SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old mill town, Lawrence has seen better days. There's a population of approx 75,000, and from what I read the once high crime rate has been steadily declining to a respectable level. I think the city is beginning to enjoy a revitalization, though not readily seen in these pics (from oct '04 on a cloudy day). Here goes:

Hope you enjoyed. :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Nice to see some of these smaller, non-Boston cities in Massachusetts get some attention.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yah, those pics arent that bad.

I have a few friends here in Boston from Lawrence, and I have gone back with them.

The housing and residential areas are alot worse than anything you see in those pics

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
More wonderful pictures!

Lawrence MA declined for many decades. Between 1950 & 1980, the city’s population dropped from 80,000 to 63,000. But Lawrence has made a significant comeback over the past couple of decades. Population is back up to 72,000. That’s about 90% of its 1950 population. Compares very well with other older cities in the Northeast. Lawrence has an interesting history as one the original 19th century Industrial Revolution milltowns. But it’s also a city with a great future.

Really good to hear that murders in Lawrence are down to zip!

·
Registered
698 Posts
And they will be converted into condos, it's only a matter of time. Lowell was considered dead beyond revival only a decade ago, and now it is fastly becoming an "it" place due to its relatively cheap mill condos and lofts. Lawrence is what, 10 miles from Lowell at most?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts