SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of the 12-5am transport where they live?

I personally am extremely happy with the 380 bus... frequency of 6-15mins until 3am and then every 1/2 hour till morning

I feel so lucky to never have to pay for a taxi to get home

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
What does everyone think of the 12-5am transport where they live?

I personally am extremely happy with the 380 bus... frequency of 6-15mins until 3am and then every 1/2 hour till morning

I feel so lucky to never have to pay for a taxi to get home
I've been riding all night on the 380 bus! It's kool!

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I have access to a nightride bus service by Cityrail that stops at my local bus stop, even though my suburb is no where near a rail line. Buses every half hour after midnight. Good after a night out in the city. Even trains still ran I would still take the bus.

·
Registered
583 Posts
f that shit
i have no nightbus
if i ever go to the valley or city and want to go home
you will often find me as the driver and my friends all drunk
i mean, i can catch one of the nightlinks
but it means i have to walk for 20mins in a dark road near the Gateway

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
the late night buses in Adelaide are terrible, i either try to make the last train at 11;50 or crash at someone's place for the nite. The late nite buses only work on fridays and saturdays after 12 and only one bus every hour. It could be more frequent but i doubt there is really a demand for it, there could however be a demand for late nite buses during the week.

·
Sexiest Creature
688 Posts
Nightride for my area in Sydney is okay when heading from the city (haven't gone other way). The buses on weekends are very infrequent at 1bph compared to some other routes that have 2-3bph. The trip takes only takes 15 minutes longer than the train trip does and is about an hour and 15 minutes.

The early buses are a pain though. The first 2 buses are almost always full on Saturdays and end up rejecting people at the first stop. If you aren't able to get on the bus before the seats full then you usually have to stand up for more than 50 minutes until the bus almost empties out at Liverpool.

·
Rabid Furry Skier
3,442 Posts
Melbourne has okay late night bus transport on Friday and Saturday night running every 30 minutes till the first train of the morning, but none is provided for other days of the week. I sometimes have almost been caught out without any way getting home late on a weekday night due to the last train being full in some cases.

Last time I rode a night bus service would be from Knox to the city via everywhere in between, it is tiring going through all the suburbia wondering if you are ever going to get into the city at all... :crazy: (it was interesting to actually ride the bus for 1 hour and 10 minutes without stopping at all, just weird since I am used to stopping every now and then)

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
The Nightrider serves all my needs because I live close to a stop but the passenger numbers really show that a 15 minute service could be justified, at least on the Dandenong route because they get very very crowded. Ditto all evening train services.

Normally, if there's a place to go for the night, the first train out of the city on a Saturday morning is at 4:58am so it's not too difficult to just wait for that.

·
The Delivery Guy
1,544 Posts
the late night buses in Adelaide are terrible, i either try to make the last train at 11;50 or crash at someone's place for the nite. The late nite buses only work on fridays and saturdays after 12 and only one bus every hour. It could be more frequent but i doubt there is really a demand for it, there could however be a demand for late nite buses during the week.
They operate both ways though right? Most of Brisbane's nightlink buses and all nightlink trains only run outbound.

·
WARREN
8,176 Posts
Almost never need to travel outside of the train operating hours of 5am-12am. If I did, on a Sat/Sun morning there's a Nightrider bus every half hour, and the last train is an hour later.

What has annoyed me before though is the 7:30am first train on a Sunday, which is even worse if I'm going outbound when the first train is 8:30am.

I think the service is good enough in general :yes:

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I want nightrider services to have better frequency past 1am in Sydney. I'm sure passengers will pay a bit more for a more frequent service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Non-existant between 1am and 6am to my area of the Hills.

For that, you have to catch a train... and even then, you still need to get a taxi back.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
its shit

The bus that goes to within 300m of my door runs only every 2 hours throughout the night. In between that, there is a bus that runs along the main road also every 2 hours but that entails a 15-20 minute stumble after i get off the bus. not fun

I used to get the bus home all the time but with such a shit level of service the CBR of a taxi ride with 2 or 3 other people is way better than that of a bus ride

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think Melbourne's early hours transport is generally quite poor. On Saturday and Sunday morning it is not too bad - the Nightrider generally is a good service, though I think some cross-town routes should also operate into the later hours, say hourly or so on the 903 for example.

I think the government needs to update many tram routes, where trams move to a 20minute frequency as early as 6pm during the week. On many of those routes, trams should still be every 6-12minutes until at least 8pm
In inner city sections, why not 24hour routes, eg, the 96 the 16 (Kew - University via St Kilda)

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
jchan, it doesnt look as bad as it seems. The nightlink services seem to do a good job.

http://www.translink.com.au/qt/transLin.nsf/ReferenceLookup/060826_nightlink_map_network.pdf/$file/060826_nightlink_map_network.pdf

Interesting they also do late night services on some lines, whereas Sydney shuts their entire rail network in those wee hours.

It seems with bus services, they appear to have better coverage than Sydney, which just operate 24hr services to Bondi, Anzac Pde and the northern beaches. Western Sydney has no services.

Nightride for my area in Sydney is okay when heading from the city (haven't gone other way). The buses on weekends are very infrequent at 1bph compared to some other routes that have 2-3bph. The trip takes only takes 15 minutes longer than the train trip does and is about an hour and 15 minutes.

The early buses are a pain though. The first 2 buses are almost always full on Saturdays and end up rejecting people at the first stop. If you aren't able to get on the bus before the seats full then you usually have to stand up for more than 50 minutes until the bus almost empties out at Liverpool.
They usually add extra services on weekends. I know they do that for the Cronulla and Sutherland Services.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i dont get how does the flat-fare taxi service works in Brisbane
so let say, if i want to travel from zone 1 to 3, do i pay the normal translink fare?

·
Insane Gunzel
1,296 Posts
I rarely use PT after ~9pm (no need), but there's a Nightrider stop 15 minutes walk from me. Too bad that pretty much every service on the damn route is consistently packed leaving the city. :yes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts