SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Since 2012
7,928 Posts
Napoleon also said it was « la maison des siècles » to talk about his long history (8 centuries) of residence of our kings!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
When you look at Versailles you can see why the French had a revolution.

I went to a dinner once at the orangerie in the palace grounds, being held by my previous company's French parent. It was incredible with fantastic food and wine. They had commissioned a play about the history of the company which we went outside to watch after dinner. It sounds naff but was actually enjoyable. This was followed by a firework display over the gardens, incredibly extravagant but it was so well executed and such a good evening it was difficult to moan about the cost.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The causes of the Revolution are more complex than the brilliance of castles! If you're interested I can give you some references!
That would be interesting, thanks. We studied it at school, although that was mostly focused on the after effects and impact of the revolution. But you have to admit, for people at that time, the extravagance of a chateau like that must have seemed out of this world, at least to those who had any experience or understanding of it which i guess must have just been a tiny percentage of the population.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts