SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Luxury, speed, safety . . . and night vision

It sees at night, prevents accidents, and leaves most sports cars in the dust: The ninth-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class is more than a simple luxury upgrade. Its Brake Assist Plus system uses long- and short-range radar to anticipate and avoid collisions—or, at the very least, lessen the severity of a crash—by automatically braking with full force if you don't stomp on the brake hard enough to stop in time. More impressive is the Night View Assist, which shines infrared beams down the road to illuminate hazards that are beyond the reach of the headlights. A special camera on the rearview mirror reads the infrared and shows you a crisp, clear image of what's coming on an eight-inch LCD screen in the instrument panel. A 5.5-liter V8 under the hood of the S550 produces 382 horsepower and 391 pound-feet of torque, enough to push this sedan to 62 mph in a scant 5.4 seconds. The premium luxury sedan has a new standard, and it is very high. $75,000–$130,000 (estimated)

2006 Pontiac Solstice
Rebirth of the american roadster

Pontiac's two-seat Solstice is proof that American manufacturers really can produce fun, affordable sports cars. It owes its smooth curves and robust steel-tube chassis to hydroforming, an innovative process that uses water pressure to inexpensively and precisely fabricate structural components and complex body panels with exceptional strength. Its spry 177hp engine pushes the Solstice to a top speed of 123 mph and a 0–60 time of 7.2 seconds, while its near-50/50 weight distribution and four-wheel control-arm independent suspension provide excellent road handling. $20,000

2006 Audi A3

Sport hatch, with emphasis on "sport"

The Audi A3 is the first premium hatchback to get it right, meshing utility, performance and smart styling. Perfect for carting a small family, the nimble 2.0-liter turbocharged model with a six-speed manual has plenty of power, but opt for the six-speed Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG), and the A3 is a veritable sports car. DSG is a semi-automatic transmission with the guts of a manual, using a pair of alternating clutches to produce lightning-quick shifts (two tenths of a second) with no interruption in torque flow. It helps shoot this pocket Audi to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. $24,700–$26,220

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Master of blacktop and muddy ruts

The 300hp Sport is the first Land Rover that takes the pavement as seriously as it does the dirt. Smaller than its flagship namesake, the Sport's on-road aptitude comes from the new Dynamic Response suspension system, which monitors cornering loads and employs hydraulic motors that stiffen or relax the anti-roll bars to enhance stability and mitigate body roll. The result: a 5,700-pound, 130mph SUV that handles Highway 1 as well as it does the Rubicon Trail. $56,750–$69,750

MORE TO COME

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
^^^
Love to own one of em! :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I preffer French cars

I've once driven clio 2 RS -2.0 16V 182 bhp and I fell In love in that car, I'm gonna have one of these one day for sure :)

·
615 Posts
2006 Ford Explorer:

2006 Ford Mustang:

2006 Ford GT:

2006 Chrysler Crossfire:

2006 Chrysler 300:

2007 Chrysler Aspen:

2006 Chevrolet Corevette:

Bah, thats enough to give you an idea of American cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
300C/Crossfire and mustang are awesome, well all are awesome but somehow I like these models best.

300C hemi is the best car of this size for this money -relatively cheap, as you won't get a BMW audi or mercedes like that for such money

and if mustang was available in Poland for the money it costs in the USA -we would have many of them, once again an amusing car for reasonable money

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
That 2007 S Class sounds like a mint car. Night vision thats a new one. I've been in a brand new range rover sport and its got so many little things that make it easier to drive its silly. Instead of a hand break its just got a button, and when you reverse the mirrors line up at right angle to you get the best possible view. Then its fully automatic which makes it even easier to drive. In 10 years time I wonder what they will have come up with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
however the price of a new S-klasse is much bigger than the previous model...when it will stop?

Fortunately there is a bit cheaper new model which, to my mind, looks at least equally mint...the new CLS

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
It looks like Japan, Germany and Italy make the best cars in the world. Ironically those were the countries that lost WWII but they have the best in ground transportation technology.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
The Axis powers are defeating us now. We're car-dependent and they're not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wonder whether importing French cars to the US would be a good idea -I think it would :)
Renault, Peugeot and Citroen have very interesting cars

·
17,170 Posts
FM 2258 said:
It looks like Japan, Germany and Italy make the best cars in the world. Ironically those were the countries that lost WWII but they have the best in ground transportation technology.

Italia cars without Fiat

1 - 20 of 725 Posts