food

DESERT CITY:

Probable Population:
25,000 inhabitants
5,000 units

Desert City results from the services to and from the many anticipated settlements and demands from coastal centers. Both processing plants and manufacturing provide jobs for residents. Desert research facilities would prosper. Relocation of refugees and immigrants to the Middle East could find homes and jobs here.

With temperature averages at about 97 degrees in summer, large lightweight translucent shading provides a cooler environment for the people below.

Deep geothermal cooling is investigated for special building types. Photovoltaic arrays provide power from the sun. A shaded center with schools and cultural facilities serve low rise, low density housing neighborhoods with shaded courtyards.

Occasionally discussed in political negotiations as potential land trade between Palestinians and Israelis, this new desert land reclamation suggests positive potential.

PENINSULA WITH PORT IN GAZA:

New Land Reclaimed:
1.65km2
.64mi2
Probable Population:
54,000 inhabitants
10,800 units

Located off the coast and connected to the Gaza strip near Gaza, this scheme creates a deep sea port three miles off the coast connected by filled land on which manufacturing and assembly facilities are placed. Housing for workers is included in the early phases.

Later phases of growth include additional housing of varied densities, a University campus, local marinas, parks and cultural and tourist facilities. These phases on filled land allow growth and services to expand toward the mainland. Phasing includes mainland growth and development.

LINEAR ISLAND WITH PORT IN GAZA:

New Land Reclaimed:
4km2
1.5mi2
Probable Population:
60,000 inhabitants
12,000 units

Initially, this land creation focuses on an isolated floating cargo facility served by Ferry service for workers. With continued growth and prosperity, a causeway is constructed and cargo facilities, light industry and manufacturing expand. The initial phase anchors a Deep Sea Port facility ale to load and unload container ships with manufacturing and assembly facilities beyond the three mile limit. A Free Trade Zone enhances successful development by investments. Housing needs are provided for. Public spaces create a sense of place; cultural services including mosques, social services complete a small city with a sense of Community. Expanding over decades of growth and filled sections of land, the island will eventually grow closer to the mainland separated by only a strip of water. Phasing includes mainland growth.

MARINA COVE ISLANDS NEAR WADI IN GAZA:

New Land Reclaimed:
2.1km2
.8mi2
Probable Population:
40,000 inhabitants
8,000 units

This scheme creates a series of Islands off the coast of Gaza which has services that are meant to attract tourists and corporate businesses. Connected to a new deep sea port, the Islands and their financial success will invite growth to the existing urban center on the mainland. These new facilities should revitalize and expand planned light industry zones and its residential growth toward existing River and wetland preserves, south of Gaza. The proposed plan shows higher income, low rise housing, surrounding a special Island Town Center with hotels and other tourist facilities including special marinas for Mediterranean yachts and sail boats.

Separated into distinct neighborhoods, local shopping, schools and religious and other cultural facilities are within walking distances. The Cargo and Port facilities, invite shipping from throughout the Mediterranean with international distribution of assembled and manufactured goods from within the existing Gaza Strip perimeter. This design approach is a conscious attempt to build on existing services, protecting existing agricultural land and the environmental and utilize mainland amenities and infrastructure. This growth and mainland growth is anticipated over a long time frame.

VERNACULAR KAHN YOUNIS:

New Land Reclaimed:
2.1km2
.8mi2
Probable Population:
40,000 inhabitants
8,000 units

The name assigned to this island development gains its meaning from the language of the master plan and design. Each attempts to bridge contemporary planning and a vernacular architectural language with the culture of the Middle East. This design softens grid systems, responds to lower population densities, celebrates the pedestrian markets with historical references, private courtyards and cultural experience that was inherent in past cities of the region. In doing so it also responds to Climate and Environmental concerns. The overall plan is developed in multiple phases.

With clear distinctive zones for small neighborhoods, housing, markets, cultural facilities, waterways, pedestrian green areas and open public spaces, its human scale and community is evident. It's intention is a comfortable cultural responsive living environment that is also a plan for 21st century needs.

Closer to the mainland than other schemes, filled land would quickly expand new housing toward the mainland. Phasing includes mainland growth.

EGYPT GAZA INTERFACE:

More info on: http://www.rwu.edu/macrocenter/2004/archplanningpapers/index.htm

·
ira
220 Posts
It looks like someone spent a lot of time and effort to come up with some positive plans to help solve problems. I could see the Israelis getting behind something like this if there was a serious palestinian government that truley wanted to benifit their people. The way things stand now misery is a tool for governing. If money and development would solve the problem it would have been solved a long time ago. Where else do you have a people with institutionalized refugee status for 58 years

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I don't see too much of a need for artificial islands in Israel.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
If I'm allowed to voice my opinion without offending anyone, I don't like artificial islands, palms, or whatever. If land reclamation is going to be done, I prefer it to be as the Dutch did it with Flevoland. Just my two cents.

·
6,874 Posts
It can be monkey Island for all i care...
theres like a million people in Gaza and 40,000 will live in this artifical island..
probably only the aristocrats will live in it...

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
If you call it "terror camp" island in gaza im sure they can get funding from some countries to to do it ;)

anyway these are student projects and not concrete proposals

·
Registered
5 Posts
i cant pretend that these sorts of plans arent exciting...

..but i dont thing we need them in israel, certainly not for a gain of 1.5km2. i can think of at least 10km2 of tel-aviv that is in urgent need of development/restoration.

i'm also concerned by the potential environmental impact on the coast line; nature has a way of fighting these things if not tomorrow then in a few decades time.

as for the palestinians, with the high density in gaza, i would not begrudge them any development offshore.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kappa21 said:
It can be monkey Island for all i care...
theres like a million people in Gaza and 40,000 will live in this artifical island..
probably only the aristocrats will live in it...
I agree, islands with only one access point would be only for the gentry. However, if they simply reclaimed land along the coastline it could be different.

Anyways, I don't think that the quantity of land in Gaza is a major obstacle to development. There are ministates with even less land that have developed well.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
source26 said:
If you call it "terror camp" island in gaza im sure they can get funding from some countries to to do it ;)

anyway these are student projects and not concrete proposals
Exactly, that's why I named the thread "land reclamation and other development ideas..."

I don't know that anything will come out of these ideas.

·
6,874 Posts
urbane said:
I agree, islands with only one access point would be only for the gentry. However, if they simply reclaimed land along the coastline it could be different.

Anyways, I don't think that the quantity of land in Gaza is a major obstacle to development. There are ministates with even less land that have developed well.

Other than the settlements in Gaza, there was alot of area that was taken for farmers and people who wanted to have large houses and illegal ones. Many of the leaders of the militant groups own mansions and take up alot of space, especailly when you can build dunams after dunams of really enriched stuff...

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
why should we care for gaza?
gaza is next to sinai, a totally empty space twice the size of Israel.
If egypt really wanted to solve their problems it could easily give
them land in north sinai and double or even enlarge 10 times the size of gaza
so its not our problem, and those poor poor people in gaza - how come
they each have 6 kids and private villas if they are all so starving and unemployed?

enough with the gaza terrorist propaganda machine..
all the agriculture farms that were confescated from jewish villages and handed free to palestinians were all destroyed and became terror camps for each militia..

in short: not our problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the welcome. i have been following some good threads and pics here for a few weeks now. i promise to take a digital SLR with me next time i come to israel.

anyway, back to the subject at hand...i was surprised to see that the artificial island off TA didnt have an airport on it. i thought that was the whole idea.

in terms of development ideas that can benefit the region, the red-dead/med-dead projects are certainly of higher priority and are probably alot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kappa21 said:
Other than the settlements in Gaza, there was alot of area that was taken for farmers and people who wanted to have large houses and illegal ones. Many of the leaders of the militant groups own mansions and take up alot of space, especailly when you can build dunams after dunams of really enriched stuff...
Exactly, they even have (or had ?) farmland there: so there is surely enough space and artificial islands are not needed.

I find the ideas for settlement in the Negev a bit more interesting. I mean, there aren't many urban areas there: the only ones that come to mind are Beer-Sheva and Eilat but both are at the very fringes of the Negev.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts