·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Great effort Beiruti, much appreciated.

You forgot Faraya - February 1st, 2008

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have found a picture of Jounieh in the forum .. It probably was submitted before, I do not know. Nonetheless, I made it into these three variations of a banner.

1#

2#

3#

Probably my preferred one
4#

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah Beiruti, I know, but the limit of the banner size makes it hard and unfair to really show how beautiful the view of the bay and city are together ..

Anyhow, here is a banner of Raouche:

Photo taken by Melkan Bassil.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Source Solidere.

Beirut Marina:

I love this shot of the bay, and was worth the painstaking work it needed. I captured the image by a simple print screen method off solidere's website ,after which I had to remove all the overlaying text and lines it had on. I guess we are settled for a marina banner :D

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
I captured the image by a simple print screen method off solidere's website ,after which I had to remove all the overlaying text and lines it had on.
Wiss, you could've asked. You know am good at other things than writing newspaper-like-longer-than-life posts! LOL

here's the original

Courtesy of Solidere

Btw, this is very close to the shot I was planning to take soon (Marina at dusk with lights). I still believe I can get a better outcome, but we'll see.

Thanks for all your hard work Wissarb, much appreciated.

·
4,373 Posts
^^ Amazing! It would have been nice to seem some cranes though. Zippo, it would be great if you could capture from this angle, without that darn marina wall in your way.

Wiss, can you try to create a banner without the spires cut off?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wiss, you could've asked. You know am good at other things than writing newspaper-like-longer-than-life posts! LOL.
arggggggg, now u tell me! nah jk :D. Yeah I thought of asking but it was too late at night and I was kind of impatient to wait for a response watever it may be
and as I cudnt sleep, I had to fill my insomnic time with something hehe.

Btw, this is very close to the shot I was planning to take soon (Marina at dusk with lights). I still believe I can get a better outcome, but we'll see..
Looking forward for your shot then! You should first manage a pass to that 4 storey building if u aim for a similar perspective so goodluck with that!

Amazing! It would have been nice to seem some cranes though.
umm.. im perosnally not fond of cranes in the pictures much.Anyway, I think there arent any visible from that angle at such a short height off ground. The towers mask everything behind.

Wiss, can you try to create a banner without the spires cut off?
I wanted to include the yacht club and part of the lightning by the marina bay for wat it adds to the view, which was the main thing that restrained me from having more sky in the banner. I will try though to have more of the spires in a upcoming variation so we can compare which looks better, sure np :)

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Zippo, it would be great if you could capture from this angle, without that darn marina wall in your way.
I was thinking about taking my shot from the other side of the bay, from that spot to be exact. The reason is that I won't miss the Zaitunay and its cranes, and I will get some yachts in my foreground, but the "high ground" feel of that shot is making me rethink my strategy.

I may attempt both, we'll see.

Looking forward for your shot then! You should first manage a pass to that 4 storey building if u aim for a similar perspective so goodluck with that!
That spot is supposed to be public. Check out the Zaitunay Bay thread here to better understand the project. It's still a construction site though, and I don't know how public it is at the moment.

Also Wiss, the reason we like to see cranes in the pictures (specifically banners) is because they portray Beirut as a developing city, and that even though it's looking gorgeous now, but it's gonna look even better* in the future... (*in a urban way)

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
So, I decided to have some fun with this picture, and here's what I came up with (you know am always open for suggestions):

You may like it, but to be honest I made another one from another picture that's gonna make you hate this one. I don't know whether I should post it or not, because if I learned something here, then it's not to submit multiple good banners together. Look what we're doing here; we're taking our best candidates, putting them together in the arena, and smashing them against each others. What happens usually is that the referee wins, and all our champions die!!! lol

I'm gonna give this one a chance, and refrain from submitting the other (unless there's demand of course), because I don't wanna steal the glamour from that one by submitting a fierce competitor just yet...

·
Registered
349 Posts
@Zippo

Well public spaces in BCD are always subject to Solidere's definition of the word in their vocab. I, myself, do not feel at ease with all those security guards wandering arnd, probably with a task to be on the back of anyone pausing their walk for a moment in this spot or that. I hate too feel confided by an unspoken protocol when the place was genuinely public before they took charge.
I believe the walkway bridges to the top of that structure underconstruction arent installed yet. So most likely you would need to climb the stairs up from inside the building. That is why I doubt that it's likely permitted.

I get the point of the cranes.. it makes sense here :) We can always add them up *whispers*

I see you tempered the colors in urs, it gives also a nice different feel to it. I still prefer to keep some bigger yachts visible at the bottom of the banner, because it would show more clearly to unfamiliar viewers that it's a marina and not for intance a car parking lot.

Nontheless, you do not have to worry about submitting good banners all at once. I think the 1st and 2nd runner ups of every voting round should get their spot as well perhaps qued in their respective order to be shown on the forum. Afterall, we are democratic about it, but I hope not limited in the box of our approach. I believe this is fair and what is right to do.
Cheers !

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
Well public spaces in BCD are always subject to Solidere's definition of the word in their vocab. I, myself, do not feel at ease with all those security guards wandering arnd, probably with a task to be on the back of anyone pausing their walk for a moment in this spot or that. I hate too feel confided by an unspoken protocol when the place was genuinely public before they took charge.
This is why I said: "that spot is supposed to be public" instead of "that spot is public". And man, I live in Beirut. This means that I don't perceive Solidere as my expatriate friends here see it. There's a reason I keep updating all the projects in Beirut EXCEPT those in BCD, you know...

I agree about showing the marina and the yachts in the view, as much as I agree with Beiruti about showing the spire of the MT. Given the proportions of the banner, it's

a) either the spire
b) or the marina
c) or have a squeezed content

I've chosen option "d"!

my submission:

Credit also goes to Wissarb for finding the source

I decided to let go of my previous color correction, and keep the golden tint, albeit enhanced. LOTS of mods are here and there to achieve the final mood.

If submitted, this banner will find its way straight to the top 10. You have my word (money back guarantee).

PS: Here's another Philippino banner!! Beiruti, am still investigating and am moving forward in my case. Don't think I've forgotten your question...

·
Under the Beirut Sun
2,051 Posts
^^ this is the best banner we've had in a while! I personally think we should keep the left side slightly darker in order to provide the skyline more contrast and to create the illusion of possibly a time-lapse photo with it being night on the left and sunset on the right. Just my :2cents:

like this:

·
Registered
349 Posts
my submission:

Credit also goes to Wissarb for finding the source

I decided to let go of my previous color correction, and keep the golden tint, albeit enhanced. LOTS of mods are here and there to achieve the final mood.
I LOVE ! I think this banner cant get any better :) Good job zippo, took all suggestions into account, w the end product is surely a top 10 candidate! I salut the good spirit of this team collaboration.
Lets beat those other countries banners asses, cant wait to have this one up !

1021 - 1040 of 1079 Posts