SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
NewYorkYankee said:
.....Before I came to NYC I thought it was perfect and I would love it forever. Well, now I see the problems it has, and my own personal problems with it......
Well, let's all be careful about this one....First of all, NYC has great things to offer to anyone as much as LA. I've said this before (and seems like you've admitted it too), it isn't so much the city that has the problems but your relationship with it. Whenever you live in a big city, it comes with big city problems and big city advantages. The questions to ask yourself: do I have a job that I love and pays enough for me to live comfortably in the city? do I make friends easily? do I have other interests other than my work? If you answer YES to these questions then any city for that matter will work for you. The point is to engage the city you live in...each city has it's own rhythms, culture and idiosyncracies. To visit LA in just a few days or even weeks and make a judgement call will never be enough to fully appreciate what this city has to offer. That's the mistake most visitors make. LA is a complicated, complex creature, revealing itself in multiple layers over time. Definitely not a single-impression city, thus making it a far more interesting place to be in. You'll always have problems anywhere you go....so pack your bags and we will welcome you!

· Registered
459 Posts
dweebo2220 said:
.....I think the main problem with LA is that it's not THERE yet. I guess it has always been true that LA is a place obsessed with its own (poorly planned) future,.....It isn't really a place to be proud of....BUT it's not there yet....
What do you mean by not THERE yet? Is there an ultimate ideal, the heavenly place that needs to be achieved here? NOT THERE YET? Where or what exactly is THERE? The city, in simple terms, can be thought of as an ORGANISM, a breathing, living thing, that can grow, morph or subdivide into a multitude of related, inter-related or even non-related entities. LA in essence is like that. It grows in it's own unique way, every generation trying to tame the beast but once tamed another beast is born. So to say that there is a THERE for LA is a bit ambiguous and self-serving because LA is a city, unlike any other, a city in constant flux. A continuing urban experiment that never really established results but quite succesfully initiated the process. NO ONE HAS THE ANSWERS.

WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF LOS ANGELES?
Http://archrecord.construction.com/features/LA/Feature-LA_QA.asp

A few current publications featuring LA:

ART REVIEW, MAY ISSUE

http://www.art-review.co.uk/

ARCHITECTURAL RECORD, MAY ISSUE:

http://archrecord.construction.com/Default.asp

· Registered
459 Posts
L.A.'s problems for me (in no particular order):

Dirty beaches
Homelessness
High cost of living
Traffic
Smog

Problems common to all big cities (including dirty beaches? maybe dirty rivers?) which I think the city can fix....

· Registered
459 Posts
Hey Kiddo! The fact that people who complain still live here despite all these problems shows REAL LOVE FOR THE CITY, baby!!! Ha! Ha! The point is, no city is perfect and we Angelenos should demand more from ourselves and our city government. All of us have a stake in this city and we are hoping for a better future!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.