Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience with this program? how does it rank compared to other colleges and universities? is it hard to get in? im thinking about applying for this semester.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is a good program. You shouldn't have a problem getting accepted as long as you have the prerequisites. A lot of the courses involve case studies on local issues, which can be interesting. Just be prepared to do a lot of report writing as opposed to essays (for the planning courses at least).

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks man. i do meet all the requirements of the program and i spent a year at douglas college already so i have some courses that may be transferable. englis, 1st and 2nd year geographies etc. i will be applying this week. hopefully i get in

·
Registered
558 Posts
^ Yeah those classes should be easily transferable to Langara so you wont have to re-take them. The program includes 2 english and 2 geography classes, so it looks like your set to be excluded from those as long as you apply for a transfer credit.

Another great thing about the program is that pretty much every course is recognized and accepted by UBC and SFU, so you can transfer over quite easily into 3rd year once your finished at Langara.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
what are sfu, ubc, calgary, carleton, ryerson, uvic, langara, and mcgill's high school requirements for acceptance into urban planning?

i can't find clear information on any of them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you want to do urban planning at ubc.. unfortuately theres no undergrad degree in urban planning but you can try the bachelor of environmental design http://students.ubc.ca/calendar/index.cfm?tree=12,196,525,696 where you can specialize in urban planning but the degree is a non-professional degree meant to prepare you for a masters in urban planning

and i think that the only programs that sfu has in urban planning are a masters in urban studies and a graduate diploma in urban studies

·
Registered
82 Posts
^ yep thats another way to go if you want to do urban planning.. both ubc and sfu have bachelors and masters degrees in geography but theres not as much of a direct focus on urban planning

im actually doing a BA in geography at ubc and focusing on urban studies

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Actually the Environmental Design department is not accepting any new applicants this year because they're "redesigning" the curriculum. F*CK!
And I wanted to apply too! :bash:

·
Registered
250 Posts
spyro said:
^ yep thats another way to go if you want to do urban planning.. both ubc and sfu have bachelors and masters degrees in geography but theres not as much of a direct focus on urban planning

Then you can continue on after to get your masters degree in urban planning at UBC?

·
Registered
82 Posts
^ yeah thats the plan.. or i might do a masters in architecture (if i can get in) cause im interested in both and i think you could still do urban planning stuff with an architecture degree

and too bad about environmental design not accepting applications this year.. i know a friend who wanted to apply too and hes pissed.. and i took a look at their page on the calendar.. seems like they did add a whole of stuff to their curriculm like having to pay to attend a design workshop..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mines on tuesday and thursday. i have gis tonight (monday) and yeah, my names malcolm btw

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
what are sfu, ubc, calgary, carleton, ryerson, uvic, langara, and mcgill's high school requirements for acceptance into urban planning?

i can't find clear information on any of them.
Im at Ryerson for planning... All i needed was a 70% overall average and a grade 12 English credit.

Ryerson and Waterloo's planning programs are the only ones recognized by the CIP, and give you exemption from some of the exams.

·
Registered non-User
7,346 Posts

what year are you in? i'm also taking up geography in ubc. I'm thinking of doing urban studies with GIS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.