·
User
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting development...

NY1

Officials Consider Eminent Domain At Ground Zero

May 02, 2005

Could developer Larry Silverstein lose control of the World Trade Center site because Governor George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg are on the hot seat? NY1’s Davidson Goldin has this exclusive report about the future of Lower Manhattan.

Sources told NY1 Monday that Larry Silverstein's control of the World Trade Center site is now in jeopardy.

The sources say officials are aggressively studying whether they can kick the leaseholder out while taking the $$4.5 billion in insurance cash he now controls.

Silverstein's signature Freedom Tower is now on hold because of security concerns, and officials say they might use eminent domain to cancel his lease, which began just weeks before the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Mayor Bloomberg on Monday ridiculed reports that Silverstein might ask the government to help him pay for security.

“I’m sure Mr. Silverstein would love to have somebody else pick up some of his tab,” said the mayor.

If the situation in Lower Manhattan doesn't improve soon, Silverstein could be the odd man out. Governor Pataki has national aspirations, and Mayor Bloomberg is running for re-election. And the man who happens to hold the World Trade Center lease doesn't matter a whole lot to either of them.

In fact, government officials have complained about Silverstein for years. The developer is known for his enthusiasm, but he refused to comment for this story.

State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver had plenty to say about the World Trade Center site Monday, and his comments help explain why elected officials might want a convenient fall-guy.

“If the governor and the mayor are so focused on the West Side of Manhattan, we are three and a half years after September 11th, [and] they have both, collectively, failed,” said the speaker.

Silver was reacting to reports the Freedom Tower will be too close to the West Side Highway. The design plan has the building 25 feet from the street, but Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is insisting on closer to 100 feet, perhaps even more.

“These are not new concerns. These are ongoing concerns that the department has been involved in and has surfaced these issues over an extended period of time,” said the commissioner.

Kelly has a point. One newspaper headline about security concerns dates back to November, and sources say the police put their concerns in writing last August. But state officials say those concerns were far from specific.

In the end, Larry Silverstein could take the blame for all of this.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I hope Silverstein, Pataki, and David Childs are all removed from the premesis, and a court order should order them to stay ten blocks away from the WTC site until construction is finished.

Sorry for my rant, but this is getting extremely pathetic. I'm almost to the point of saying don't rebuild anything if Freedom Tower is going to be such a piece of s**t building.

This new version is even more pathetic than the last one. Why are we planning a gigantic ugly skeleton of a building? It is not an appropriate design and is in fact quite offensive to look at. I wouldn't have objected if office space went clear to the top, making it solidly the World's Tallest Building. This is a sick joke. These people in charge are betraying all Americans at this point, and they have given the terrorists a clear victory here, unless the design of the building drastically changes.

savethewtc said:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thats not the new version of the tower. That is Child's old design.

The new version won't come out for a couple of weeks yet. Although unfortunatly Childs is now the lone architect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
^maybe, but i think that the freedom tower looked better with libeskind there, and having at least some imput rather then letting childs have his horrible design.

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
how about getting another architect? I want Pelli, he's done a good job in the city already
I honesly don't even know what either Childs or Liebeskind have done before their Crappy tower

·
Registered
946 Posts
3tmk said:
how about getting another architect? I want Pelli, he's done a good job in the city already
I honesly don't even know what either Childs or Liebeskind have done before their Crappy tower
Childs designed Time Warner Center, Bertelsman Tower (at Times Sqaure) - hes the big guy at SOM (I forgot his actual title).

Liebskind has done some smaller scale things, like the Holocaust Museum in Berlin (at least I think its Berlin)

I dont think Pelli would be such a good idea. The building would probably look exactly like 2IFC.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
3tmk said:
I thought that was the old building, not the new one
I hadn't seen a version of the building where half the height was literally the lattice skeleton structure. I assumed this was a slight update (a horrible one at that).

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
yes I know about the Holocaust memorial but I was thinking about highrises.
anyway, thanks for the info, I had no idea Childs thought up the TWC, in any case he did a good job there, he just needs to find his muse again and give us something as good but unique.
And what's wrong with the 2IFC, I would love to have it in NYC, and just imagine, right across the Hudson from the Goldman Sachs ;)

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
^2IFC is practically the same as Goldman and that's exactly why I think Pelli is past his prime. He seems to have run out of good ideas.

Though, a worn out Pelli design is still better than a brand new Childs...

·
Long live the Twins!
1,116 Posts
pelli had churned out so many awesome towers like key tower, wfc, bofa charlotte, 2 ifc, petronas, etc., and it should be of no problem in getting him to release another good tower...

but i think child's already at the end of his rope.

i rather see libeskind and childs kicked completely out of the picture, as well as pataki and bloomberg. silverstein's pretty much the only guy who's not directly involved in this corrupt process, and the freedom tower was pretty much shoved down his throat against his will.

·
It was aliens
4,778 Posts
I wish Trumps plan could happen but he has no say, and Larry will not be kicked out, You can't believe everything you read. Trump is just using this for a publicity stunt on his show, it's not going to become a reality, that is a promise. :bash:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts