SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During summer 2011, I was lucky enough to go to Versailles, unfortunately I was not able to visit the inside (it has had too many people there), I contented myself with the Park (in 3 hours of visit I was not even able to see half of the gardens)

et voilà ! :cheers:

the Castle :

Floor area :67,000 m2
Number of windows :2,153
Number of rooms : 2,300
Staircases : 67
Paintings in the museum’s collection : 6,123
Drawings in museum’s collection : 1,500
Engravings in museum’s collection : 15,034
Sculptures in museum’s collection : 2,102
Pieces of furniture and objets d’art : 5,210

Gardens :

Size: 800 ha.
Number of trees: 200,000
Flowers planted annually: 210,000
Number of fountains: 50
Number of jets of water: 620
Surface area of the Grand Canal: 23 ha.
Perimeter of the Grand Canal: 5.57 km
Amount of piping to feed the fountains: 35 km.
Amount of water consumed by the fountains
during the ‘‘Grandes Eaux’’: 3,600 m3

·
Goddess of Winter
2,537 Posts
I was there in March 2010; had a fantastic time. It's a beautiful palace and a reminder of the opulence King Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette lived in before being executed.

What also impressed me were the enormous grounds of the palace, which felt like a small country! Very beautiful though and thanks for posting these images. I took lots of photos myself, but didn't post them here.

It was worth the rather long trip on the RER to get there, even though I got on the wrong train and ended up going east instead of west (apparently there's another station on the Paris RER with the same name).

Reactions: Maxou2Nantes

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was there in March 2010; had a fantastic time. It's a beautiful palace and a reminder of the opulence King Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette lived in before being executed.

What also impressed me were the enormous grounds of the palace, which felt like a small country! Very beautiful though and thanks for posting these images. I took lots of photos myself, but didn't post them here.

It was worth the rather long trip on the RER to get there, even though I got on the wrong train and ended up going east instead of west (apparently there's another station on the Paris RER with the same name).

If you have photos of the inside of the Palace, I would be delighted that you post them here :)

·
Goddess of Winter
2,537 Posts
If you have photos of the inside of the Palace, I would be delighted that you post them here :)
I have lots actually from inside and outside the palace. It was a grey March day, but still beautiful.

I'll try to upload them either today or tomorrow. I just never got around to it.

Reactions: Maxou2Nantes

·
Just Relax
22,525 Posts
Stunning.
I'm visiting Versailles this summer. I'm not too bothered with the interior really. More interested in seeing the gardens and the grand facades.

·
Since 2012
7,928 Posts
^^ You must visit the "Petits Appartements" (private parts) of the King to discover a more intimate Versailles full of hidden treasures. Like this:

·
Londinium langur
9,538 Posts
Thanks for posting, but in terms of style, I really dislike Versailles. It has no charm imo. The overall form of the building is dull. The scupture and details are bombastic, vulgar, grotesque. I far prefer the chateaux of the Loire.

·
Since 2012
7,928 Posts
This is not the same period, Versailles is a "baroque" construction (rather "classique" in French because our baroque is very simple), while the castles of the Loire are Renaissance buildings!

·
Londinium langur
9,538 Posts
This is not the same period, Versailles is a "baroque" construction (rather "classique" in French because our baroque is very simple), while the castles of the Loire are Renaissance buildings!
I'm aware that Verailles is baroque, and the Loire chateaux are a mix of medieval and Renaissance. I'm just expressing my preference.

I don't have anything against baroque as a style. Indeed I love many baroque buildings. However I just don't like Versailles. It's vulgar, tasteless, and overblown.

·
Since 2012
7,928 Posts
New acquisition for the most beautiful castle in the world: Versailles. Louis XVI's vase-clock acquired by Louis XVI in 1777 :

·
Since 2012
7,928 Posts

The castle at the time of Louis-Philippe, we see the changes on the front as the turrets at the corners, the inscription "À toutes les gloires de la France", the statue of Louis XIV in the yard, etc..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts