Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Huh?
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a regular poster over at SSP, but I never thought to post pictures over here on SSC but I think Ill start posting photo threads on here too :)

I just got back from a trip to Memphis and St. Louis about a week ago and past through a couple other places on the way. Ive always been intrigued by Cairo, it had the possibility to become one of Americas great cities, but it just never happened. Railroads went past it, highways bypassed it, the port was moved; and now, the former city of 20,000 is mostly abandoned. 20 of the cities historic buildings have been burned down in the past 2 months due to arson and the ones that havent been burned down yet, are caving in on themselves. Its truly one of the most depressing yet most fascinating places Ive been.

Still smoldering building

Future City, right before you enter Cairo, ironic?

Eventually I get around to getting a Memphis thread going too.

·
***H***
4,528 Posts
I like it. :)

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Yes, I had passed by Cairo a few times in the past, and like you, I was both repelled and fascinated by it -- fascinated enough to learn a bit more about its history.

Thanks for the pictures. I guess it is the way of all things. The great cities of today are not immune.

·
Bike It!
22,259 Posts
Oh my God!.... What depressing.
It looks like it has been a town with beautiful architecture and full of live. Now it's just a ghost town... almost. Must be hard to live there in between the ruïns...

Great pics anyway!Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts