Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
i personally would prefer langham place. i understand many people would disagree with me because apm is much more airy and bright but it's very conventional. i always thought it's just an enlarged version of telford plaza 2 - shops surrounding an atrium with a slight curve. one thing which annoys me is that everything in apm is white, no matter it's the floor, or the walls or even the ceilings! white is good but they've been too widely copied all over hong kong. it's very hard to spot a new mall which hasn't got white floors - maybe except langham place. oh yes, even the new town plaza is replacing their old floors with white tiles. --"

i think langham place is very interesting though i don't think the spiral at the top is as successful as they thought it would be. i personally really appreciate the architects' efforts in creating something unique and something rather revolutionary. also, the site is very challenging because it's very long and narrow and it's already hard to fit shops in it, not to mention the angular and complicated composition they've created within.

i mean to design the apm may only take a month while langham will take at least double the time or maybe even half a year. think about it, how easy it is just to put an atrium in the middle with some cool escalators spanning across it and make everything white and glassy in the mall. ><

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Ohhhh, I've been there. It wasn't open yet when I was there in December, but I was in a restaurant next to it. It looked pretty standard-fare from the outside. I think the MTR Kwun Tong Line passes right next to it.

·
280 Posts
Not considering the design ...
I prefer APM to Langham place ...

ESPECIALLY the food court ....
the langham's one is messed up with crowds ...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Didn't know this place existed. Anyways need to see some interior pics to decide. For now I prefer Langham, just visited there in December and its better than any mall in Los Angeles.

·
523 Posts
zergcerebrates said:
Didn't know this place existed. Anyways need to see some interior pics to decide. For now I prefer Langham, just visited there in December and its better than any mall in Los Angeles.
But don't you think that Langham is quite narrow when compared to malls in the US?...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Um well, the spiral area is a bit narrow, but its the design and the material used that counts. The mall is quite different than most US malls because most malls in America are 2 stories high and are mostly shaped like a plus sign. Langham on the other hand is built upwards and the huge atrium is a very attractive part of the mall, and the stores are much more interesting to look at. For luxury and comfort I would go for IFC2 or Pacific Place, but for modernity and creativity in design I would go for Langham.

·
Registered
659 Posts
zergcerebrates said:
right some pictures from gakei.com:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I still like Langham more its more elegant APM is kinda dull with its thick sidewalls it feels heavy and confined and not very comfortable. This mall is not even close to Festival walk, Pacific Place, Langham or even Harbour City.

·
Registered
659 Posts
zergcerebrates said:
Hmm. Interesting. I still like Langham more its more elegant APM is kinda dull with its thick sidewalls it feels heavy and confined and not very comfortable. This mall is not even close to Festival walk, Pacific Place, Langham or even Harbour City.
i don't understand why it has to be that thick as well. --"

·
523 Posts
IMO, the IFC Mall is the one I consider to be the most beautiful in Hong Kong. Langham and APM are more sort of local-oriented malls.

·
Registered
419 Posts
in terms of upscale ... the hkland complex in central is even more sophisticated ... with four adjoining malls ...
and its located close to the small inner streets of inner central ...

i personally like taikoo shing the best since i was brought up there ...
other than that i more prefer district
like causeway bay with shops everywhere ...
retail everywhere ... it doesn't matter whats the usage ...
it would be converted ...

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Festival Walk is great; very very large mall...but from the two times that I've visited, it looked lacking in customers. Langham is great for variety because it has a lot of small specialty and hobby stores. It is a wonderful change to the Mongkok area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts