Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Langton Branch Line was built in 1885 by the Midland Railway. This branch went from the Cheshire Lines Committee's North Liverpool Extension Line at Fazakerley Junction to Langton Goods station, with a spur to North Mersey Goods. A second short spur, the Linacre Gas Works Branch, which was added later, ran from the Langton Branch Junction.
It was taken out of service 26 April 1968 and the lines were removed by August 1969. The line from Langton Goods to North Mersey Goods was used until July 1970.
The 2 Portal tunnels known locally as "Half Miley" runs under marsh lane and the Leeds Liverpool canal then headed under strand road to bootle new strand station.
The exit portal is now filled to ground level and some sort of park area now stands there.

Visited With Georgie

This had been on the list a long time and im pleased to have finally done it but it was not without a few initial dissappointments.
First one was getting to the top of the bank that leads down to the portal,only to really dense undergrowth,a machete would have come in handy as it was like the Amazon Rainforest.:).
As Georgie said it was my "Bear Grylls" moment fighting a path through for us.After getting to the portal we were disappointed to find it fenced off.(Bollocks).

After overcoming the setbacks we were finally in.

The Tunnel is full of deep mud and water

There was various access points between the 2 Tunnels.

Heading towards the daylight in the distance we can across this walkway cutting across the tunnels.Apparently it was used by the workers to access the Gas Works.
(Georgie stood under it).

Georgie

It was a real privilege to visit this place but with a new camera id bought the day before it was a baptism of fire getting decent pics underground.​

·
Fugly
11,325 Posts
Nice work Kevsy. I walk down that stretch of canal fairly often (especially on a matchday) and have wondered where the rail line went. Quite a feat of engineering having it go under the canal and not cave in after all this time. Can you shed some light on the other disused rail line a couple of hundred yards north? It crosses/crossed above the canal & Hawthorne Rd, where the Peoples' Garage 'Big Top' used to be. :cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work Kevsy. I walk down that stretch of canal fairly often (especially on a matchday) and have wondered where the rail line went. Quite a feat of engineering having it go under the canal and not cave in after all this time. Can you shed some light on the other disused rail line a couple of hundred yards north? It crosses/crossed above the canal & Hawthorne Rd, where the Peoples' Garage 'Big Top' used to be. :cheers:
Thanks,that sound like the old Aintree line it became disused in the 70's or 80's sometime,it still links to the line by Aintree station.There is talk of reopening it in the future.

When was the last time that tunnel had any action in it, I mean of the transport variety.
It was the late 60's it was last used.

Thanks for the pics Kev.

Will this tunnel ever come back into use?

Any plans for it?
Thanks,there are no plans to reopen it.Where the Lidl is situated on Marsh Lane there was a Tunnel portal but it was filled up to ground level.The top of the portal is still visible but you would think it was just a wall if you didn't know better.

·
Thanks,there are no plans to reopen it.Where the Lidl is situated on Marsh Lane there was a Tunnel portal but it was filled up to ground level.The top of the portal is still visible but you would think it was just a wall if you didn't know better.
You can see the continuation of that tunnel on Washington Parade - I think it runs under the platforms on Bootle New Strand Station.

·
Fugly
11,325 Posts
Aye. The tunnel is still there, albeit as a pedestrian walkway through to the new ASDA, and as a strip of wasteland coming out by the Muncaster on Irlam Rd. The cutting runs under the Marsh Lane police station site, and was bloody deep if you find the old photos.

·
If it's just been filled in with soil, then it must be possible to create a modern tunnel through that section to link up with the older section.

It could then be used to transport containers from the Post-Panamax extension at Seaforth.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,925 Posts
It's always fascinating to see this disused underground infrastructure under the city. All the same, I am a bit concerned about just how access was gained to it. These tunnels are fenced off to protect them against trespass, especially by children and if fence palings were broken off, as they appear to have been in one of the photos, that has created a hazard.

I guess that the tunnel will be owned by Network Rail as a redundant asset and I wonder if any attempt was made to get their permission before deciding to break in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's always fascinating to see this disused underground infrastructure under the city. All the same, I am a bit concerned about just how access was gained to it. These tunnels are fenced off to protect them against trespass, especially by children and if fence palings were broken off, as they appear to have been in one of the photos, that has created a hazard.

I guess that the tunnel will be owned by Network Rail as a redundant asset and I wonder if any attempt was made to get their permission before deciding to break in.
If it helps you sleep easy,kids wouldn't gain access to it.And we certainly never "broke in".
Thanks for your comment.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,925 Posts
I can assure you its been that way for many years.
Hmmm.

First of all you say that 'you were disappointed to find it fenced off' now you are saying that it has been that way for many years. Also, if the fence was like that when you found it, why did you have to 'overcome the setbacks?'

To be honest, Kevsy, I am as interested in this sort of thing as you are and I don't often ask just how people get access to some of these sites. It was just the implication here that you had damaged a fence in order to get in which troubled my ex-railway engineer conscience. After all, there have been several cases over the years (mainly involving live railways) where children have been injured or killed because someone has cut a hole in a barrier fence.

Anyway, good photos and an interesting tunnel.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Aye. The tunnel is still there, albeit as a pedestrian walkway through to the new ASDA, and as a strip of wasteland coming out by the Muncaster on Irlam Rd. The cutting runs under the Marsh Lane police station site, and was bloody deep if you find the old photos.
If it's just been filled in with soil, then it must be possible to create a modern tunnel through that section to link up with the older section.
It could then be used to transport containers from the Post-Panamax extension at Seaforth.
Infrastructure like that certainly should be preserved if at all possible, rights of way protected (but building a 50 year life structure may be OK as long as its leasehold land).

Invaluable perhaps, one day, to historians and perhaps for new transport modes. I envisage something along the lines of golf carts or Heathrow-like PRT systems (but greatly modernised!). This could be 100 years away but still worth preserving heritage for.

As to freight there, no, not really.

There is little to no container freight on the existing railway today, and when it takes off in a few years the greatest concern is not throughput, but rather noise and reliability. Noisy diesels slogging uphill through residential neighborhoods in the middle of the night is unpleasant and opposition reasonable.
So highest priority is to electrify the existing line to Olive Mount in order to quieten it down when in use. Next is an alternate or diversion route. This should head from the docks somewhere Northbound. At the very least they could test leaving the port via a reversing movement near Bootle Junction and out then via Ford and Aintree.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
To be fair, if you look at the very far left of the first picture you can see the missing bar that is more visible in the third image. I don't believe kevsy damaged the fence, he's not the first to explore the area, there are plenty of others on 28dayslater etc...

I can understand why you are concerned about children possibly hurting themselves, but at the end of the day, they should be sensible enough not to go in there anyway, I know I wouldn't have as a child. It's not a live railway so the only thing that can happen is a fairly minor fall, I'm sure there are bigger hazards these days.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
^^ Can you just read over that . No harm can come to children in a half mile long disused railway tunnel:eek:hno: I share Martin's concerns about this. Btw, I walked this tunnel as a kid. Like every boy round there,you had to walk it, it was a dare .
Anyway, it looks a lot less scary today than it did 40 years ago ! (reply to post 18)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.