SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been thinking about what modern/postmodern architects Lebanon has to offer. I would like to make a list of all Lebanese architects.. that is those that are worth being called "architect". Can anyone help?

The ones I'm familiar with are the ones below...if there are any more good architects, can you please add them to the list? :cheers:

Modernist:

Joseph Philippe Karam

Contemporary:

Bernard Khoury http://www.bernardkhoury.com/
Nabil Gholam http://www.nabilgholam.com
Hashim Sarkis http://www.hashimsarkis.com/
Paul Kaloustian http://www.paulkaloustian.com/

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Ilyas Murr (1884-1976)

The first Lebanese engineer to graduate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1905. Among his projects figures the Roxy movie theater in 1932, in the center of Beirut, in an Art Deco style.

__

Mardiros Altounian (1889-1958)

Graduated from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1918. Besides his well known building for the Parliament (1931) and the Abed clock tower (1934) he designed in 1937 the Azounieh sanatorium in the Chouf region.

__

Farid Trad (1901-1969)

Graduated as an engineer from the Ecole Centrale des Arts et Manufactures in Paris in 1926. He designed a large number of villas in Beirut. His masterpiece, the Unesco palace designed in 1947 presents a monumental interpretation of modern architecture.

__

Antoine Tabet (1907-1964)

Graduated from the Ecole Superieure des Ingenieurs de Beyrouth [ESIB] in 1926. He worked in Paris under Auguste Perret, before designing in 1932 with three French architects [Jacques Poirrier, Georges Bordes and Andre Lotte] one of the emblematic works of early modernism in Beirut, the Hotel Saint Georges. Later on, Tabet designed the Almaza beer factory in 1934 and the Sagesse school in Achrafieh in 1937. In all of the above-mentioned projects, traces of the influence of Perret and his structuralist approach are clearly visible. Antoine Tabet and Farid Trad are considered as the two pioneers of Modern Architecture in Lebanon.

__

George Rayes (1915-2002)

Lebanese architect born in Alexandria, Egypt; studied at the Bartlett School and the Architecture Association. He designed with his partner Theo Kanaan (1910-1959) several projects that are considered as reference points in this golden period in which Lebanon enjoyed economic, social and cultural development. Together they realized an architecture that distinguishes itself by rationality and is characterized by a high degree of perfection in details. With Kanaan and Assem Salam, Rayes designed in 1955 the important landmark, the Pan American building in the center of the city.

__

Khalil Khoury (1929-) graduated in 1955 from the Academie Libanaise des Beaux Arts, his brother Georges Khoury (1933-) graduated in 1960 from the Ecole Speciale d'Architecture in Paris.

Gregoire Serof (1930-) also graduated in 1955 from the Academie Libanaise des Beaux Arts.

Raoul Verney (1930-) graduated in 1954 from the Ecole Superieure des Ingenieurs de Beyrouth. All four collaborated on a number of projects. At the end of the sixties they designed a major project, the College des Freres Mont La Salle at Ain Saade, a large educational facility composed of modular units of fair-faced concrete.

Among the other projects developed by the Khoury Brothers figures the later Manar Resort, a project designed in the 80's that follows clearly the lessons of Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation, but reduced at a smaller scale.

__

Joseph Philippe Karam (1923-1976)

Graduated in 1946 from the Ecole Superieure des Ingenieurs de Beyrouth. His short career is marked by the assimilation of Le Corbusier's syntax and his mastery of concrete in its various textures and treatments, as well as new techniques like colored glass paste. His production was representative of the optimism and development in the country between 1950 and 1960. Among his many projects figures the Teachers Institute in Jounieh, the City Center Mall, a landmark of the Beirut center in the 1970s, the second phase of the Phoenicia Hotel, the Aquamarina sea resort in Jounieh. (For those of you who are wondering, "the City Center Mall" is what you call "the egg" or "the bubble" in downtown)

__

Assem Salam (1924) عاصم سلام

Graduated in 1950 from the University of Cambridge. Since launching his practice in 1952, Salam showed a deep interest in local interpretations of modernity. In 1965, he designed the Serail of Saida, a modern edifice which shows the incorporation of traditional elements. In 1968, he designed the Khachoggi Mosque, which shows affinities to Louis Kahn's geometric articulations, and is considered a landmark in contemporary Islamic architecture. Among his other realizations figures also the dormitories of Broumana High School [1966]

__

Pierre El Khoury (1930-2005)

Graduated in 1957 from the Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris. Since starting his practice, he realized more than 200 projects. In 1959 he carried out his first project, his own house in the region of Yarze, a modern masterpiece in harmony with its wooded site. In 1966, El Khoury designed the British Bank in Beirut; a construction which inserts itself in a difficult site in the proximity of the nearby Saint Louis cathedral. Among his later major works figures the Cathedral of Harissa overlooking the bay of Jounieh.

__

Pierre Neema (1931-)

Graduated in 1958 from the Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris, under the tutorship of Andre Leconte. With Jacques Aractingi (1932-) an engineer who graduated from ESIB in 1954, Jean-Noel Conan (1926-) a French architect who graduated in 1956 from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris and Joseph Nassar (1931-) an engineer who graduated from ESIB in 1953, he realized in 1963 the Artisans House in Ain-Mreisseh in Beirut, a building that expresses a creative adaptation of modernism to local culture. In 1966, he won the competition for the headquarters of the Electricite du Liban in Beirut, a construction which is influenced by the Brazilian movement in modern architecture.

__

Antoine Romanos (1944- )

Graduated from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1969, where he studied under George Candilis, Alexi Josic and Shadrach Woods. Upon his return to Lebanon, he won the competition to design the SNA-Assurances headquarters in Beirut in 1970 a building that articulates the separation between serving and served spaces, between structure and infrastructure, within a rationally designed envelope of fair faced concrete. Among the other noteworthy examples of his work is Le The, a small multi-purpose structure in Beirut [1978], with a modular system of partitions and exposed mechanical systems.

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Among the contemporary architects, Charles Hadife should be in the list.

Btw, this thread is too important for Cedar Cafe!!! I think it should be in the Architecture, infrustructure...etc

Edit: Already in here, but it took me quite some time to finish my post that I started in Cedar Cafe! Thanx Beiruti..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y. Tohme http://www.yousseftohme.com/

Its amazing that there actually are good architects in lebanon, yet they still build ugly concrete apartment blocks in everywhere in beirut.

I think once we've made a good roundup of all the good architects, we should create a good wikipedia page: "Architecture in Lebanon"

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Among the contemporary architects, Charles Hadife should be in the list.
he designed Factory 4376.. right? he's amazing that guy! i wish more can be like him. shame his website doesnt work, i'd like to see more of his projects.

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Its amazing that there actually are good architects in lebanon, yet they still build ugly concrete apartment blocks in everywhere in beirut.
A half full cup, is also half empty. It's the way you look at things that makes the difference. There's nothing wrong with concrete buildings, and, while I agree we have some "ugly" buildings around Beirut, we also have very nice ones.

I think once we've made a good roundup of all the good architects, we should create a good wikipedia page: "Architecture in Lebanon"
Good idea.

he designed Factory 4376.. right?
Right. Some of his latest projects include Vision-210, One OAK residence, Stratum, and the project that I've just created its thread; Sursock Yards.

His website is down for the moment, but you can check Premium Projects for some of his latest projects.

I have lots of brilliant Lebanese Architects to add later...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts